U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM

11,041 posts, read 6,579,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's so weird. They just don't stay on my feet. No shoes without backs do. Remember clogs? I couldn't wear them either. It takes such an effort to walk in them.

With backless shoes, only the front of the foot is in the shoe. As soon as I take a step, the shoe comes off. Nothing is holding them on to the rest of the foot.

I'm going to start watching how other people walk, lol. Maybe I have to learn to shuffle.
I can't walk in clogs, those I would need to be gripping with my toes r to keep them on. Too much trouble, especially since they're more for winter and you're wearing socks with them that makes them even easier to slide right off.

But with flip flops they at least have a strap that fits nice and snug against your feet to keep them on. Its all about the fit. When I wear my boyfriend's flip flops to quickly run something outside, I need to grip my toes onto them because they are too loose. But any backless sandal (or dressy shoe) as long as it has that snug fit, I have no problem. And when I say snug, I don't mean tight or cutting into my skin, just no extra wiggle room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM

23,920 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Depends on how old the kid is. My son wore what I told him to when he was younger. Once he reached 14 or so, I let him make his own wardrobe decisions, for the most part. He wore flip flop,s but he knew where he shouldn't wear them, and he didn't.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM

23,920 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's so weird. They just don't stay on my feet. No shoes without backs do. Remember clogs? I couldn't wear them either. It takes such an effort to walk in them.

With backless shoes, only the front of the foot is in the shoe. As soon as I take a step, the shoe comes off. Nothing is holding them on to the rest of the foot.

I'm going to start watching how other people walk, lol. Maybe I have to learn to shuffle.
I don't shuffle in flip flops, ever. You need to find a pair that fit you properly. Try a pair of Reefs.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 PM

68 posts, read 61,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't shuffle in flip flops, ever.
Me neither and I also have no problems keeping them on even while running. In Summer I am 95% wearing flip flops. They are my favourite footwear and since I have no dresscode at work I can wear them there as well.

--
~skywalker~

Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with how often their kids want to wear flip flips? We were getting ready to go to the store this morning and then come home to go to church when I saw that my daughter had on her flip flips. Typical wear to the pool and back flip flops. I've told her before these are not to be worn as shoes and she still keeps wearing them. I don't like it. I think they're bad for your feet to keep wearing them as shoes, not to mention being no protection at all.

My wife thinks I should pick my battles wisely. I've told her this is a battle that needs choosing. So what do you folks say?

Easy fix, throw them out and do not purchase more.
This can happen if you are the adult and she is the child and your wife stands beside you on this issue.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 AM

33,146 posts, read 39,103,690 times
IMO Flip Flops are basically beach wear, to wear them full-time strikes me as some one too lazy to put on a pair of sneakers/shoes, if one wants an open shoe a quality pair of leather sandals is the way to go,Flip flops outside the home or a general beach or country cottage environment is so......trailer trash.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Flip flops outside the home or a general beach or country cottage environment is so......trailer trash.
Well, that is your opinion and I it's okay with me when people think so. I don't.

--
~skywalker~

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 AM

33,146 posts, read 39,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~skywalker~ View Post
Well, that is your opinion and I it's okay with me when people think so. I don't.

--
~skywalker~
The whole topic is about peoples opinions on flip flops, its a given that those who are comfortable wearing flip flops are certainly not going to agree with my assessment, the reading of every ones varying responses is what makes the topic interesting...

Old 09-07-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The whole topic is about peoples opinions on flip flops, its a given that those who are comfortable wearing flip flops are certainly not going to agree with my assessment, the reading of every ones varying responses is what makes the topic interesting...
Yes, you are right. I'm sorry.

My opinion is: it is minimal footwear, that's why I like it. I would go barefoot, if that would not be a) too dangerous in many places, b) forbidden or unwelcome, c) too cold or too hot sometimes.

Flip flops are easy to put on and off, lightweight, comfortable (if you got used to it) and you don't sweat in it.

And they are cheap if you get the basic plastic model. I pay about 1 € - 10 € for a pair. The 1 € ones don't last long, so I prefer to pay a bit more lately.

--
~skywalker~

Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 AM

4,084 posts, read 3,066,094 times
I have a hard time walking in this type of flip flop: Oldnavy.com | Old Navy

But not this type, which is similar to what I wear just about daily: https://www.google.com/search?q=sturdy+flip+flops+leather&client=firefox-a&hs=yZy&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X &ei=NR0rUtjKIYX29gSmy4HgDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=104 7&bih=474#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=-E3f4fuBmRhENM%3A%3BwASqYMQ5YUPOHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F %252Ftrevormorrowtravel.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F03%252FScreen-Shot-2013-03-26-at-4.22.34-PM.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftrevormorrowtravel.com %252Frainbow-sandals%252F%3B992%3B463

I think it's the thickness of the straps and the support of the sole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty