Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I like to keep my nails natural now after years of wearing acrylics. I don't even like to polish my nails now (only my toes). One time I got a manicure and she buffed out my nails and they looked real nice.
She used some kind of oil I think and a chemie (sp?) of some sorts.

How do you buff natural nails and what products do you use? How long does the nail look good after it is buffed?

Thanks, ~Roma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times
I have two buffers I use.....One is made by Creative Nail Design, the other is called "The Girlfriend" (I am not sure if that the actual name but that is what is has been called for over 10 years) and I buy them from my beauty salon, an Aveda salon.

As long as I use it one a week, my nails always look clean and neat. I have always been OCD about my nails....back in high school I used to change my nail polish to match what I wore the next day....lol...to have that "free time" now!!! Now I just like to have them nautral and clean.

As far as oil....there is a brand...Solar Oil that has a oil that works beautifully for cuticles.

Good Luck

Last edited by martinez4; 11-15-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: add comment:-)

Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Buy a buffer. I think they have leather on the surface.

Just don't do it too often. I know someone who buffed a hole in her nail once! Painful!

If you do a good job, it looks just as nice as polish.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,565 times
I used to use a leather buffer and nail cream I found on the nail care aisle in the drugstore/supermarket. (I believe the buffer was Revlon.) The cream helped the shine last longer, but it was possible to get a nice shine with just the buffer.

My dd has used the emery board type 3-in-1 buffer that's also found on the nail care aisle. The brand she used was generic, but what a shine! Her nails looked better than mine ever did, and the shine seemed to last forever. The drawback to this type of buffer is that it wears out pretty quickly.

As mentioned previously, buffing is not an everyday regime. It's easy to wear the nail down. If the nail starts to feel warm, it's probably time to stop. Also, be sure to buff each nail in one direction only.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I used to use a leather buffer and nail cream I found on the nail care aisle in the drugstore/supermarket. (I believe the buffer was Revlon.) The cream helped the shine last longer, but it was possible to get a nice shine with just the buffer.

My dd has used the emery board type 3-in-1 buffer that's also found on the nail care aisle. The brand she used was generic, but what a shine! Her nails looked better than mine ever did, and the shine seemed to last forever. The drawback to this type of buffer is that it wears out pretty quickly.

As mentioned previously, buffing is not an everyday regime. It's easy to wear the nail down. If the nail starts to feel warm, it's probably time to stop. Also, be sure to buff each nail in one direction only.
I didn't know the one direction thing. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Yesterday I went to the beauty supply store and bought a Chamois buffer and a jar of Nail Cream. I will try it out today. They also had ruff buffer files to buff out your nails but I thought I would try the soft chamois first.

But even with the soft chamois, do I have to buff my nails in one direction only?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:45 AM

I have only heard not to file in two directions....it is very bad for the nails. But here is a link about buffing:

Buffing Your Nails... What You Need to Know

Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
But even with the soft chamois, do I have to buff my nails in one direction only?
According to the link Martinez4 provided, yes. I double checked because it's been many years since I've seen directions for buffing.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks, one direction it is.
But do you go back and forth in that one direction or do buff in one direction once and lift the buffer up off your nail and start all over? Or do you keep it on your nail and just rub the buffer back and forth? Going up and down on your nail or just up or just down?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Roma,

I have always just buffed back and forth horizionally and have never had any issues as far as burning but I don't press hard or buff for a long time.....maybe 10 seconds on each nail. I think it depends on your own nails.....mine are extremely hard so I may just be an exception. Since it is new to you....try it slow and see how it feels.

Wow.....out out of context those comments sound really odd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty