U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
As a guy... I find foundation especially gross and fake.
Simple. Don't wear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 PM

11,031 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
As a guy... I find foundation especially gross and fake.
That is only when girls don't get the correct shade. You shouldn't be able to tell when someone is wearing foundation, but too often girls want to look tanner then they actually are and end up with an orange looking face, and a very clear line of where their makeup ends and at their white neck. Or they don't want to buy a new color for different seasons (lighter in the winter, tanner in the summer). Foundation should match the color of your neck, and a surprising amount of girls match it to their face instead.

Should Foundation Match the Face or the Neck?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 2,115,158 times
StumbleUpon probably had a very unrepresentative sample. Women who heavily use the Internet for more than just texting probably are less femme than other women.

But even if that survey is accurate, it doesn't make me happy. Many of those women might not use many products on a regular basis, but when they're going to clubs or on dates, they probably pile it on. Also, I've noticed that the women who hardly use products usually are the women whose physical attractiveness would be low with or without them. I feel strongly that natural beauty has mostly disappeared and few women know how to present themselves well without garishness or trickery. The higher use by younger women in the survey, along with the many teens and pre-teen consumers of beauty products, points to a shallow, narcissistic future.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM

I think my window to edit has closed. I want to point out that many people don't dress up for class and many working adults aren't working 9-5 jobs, meaning that mornings are going to be loaded with women without a reason to use many beauty products.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
StumbleUpon probably had a very unrepresentative sample. Women who heavily use the Internet for more than just texting probably are less femme than other women.
Who uses the internet for texting? This isn't the 80s or 90s, just about everyone is using the internet for a wide variety of reasons. Using the internet does not make a woman less feminine.

Quote:
Also, I've noticed that the women who hardly use products usually are the women whose physical attractiveness would be low with or without them. I feel strongly that natural beauty has mostly disappeared and few women know how to present themselves well without garishness or trickery.

I normally don't use a lot of smilies, but I think I'll make an exception this time. I don't know how else to really express how I felt while reading this paragraph.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Okay then, texting, Twitter, Facebook, and beauty-related websites - see, I know how to respond to an argument. Outside those categories, heavy Internet users aren't the beautiful people, in general. (Men included.) Because they have more active social lives.

Ridicule my other comment all you like, but the article probably drew attention mostly for being a positive surprise, based on an underlying dislike many people have for a heavy use of trickery, which seems very common among young women these days. Too bad the article probably was a false hope.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
Wha - the ???

Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,705,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Study: Young Women Aren't Actually Using That Many Beauty Products

The article says that on the East Coast women are more high maintenance...
I am skeptical about this. I've always thought that East Coast (particularly Northeast) women were the least high maintenance, in comparison to West Coast (certain parts of California, anyway) and Southern women. What I hear about LA all the time is how image conscious everyone is. And in the South where people are generally more old fashioned and traditional, makeup and fashion is almost a matter of good manners, propriety, femininity, Southern charm, etc. etc.

Quote:
...on the whole we are using fewer products - even though we buy them.
67% of 18-25 year-olds use 0-3 products?
West Coast women use 0-3 products?

I'm not buying it. First of all, people lie in surveys all the time. Second, I don't know if the women surveyed are really taking into consideration ALL the "HAIR, SKIN and BEAUTY" products they actually use in their morning routines. I'm guessing they were only thinking of makeup stuff.

If you use the bare basics in the AM (toothpaste, soap, moisturizer), you're already at 3 products. Even men use more products than that.

I consider myself pretty low maintenance.

These are the tubes and bottles I squirt, squeeze and pour in the mornings:

1. toothpaste
  2. fluoride rinse
  3. shampoo
  4. conditioner
  5. body wash
  6. facial cleanser
  7. deodorant
  8. one of the following: leave in conditioner/pomade/gel
  9. moisturizer
  10. eye cream
  11. lip balm

That's already 11 products. On days where I wear makeup, you can add mascara, eye shadow, bb cream, loose powder and lip stain to that list, for a total of 16 items.

And that's still less than what most other women do, I think. I don't do blush, bronzer, concealer, highlighter, astringents/toners, treatments (e.g. Retin-A), serums, fillers, brow pencil, eye liner, lip liner, perfume, hair spray, hair color/highlights/lowlights, extensions/clip ons, nails, toe nails, etc. etc.

Quote:
Beneath the article are celebs with no makeup. Some, I think, are not recognizable and maybe that's the way they mingle undetected with the public.
I think with celebrities, their 'no makeup' faces seem even more extreme or stark to us because we're so used to seeing them not only with professional, camera-ready pancake makeup jobs, but also airbrushed and Photoshopped to death, and with optimum lighting and the exact right lens filters.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 PM

I don't consider deodorant, soap, toothpaste and shampoo beauty products, and I doubt the survey does. Still, you raise good points. When I have to list prescriptions and supplements on medical forms, I usually forget some items. Many of the survey-takers probably had memory lapses, too. Also, there are combination beauty products (which I generally endorse over separates).

FYI, in the LA area, outside of Beverly Hills, women tend not to be very 'made up' during the day.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
These are the tubes and bottles I squirt, squeeze and pour in the mornings:

1. toothpaste
  2. fluoride rinse
  3. shampoo
  4. conditioner
  5. body wash
  6. facial cleanser
  7. deodorant
  8. one of the following: leave in conditioner/pomade/gel
  9. moisturizer
  10. eye cream
  11. lip balm

That's already 11 products. On days where I wear makeup, you can add mascara, eye shadow, bb cream, loose powder and lip stain to that list, for a total of 16 items.

The first 7 items would be considered personal hygiene products, not beauty products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty