Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times

Advertisements

it depends where it goes. Most guys (even though a lot won't admit it) don't like skinny women. If we can see your ribs its a turn off. Curvy is attractive. Thicker hips, thicker behind and the right tummy to hip ratio. But if the weight gain was so drastic it disrupted the natural curve of a woman's body (too much weight in stomach for instance) I think most would say it would make a beautiful woman less attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
I think the question should be is healthy for that person.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM

58 posts, read 146,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
There's a fine line.

Scrawn is not attractive. Bloat isn't attractive.

Good old fashioned padding with a healthy glow will beat the other "looks" hands down.

Girls who have extra weight - I'll tell you a little secret - the chub makes your playground really soft, juicy, and much more fun than the skinny girls orifice of gaping emptiness.

True story. Most men prefer padding.

Really...You speak for most men? Are you male? I've never heard anyone say that before.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
I don't think people in this thread realize how much 60 pounds is. Most of the celebrities people are saying look better after they gained weight were either severely underweight to begin with or only gained 30-40 pounds. For reference, a woman who is 5'5 (the average height for American women) and 110 lbs is just ever so slightly underweight according to BMI. Putting on 60 pounds to 170 puts her well into the overweight range and closer to 'obese' than 'normal.' Now if somehow you have magic genes and all the weight goes to your breasts and butt, then yes that could possibly be attractive. Triple chins and a flabby stomach, not so much.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I agree with the reply that states the focus should be on physical health. If you have major health problems from being overweight or underweight appearance will be the least of the issue.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I have lost over 60 pounds in the last year and a half. I certainly look much better now than I did before. I do hope my face doesn't get any thinner, though. I don't think I would look as good.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM

58 posts, read 146,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I have lost over 60 pounds in the last year and a half. I certainly look much better now than I did before. I do hope my face doesn't get any thinner, though. I don't think I would look as good.
Great job!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 AM

370 posts, read 1,369,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Let's face it, a little extra weight is usually no problem for most of us - 10 - 15 lbs. no problem. Sixty pounds is a problem for most people. That is a lot of weight to carry around - hard on your joints. People that are 60 lbs. overweight usually don't look all that great in their clothes, are more prone to diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and can be ponderous in their movements - those things seldom add to someone's good looks.

I've been heavy and I've been thin - thin is better....I love my size 2 clothes, nipped in wastes, skinny jeans, fitted jackets - they rock.

Agreed!

Some people do look better with a few extra lbs on them but I don't know anyone that I can think of that looks better with an extra 60 lbs.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I don't think people in this thread realize how much 60 pounds is. Most of the celebrities people are saying look better after they gained weight were either severely underweight to begin with or only gained 30-40 pounds. For reference, a woman who is 5'5 (the average height for American women) and 110 lbs is just ever so slightly underweight according to BMI. Putting on 60 pounds to 170 puts her well into the overweight range and closer to 'obese' than 'normal.' Now if somehow you have magic genes and all the weight goes to your breasts and butt, then yes that could possibly be attractive. Triple chins and a flabby stomach, not so much.
BMI is a horrible metric. It's pretty much useless

5'5 170 for a woman is not obese. For some it might be (if all the weight is in the gut). But I've dated women who were 5' 5 170 ish and they had nice bodies..far from obese.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
I like wider hips, thick thighs, larger bust-lines, a soft face that isn't too angular etc. This can be found on both smaller and larger women; all about proportions.

Sometimes men focus too much on weight and not enough on the woman. It's a function of dudes wanting a wife but also a trophy. We date women that we think our peers would find attractive. It makes us feel good to say, "Hey, isn't my girl hot?"

Healthy and skinny do not go hand in hand. Skinny fat is much more common than people want to admit. I'll take a woman that's a tad heavy over a woman that's a bit underweight. The idea of women having super flat abs and looking like fitness models is a recent phenomenon. It's probably tied to our culture's detachment of sex from procreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty