U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 AM

26,878 posts, read 28,163,256 times

Advertisements

I am pear to hourglass. I haven't done peplum with a belt, and most of my peplum items are cotton knits so they drape well, I think that is the key. I have tried on many that have too much flare, and they look funny. Also, some, especially those in stiffer fabrics, are tricky if you are busty. They end up being too high and make your torso look super short.

I have this peplum top and love it! Totally whimsical.

Ohh this is awesome! Terry Moto Jacket. I might have to get this.

Home | Gap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 PM

4,089 posts, read 5,502,748 times
Slim ankle-length pants -- haven't they had their 15 mins. by now?

About 3 years ago, I started seeing ads with high-waisted flare bellbottom jeans. I figured skinny jeans was over, so I ran out and paid $69 apiece for two pairs of the "elephant-bell" jeans. They are still unworn in my closet. That fad just hasn't taken off. Oh well....my skinny DKNY jeans are still in good shape and are very flattering, so that's OK.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
About 3 years ago, I started seeing ads with high-waisted flare bellbottom jeans. I figured skinny jeans was over, so I ran out and paid $69 apiece for two pairs of the "elephant-bell" jeans. They are still unworn in my closet. That fad just hasn't taken off. Oh well....my skinny DKNY jeans are still in good shape and are very flattering, so that's OK.
Hang on to those elephant bells for another 1.5 - 2 years. I've found there's often about a 4-year cycle for things that are a quick, hot trend that don't take off immediately but then hit strong a few years later and everyone is clamoring for the look. I've seen it happen with several silhouette styles. Skater dresses are hot this year, but about 4 years ago a few folks were pushing them and the verdict was then "too junior, too skater-y." This year, they're hitting big. I saw it back in the mid-'70s with midi dresses and that style didn't take off until about 1981. Cold shoulder dresses in the early '90s and in '95 they were everywhere.

So, don't toss them yet. At least wait until it trends back around and if you decide you don't like them then, you can probably consign/ebay for a good price.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,312,678 times
A great scarf is always a good accessory. It's not trendy for me; it's classic - and dresses up any outfit.

I'm surprised that cobalt is a fall trend. Cobalt sweaters might be okay. A cobalt scarf would be great.

I forgot what color "cobalt" is ...

Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,444,482 times
I've seen a lot of leather panelling like the first half of this album. I fell pretty hard for the (faux) leather paneled leggings look and went ahead and bought some. It won't be cold enough to wear them until November but dammit I look good in them.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Peplum is flattering if it fits right on ruler, pear, or hourglass shaped females. If you are apple shaped, it is terrible.
As a pear shape, I am having none of it. Just not my thing. There is zero reason to draw that eye that much more directly to my widest area, my hips. Just, no.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
A great scarf is always a good accessory. It's not trendy for me; it's classic - and dresses up any outfit.

I'm surprised that cobalt is a fall trend. Cobalt sweaters might be okay. A cobalt scarf would be great.

My fiance just got back from active duty for training in Singapore, and brought me back, among other goodies, a cobalt blue silk scarf. Guess I'm set.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I also hate high-waisted. I don't think that look is flattering on anyone who isn't really tall. At 5'1", high waist is NOT a good look for me.
I actually AM really tall, but that's due to long, long legs...I'm actually short-waisted, which is another reason the peplum silhouette is no bueno on me. That's a lot going on on a little torso.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,302,039 times
I lack fashion sense and some of these items are cute but I would think have to be fitted appropriately or could make problem areas worse. The peplum tops for example are cute but the wrong fit I would think could make someone look like they have larger hips. I feel that way about the skinny pants too.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM

26,878 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post

It was the color a few seasons ago. . I have 2 skirts, a motorcycle jacket and a scarf.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty