U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:37 AM

31,385 posts, read 18,420,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
People are so stuck up and narrow minded.
That said, you have to keep that in mind. What kind of jobs are you wanting. The same narrow minded people here are the same that do the hiring. You have to cater to their small minds. Facial tattoos and or piercings (including the ear) are going to exclude you from a lot of stuffy office jobs.
Want to work outside, run your own business, work for little pay, then do what ever you want.

I have my eyebrows pierced and both sides of my lip. I took them out, because of aforementioned narrow minded idiots, a while back and they are imperceptible. My ears, on the other hand, are noticeable. I have 4 in each ear. You can see them from a mile away.
That has not kept me from getting any jobs so far.

If you have great social skills, unlike myself, you can get away with a lot more.
Normal ear piercings are not going to keep you from any job. Excessive or abnormal piercings are going to make it harder for you.

I'm going the start my own business route.
Good luck with your new business!

Lucky for me, I don't have to work for idiots haha

I am still debating if I want that look, especially I change my mind all the time. I don't have any piercings on my ear. I have my belly button pierced, that is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
Thirty-four years ago I had four piercings in my right ear (and one in my left.) I was 21. Doing that back then was probably akin to, say, a nose or lip piercing would be nowadays.

Anyway, they have never closed up and I don't recall ever having them get infected. I've never worn heavy earrings, so my ear lobes haven't stretched. Nowadays I typically wear just the standard one earring per ear although sometimes I'll wear four in my right if I want to get blinged up.

I don't think the holes are at all noticeable. Someone would have to be paying quite close attention to my earlobes to see them, I think. If someone were to think less of me because I have four tiny holes in one earlobe instead of the standard single hole, well that's their problem, not mine.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Thirty-four years ago I had four piercings in my right ear (and one in my left.) I was 21. Doing that back then was probably akin to, say, a nose or lip piercing would be nowadays.

Anyway, they have never closed up and I don't recall ever having them get infected. I've never worn heavy earrings, so my ear lobes haven't stretched. Nowadays I typically wear just the standard one earring per ear although sometimes I'll wear four in my right if I want to get blinged up.

I don't think the holes are at all noticeable. Someone would have to be paying quite close attention to my earlobes to see them, I think. If someone were to think less of me because I have four tiny holes in one earlobe instead of the standard single hole, well that's their problem, not mine.
haha yeah! Or they must have 20/20 Perfect Vision!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,159 times
I have multiple ear piercings (2 on each lobe, 2 cartilage on my left ear, and an industrial + a tragus piercing on my right ear).

If you play team sports, you might not want to get those piercings because there are usually rules that force you to take out piercings. Ear piercings in any place other than the lobe aren't meant to be taken in and out of your ear. Once you get the piercing, you leave them there unless you want to change the jewelry.

The holes will eventually close when you take out the piercing permanently, but it will take awhile.

As for infections, I haven't had that problem and I've had my piercings for a couple of years now. What you really need to be careful about is sleeping on the piercings or bumping them in any kind of way. That causes a little bump to form at the site of the hole, and those can be itchy, painful, or just plain ugly.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I have multiple ear piercings (2 on each lobe, 2 cartilage on my left ear, and an industrial + a tragus piercing on my right ear).

If you play team sports, you might not want to get those piercings because there are usually rules that force you to take out piercings. Ear piercings in any place other than the lobe aren't meant to be taken in and out of your ear. Once you get the piercing, you leave them there unless you want to change the jewelry.

The holes will eventually close when you take out the piercing permanently, but it will take awhile.

As for infections, I haven't had that problem and I've had my piercings for a couple of years now. What you really need to be careful about is sleeping on the piercings or bumping them in any kind of way. That causes a little bump to form at the site of the hole, and those can be itchy, painful, or just plain ugly.
Great advice! Thank you!

Yes, I used to play a lot of team sports, but not now. I still swim a lot, so infection can be a pain in the butt.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM

847 posts, read 891,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Multiple piercings are a lot like tattoos. They define people of a certain class.
As do comments like that. It screams "I have a narrow mind"

Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 AM

7,144 posts, read 7,581,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

IMO This is the best post in the thread. Im a guy and have both ears double pierced. I wear earrings in both ears 90% of the time. When I dont wear them, I dont think I have ever heard "ZOMG your ears are pierced?!?!!?". No one even notices. I also went a period of probably 5ish years without any earrings in and the holes never closed.

Personally, I find that multiple stud look incredibly sexy on a woman so I say go for it. It's not trashy by any means.

Also, I have had at least one piercing for the better part of 30 years. (got the four over time) I played football, hockey, soccer, and baseball and never had an issue. Heck just look at most NFLers. They wear their studs under their helmets.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
As do comments like that. It screams "I have a narrow mind"
LOL exactly.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
IMO This is the best post in the thread. Im a guy and have both ears double pierced. I wear earrings in both ears 90% of the time. When I dont wear them, I dont think I have ever heard "ZOMG your ears are pierced?!?!!?". No one even notices. I also went a period of probably 5ish years without any earrings in and the holes never closed.

Personally, I find that multiple stud look incredibly sexy on a woman so I say go for it. It's not trashy by any means.

Also, I have had at least one piercing for the better part of 30 years. (got the four over time) I played football, hockey, soccer, and baseball and never had an issue. Heck just look at most NFLers. They wear their studs under their helmets
aww I totally agree with you. What is so trashy about multiple studs?

Kobe, Michael Jordan, etc they all wear ear studs.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM
EA

5,472 posts, read 4,661,911 times
Infections. Cartilage takes a long time to heal up and thus can get infected easier.
If they are properly healed, the cartilage itself will never close up, BUT, the outer layer of skin can close up.
Cartilage piercings can also deform the ear. Not majorly, just a couple millimeters, at most, around the hole.

Infections in the lobe can happen but they are generally easy to control and stop. The lobe is pretty resilient.
ALWAYS buy quality jewelry. Sub par metals can and will discolor your ear, infect your ear, and even cause you to lose part or all of your ear.
You want surgical steel. No walmart crap. Any tattoo shop will have quality stuff and with the prevalence of it, the prices are on par with the cheap stuff at walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty