U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM

10,398 posts, read 7,478,326 times

Advertisements

Pirate: go to goodwill and find a striped shirt you can cut the sleeves jagged. Get some small black sweat pants ir something similar and you can cut those jagged, too. Get a red sash or swath of fabric for the belt. You are allowed to purchase sword and hat. OR you can do the pirate bandanna thing and on that you can hook a bangle bracelet for an earring which can hang off the bandanna right at his ear... Stick a beanie baby parrot on his shoulder and viola!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,162,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thanks everyone for replying. A lot of kind words and great suggestions.

Yes, my nephew loves "tough guy" costumes. He's a man and he wants to protect the girls. That is what he says all the time. He's really adorable and I am his favorite aunt.

He said he wanted to be pirate this year. I will find a costume that is comfortable for him to wear.
I am still looking. I agree the last one looks the best. I will post pictures of him and I together when we find our costumes.
Aloha, Whatever you do don't change your mind in the last minute and find the cutest outfit for him(dont let the mother instinct win) i still have nightmares of my fifth halloween when my mother thought "oh how cute" and bought a costume for me. Imagine a native kid with an inflatable pumpkin on his head and orange face makeup!

The kids at school were merciless and yes my mother still has pictures, nightmares i tell you lol.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 AM

31,396 posts, read 18,435,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

Believe me, I'm not the one to give suggestions on dressing the kids up. That is an absolutely adorable picture you posted of your nephew. I hope you and your nephew have a wonderful time.

It's funny, when my nephew was in pre-school, I was taking care of him at the time, I dressed him up for halloween. My nephew loved it, his classmates, not so sure they liked it. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that costume, but I thought it was cute at the time. Just remembered I still have a picture. my nephew in the pic is around 3 or 4; he was a big baby, tall boy and going on 23 this month, he's a big man. He was like 6 ft at age 10.

Please forgive me for putting this child I loved, so muc, through this get-up. I put the picture in my profile will leave it for a while if you want to see it.
Oh My God, that is the most adorable little clown I've ever seen. He has such a cute little face. Adorable picture, (you and your nephew) Thank you for sharing.

My nephew is about 37lb right now, he is a skinny little fellow. He is pretty tall for his age. (40 inches) My big bro is 6'2" and 185lb, my sister in law is about 5'10. So I know my nephew will be tall. Just want my baby to be happy, that is the most important thing.

My parents are living with me temporarily. They perhaps will move out after New Year. I have been through some tough time lately, and I am looking forward to have my nephew living with me for a while, he taught me to take responsibilities of my own actions. He also taught me to be less self absorbed. ..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Pirate: go to goodwill and find a striped shirt you can cut the sleeves jagged. Get some small black sweat pants ir something similar and you can cut those jagged, too. Get a red sash or swath of fabric for the belt. You are allowed to purchase sword and hat. OR you can do the pirate bandanna thing and on that you can hook a bangle bracelet for an earring which can hang off the bandanna right at his ear... Stick a beanie baby parrot on his shoulder and viola!
Great idea!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
My son is thinking Pirate costume too! He was a wizard when he was 2. Now he likes tough guy costumes.

I think you should get the last pirate one.
I think so too

Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Awww, yes what a cute lil guy; his outfit in the photo you had listed was adorable Lily! I am sure he will have a great time this Halloween, trick-or-treating with you and your dear family
Thank you knight for your kind words. Yes, He is a very adorable little fellow. Everybody loves him. He is well behaved, and has very good manner. He will grow up to be a wonderful man, just like my big brother aka the dad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9052BK-AFO-II-AUTO View Post
Thank you AUTO, maybe he wants to dress like superman next year, but this year, he decided to be a pirate. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyst View Post
I will say Captain Blake will be great for him.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
How lucky - to get to spend precious time with your nephew, remember to take lots of pictures. Little kids don't usually remember the costume they wore as they get older, but they do hate it when it's uncomfortable.
Wigs are itchy, hats if they are too big fall off or to the side, make-up feels weird, face-masks make breathing difficult.
But, if you show him pictures of what you want to do and talk about it, he might feel ready to try your ideas and have fun with it, being included in decisions is a good way to help a four yr old feel like they have some control over their world.
Wonderful suggestions. Thank you !

Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Let him decide and make it happen! You have plenty of time. If he has his heart set on something you should try. My youngest was the costume prince. ALL YEAR LONG. I've made TONS of costumes. He was always happy with them cuz his imagination could perfect them once he put them on.
I agree! Ask him what he'd like to wear. I'm sure the candy will be the priority for him, not the costume.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha, Whatever you do don't change your mind in the last minute and find the cutest outfit for him(dont let the mother instinct win) i still have nightmares of my fifth halloween when my mother thought "oh how cute" and bought a costume for me. Imagine a native kid with an inflatable pumpkin on his head and orange face makeup!

The kids at school were merciless and yes my mother still has pictures, nightmares i tell you lol.
Oh My God!! You tell the funniest stories HBH I am still laughing!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree! Ask him what he'd like to wear. I'm sure the candy will be the priority for him, not the costume.
He said he wanted to be a pirate. I wonder, however, should I allow him to carry a toy dagger?

Yeah, he wanted a big basket for his candy. I wonder though how much candy should you give a four year old little boy? I am completely clueless about this kind of stuff. Should I give him just 1 or 2? I am not too crazy about giving little kids candy, especially my nephew is such a picky eater. He can eat candy all day long, but he doesn't like to eat regular meals at all.

I normally give my neighborhood kids chocolate covered apples. At least, the kids get to eat some fruits.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-05-2013 at 05:42 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He said he wanted to be a pirate. I wonder, however, should I allow him to carry a toy dagger?

Yeah, he wanted a big basket for his candy. I wonder though how much candy should you give a four year old little boy? I am completely clueless about this kind of stuff. Should I give him just 1 or 2? I am not too crazy about giving little kids candy, especially my nephew is such a picky eater. He can eat candy all day long, but he doesn't like to eat regular meals at all.

I normally give my neighborhood kids chocolate covered apples. At least, the kids get to eat some fruits.
Forget the dagger, it would just be in his way . . he wants candy!

Ask his parents how much candy they allow him to eat and follow their lead. Sure, he's a normal kid, and even as adults we prefer sweets to eating a salad.

That's lot of work for you to give out chocolate covered apples and I applaud you for doing it. However, in this day and age when there are jerks (not you!) who give out tainted treats, would it not make parents feel safer to have their kids get store-bought pre-wrapped candy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty