U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He said he wanted to be a pirate. I wonder, however, should I allow him to carry a toy dagger?

Yeah, he wanted a big basket for his candy. I wonder though how much candy should you give a four year old little boy? I am completely clueless about this kind of stuff. Should I give him just 1 or 2? I am not too crazy about giving little kids candy, especially my nephew is such a picky eater. He can eat candy all day long, but he doesn't like to eat regular meals at all.

I normally give my neighborhood kids chocolate covered apples. At least, the kids get to eat some fruits.
Any accessories you will be holding. Lol I found that out with little ones. And if he's 4 he should be able to handle the whole development neighborhood. I used in the past a pumpkin with a handle, a plastic Halloween bag, then found the pillow case works best. (You can shove the accessories in it)

I warned my son that mommy has to inspect the candy before he opens it.

My son could only have a few. He was hyper enough. Now some did put fruitsnacks, fruit, and Halloween coloring books. Don't let your nephew eat any homemade treats unless you know them. Also there is a time frame when the little ones go out before the big boys and girls.

Many skip the door to door and go to the mall. Each store gives the child candy. Warning it gets crowded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
My kids dressed as pirates a couple of years ago. My little one's favorite accessory was her plastic pirate gun, which she wanted to wear in a garter, but I talked her into wearing it attached to her waist.

One thing we did learn was that you can't wear an eyepatch all night without getting a headache.

Also, if he's really into candy, take some candy with you that you know is safe, and when he asks to eat candy on the way, give him one of the pieces you brought.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,208,696 times
I was hoping that someone would suggest that you also wear a costume. I can tell you have such a connection with your nephew!!!

I was thinking along the lines of matching super heroes or cowboy/cowgirl....it would be so great!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,159,032 times
@lilyflower,

Just enjoy yourselves as much as possible. As for the candy, how much or when? Each family has there own standards, and you will have to find out what works 4 you. Just be consistent, children crave that.

I have very fond memeries of Halloween in Hawai'i, my family was die hard Halloween and trick n treaters, sundown to 10pm or later type. Bags of candy, and alot of tummy aches. I cont the tradition with my own keiki. Just have fun, it only comes once a year. Aloha

Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,252,425 times

A PICKLE...

Then he can be cute and hilarious and walk up to the older ladies and say "wanna tickle my pickle"? HAAAAAAAA

Old 09-05-2013, 08:34 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,420,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post

A PICKLE...

Then he can be cute and hilarious and walk up to the older ladies and say "wanna tickle my pickle"? HAAAAAAAA
I don't think my nephew wants to be a pickle. sorry.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think my nephew wants to be a pickle. sorry.
Haha that poster is so bad.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,297,554 times
I remember Halloween being so fun as a kid. I remember having to go to every home to collect candy and filled up a pillow case. Then I would eat a piece here or there and the rest would sit there for a year. I think if parents make a big deal out of the candy and say no it is bad kids want it more. So if you give a piece here or there they enjoy it yet hopefully wont go overboard and probably will forget about it in a week.
I remember though I was a girl dressing up as an M & M. It was really cute costume.
Have you looked at Target or Walmart for kids costumes? It could at least give you some ideas

Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Haha that poster is so bad.
I know. Imagine my nephew being the pickle!!

Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

I warned my son that mommy has to inspect the candy before he opens it.

My son could only have a few. He was hyper enough. Now some did put fruitsnacks, fruit, and Halloween coloring books. Don't let your nephew eat any homemade treats unless you know them. Also there is a time frame when the little ones go out before the big boys and girls.

Many skip the door to door and go to the mall. Each store gives the child candy. Warning it gets crowded!
Great suggestions Raena. Bold = extremely important

I will definitely inspect every candy too. Matter of fact, I will take him to the mall. I feel safer that way. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My kids dressed as pirates a couple of years ago. My little one's favorite accessory was her plastic pirate gun, which she wanted to wear in a garter, but I talked her into wearing it attached to her waist.

One thing we did learn was that you can't wear an eyepatch all night without getting a headache.

Also, if he's really into candy, take some candy with you that you know is safe, and when he asks to eat candy on the way, give him one of the pieces you brought.
I thought about it, and I am not going to allow him to wear eye patch. I am also debating if I should allow him to wear a hat because it is going to be very uncomfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I was hoping that someone would suggest that you also wear a costume. I can tell you have such a connection with your nephew!!!

I was thinking along the lines of matching super heroes or cowboy/cowgirl....it would be so great!
aww thanks for the suggestion. We are going to be pirates this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I remember Halloween being so fun as a kid. I remember having to go to every home to collect candy and filled up a pillow case. Then I would eat a piece here or there and the rest would sit there for a year. I think if parents make a big deal out of the candy and say no it is bad kids want it more. So if you give a piece here or there they enjoy it yet hopefully wont go overboard and probably will forget about it in a week.
I remember though I was a girl dressing up as an M & M. It was really cute costume.
Have you looked at Target or Walmart for kids costumes? It could at least give you some ideas
I am not going to allow him to have too much candy. I will give him one that night and that is it.Thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Forget the dagger, it would just be in his way . . he wants candy!

Ask his parents how much candy they allow him to eat and follow their lead. Sure, he's a normal kid, and even as adults we prefer sweets to eating a salad.

That's lot of work for you to give out chocolate covered apples and I applaud you for doing it. However, in this day and age when there are jerks (not you!) who give out tainted treats, would it not make parents feel safer to have their kids get store-bought pre-wrapped candy?
My chocolate covered apples are also store bought. But you are right, parents nowadays have to worry about safety first. I am a pretty paranoid aunt when it comes to my nephew's safety. I will be holding his little hand the whole time and make sure he wont run away. I think I am going to take Raene's advice and take my nephew to the mall. Mall is at least safe for little kids. I live in a very good neighborhood, but mall is still better in my opinion. He can show off his costume and hopefully make some friends too.

This year I won't be giving out candy to the neighborhood kids myself, but I will still prepare some chocolate covered fruits. I know some kids always come to my house asking for candy because they know I give out the best candy. No reasons to disappoint the children.

========================================

Thanks everybody for replying. I will post new pictures when we find our costume!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty