U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,616,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I wear flip flops year round, unless there is snow on the ground, then I wear uggs.
The only time I wear shoes is if I am going to work or to play disc golf but I bring my flip flops with me and change as soon as I'm done.

I can't stand shoes, socks etc.

I wear them as everyday wear, a lot of people do.

No one wants hot sticky smelly feet.
Not if one changes their socks like me, 4 times a day

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 09-01-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,565,247 times
Joe, you sound like my mom did when I was a kid. (she is 78, I am 45) She had all these 'rules' based on the way she was raised. I was not allowed to wear flip flops or sandals to schools because 'Your toe will get caught in one of those big doors" or even wear shoes without socks to school. I did not own any jeans until I was in middle school. I was not allowed to pierce my ears until I was 18. Had to wear pantyhose and dress shoes on an airplane.

Many of these rules were justified in her mind because she "didn't want other people to think less of us" As if anyone cared about her weird standards. I was a nice kid from a nice family and people were not waiting for us to make mistakes so they could judge us.

I'm glad you found a shoe you can compromise on. Flip flops mean one thing to you, and another thing to your children. Standing firm on this subject will not make you a better parent. They are just flip flops.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 PM

183,905 posts, read 74,990,336 times
I hate even to put flip flops on but do when I go out and I've got a gray beard. Now I would have a talk with the daughter about the statement she is making by wearing flip flops to church. There is a time and place for dress wear. She probably is only seeing the comfort of flip flops and it never occurred to her she might me offensive to some of the old line folks. I keep my toenails trimmed and clean so I can wear flip flops all over town shopping and even to a doc's appointment. They are in vogue year round here.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM

16,488 posts, read 15,923,785 times
My school district has strongly, strongly discourages elementary students from wearing flip flops to school. During warm weather almost everyday one or more students scrape their knees or elbows when they fall while running on the cement part of the playground. During the past few years at least two little kids, in my school, broke their arm or wrist because of falling down the stairs when the child behind them stepped on the back of their flip flop and caused them to fall.

Students can not participate in gym class or spots while wearing flip flops, due to safety concerns.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,865,007 times
My 8 year old nieces have them on all the time even around the horses. I don't understand why my sister lets them wear them all the time. They also trip a lot in them as do I when I wear mine

Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 PM

18,869 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Your wife is wise. Listen to her.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 PM

16,488 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
My 8 year old nieces have them on all the time even around the horses. I don't understand why my sister lets them wear them all the time. They also trip a lot in them as do I when I wear mine
OMG! I shudder to think of what would happen to the niece's foot if a horse steps on it.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,194,955 times
I think flip flops in most situations look rather
stupid, so I probably wouldn't buy them to begin with. (And don't anyone get me started on crocs, they are just plain ugly.)

Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,801,709 times
I finally agree. I wore flip flops ('thongs') as an 80's kid. I hated the feel of them in my teens and 20's. only in my latter 30's have I bought and love them.

I honestly have no dressy shoes with dresses or skirts. My boney feet aren't comfy in much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Flip flops on kids are tacky????? Nothing on children is tacky, with the possible exception of designer names plastered all over them.

Flip flops are a summer staple. I wore them as a kid many moons ago, and I assure you, I never had a pedicure beforehand.

Truly a first world problem. And, in many other parts of the world, flip flops are all the kids have.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 PM

973 posts, read 1,801,709 times
I agree. I held my feet up on water rides. Lol I'm trying to get my water/athletic shoes w/o socks 'broke in'. I know I shouldn't have to. I have skinny, boney feet. Everything rubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Tennis shoes are the worst to wear to amusement parks. You'll end up going on at least one water ride, and then your shoes and socks will be wet the rest of the day. Even if its not a wide where you get wet, there all ways seems to be a couple inches of water at the bottom of the ride that gets into your shoes. With sandles you're feet will be dry in a matter of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty