U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:30 AM

4,637 posts, read 6,165,260 times

Advertisements

The one thing I envy most about men in terms of grooming is that they can wear their hair buzzed/shaved.

I would love to be able to completely not think about my hair- be able to roll out of bed and have it look great by just running my hands over it, be able to buy a bottle of cheap shampoo and have it last a year because I only need a few drops to wash my hair with, etc.

Of course it is possible for a woman to have very short hair, but I don't like how that looks on most women, and would not want that look for myself.

Men do need to deal with shaving though. They can wear a beard, but not every guy wants to do that. So I guess they are forced to confront hair to some degree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,075,153 times
Quote:
Yes, but my point is that when we choose to use 4 or 5 products when we can technically get the basic hygiene part done with just 1 or 2 products...we're really moving away from basic hygiene and into beauty/vanity.
I still think the products themselves are in the hygiene category. WHY you (or a person) chooses to select a given product or products, may be for vanity reasons, but that doesn't move the PRODUCT out of the personal hygiene category.

Deodorant, toothpaste, and soap are hygiene products.
Now a person may choose baking soda, Crest or Toms....or Degree, Mitchum, or natural crystals....or Ivory versus a $20 bar of imported Clause Porto soap from Portugal.....they're all still personal hygiene products.

BEAUTY products -- are make up, skin care, and other products to enhance, maintain or change the appearance, or condition of said body part. They are NOT necessary for BASIC hygiene.

"Shampoo' as a product technically could be either. A person CAN wash their hair with soap. Most people DON"T, because IF you're going to wash you're hair you might as well do it with a product that has benefits and makes the hair look or smell good...add moisture, or protein etc.

Personally, I think most people have fallen prey and are suckers for marketers. The beauty biz is a gazillion dollar industry.
There is no way a person needs 3 different kinds of serums, 2 BB creams, 3 peptide creams, consealer, base, setting powder. I don't wear make-up so I can't even name all the products the beauty wizard behind the curatin just makes up out of thin air to get people to fork over their money like lemmings.

But I fall prey to some of that too. I just try to limit the monetary damage to a treat here and there. But that's all relative, too. to a person's income level.
(And it's not just beauty products. Whenever I stroll through high end, main stream department stores (Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom) I MARVEL at the MONEY being spent. Forget about Barney's and Bergdorf Goodman. It's a whole 'nother world. Names and products I never heard of.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,305,876 times
The older I become, the less makeup I use.
The older I become, the more cleansers and creams, micro dermabrasions,serums, acid peels, masks, preventive

Items I use.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM

26,966 posts, read 28,347,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
The older I become, the less makeup I use.
The older I become, the more cleansers and creams, micro dermabrasions,serums, acid peels, masks, preventive

Items I use.
I use these more and makeup less. But I have been using more makeup lately to look more finished.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 PM

192 posts, read 288,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I know I at one time was a makeup and beauty junkie. After finding out all the crap and chemicals they put in that stuff, I quit. I threw out thousands of dollars worth of makeup and sold off all my perfumes, body sprays and so on and that was 2 years ago, haven't looked back since. Now I use only organic and only necessary items like shampoo, toothpaste, soap...those sorts of items. I don't buy lotion, or any beauty products persay. I think as more and more people learn about the crap that goes in our products and foods, people are starting to move to the organic way of doing things and sadly...there really isn't any completely healthy makeup products out there, at least none that I've seen. I don't see organic makeup unless you count chapstick and lotion.
There are plenty of organic products, you just have to look. I had the same problem with all of the chemicals in cosmetics. It actually made me so upset that I started my own business for people who felt the same way as me. www.aphroditesembrace.com. Also as a side note, shampoo is not even necessary. Have you tried "no 'poo", it is a method using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Unless you have a truly organic, sulfate free shampoo. Then in that case, keep doing what your doing

Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM

230 posts, read 506,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
There are plenty of organic products, you just have to look. I had the same problem with all of the chemicals in cosmetics. It actually made me so upset that I started my own business for people who felt the same way as me. www.aphroditesembrace.com. Also as a side note, shampoo is not even necessary. Have you tried "no 'poo", it is a method using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Unless you have a truly organic, sulfate free shampoo. Then in that case, keep doing what your doing
No-poo gives beautiful hair!!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,337,026 times
I can't speak for others but I don't use that many.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,600,089 times
I never use beauty products outside shampoo, deodorant, and cologne, and that's if I shower . On occasion during the winter, I like being a raw male and forgo showering if nobody is coming, I am not going out, and its below freezing.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,279,881 times
I think people are using less makeup because they are using more things life Botox,Juvederm,and fat transfers,and skin lightners.
They also are using more things like eyelash extensions,which aren't considered makeup really.

For ex,I have eye hollows with dark circles.
I'm almost rid of them,from using Juvederm to fill them in and hydroquinone to lighten the darkness.

That means less dark cirles for me. I almost at the point where the only makeup I use is lip gloss,eyelashes,and eye shadow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty