U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 AM

811 posts, read 980,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It ain't gonna actually happen because people aren't really buying them. Here in NYC at least.
Unless one wants the P. Diddy thug/douchebag look (which most fashionable men in the city avoid)

Look at my thick striped suit and the flower on my giant lapel. And the white tie

http://content.artofmanliness.com/up...2/diddych8.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
Default It's making it's come back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It ain't gonna actually happen because people aren't really buying them. Here in NYC at least.

If you guys have seen movies in the 30's & 40's, the double-breasted look was a polished look in my opinion. The suits these days are terrible, the jacket is very tight looking and the slacks these days are crotch grabbing which looks terrible to me. It's very inappropriate. The look very anorexic and only these anorexic looking pretty boys are wearing them. The one that P. Diddy is wearing below actually looks very sharp and has a normal fit. Very professional and clean.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,079 times
Obviously, I'm biased, but yes, they are making a comeback. Google searches for double-breasted suits have been rising steadily since 2007. Yes, they got ridiculously proportioned in the 90s. No, not everyone looks good in the classic 6x2 configuration, and the typical wide button stance of the top two buttons doesn't look good if you're not very broad-chested to begin with -- have your tailor move them closer together. If you're shorter, you should look for a 4x1 (hard to find, but not impossible). If you're portly, it takes some work to look good in DB, and you might want to skip a lot of off-the-rack suits. But fat guys like Sydney Green in Casablanca succesfully pulled them off in the old days-- but then again his was probably bespoke. It's true, some of the current offerings are a bit tight, and the trousers are peg-legged. That seems to be what younger suit-buyers want these days, and the suit industry, grateful for any customers it can get, is happy to give it to them. They do the same in single-breasted suits. There's nothing wrong with Diddy's suit. I would prefer a slightly smaller lapel, but he wears it well. There's nothing wrong with a flower, and good suits have a boutonniere loop sewn in. The gaudy ring is really the only thing out of place here. That's my horribly biased opinion, anyway. Double-Breasted Suit | The place for double-breasted suits!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM

8,382 posts, read 5,021,700 times
All styles are cyclical. If it is out, just wait a few years and it will be back.

Personally, I love the db. They are classic styling and will always look good.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,349,447 times
Fashion industry would love to replace everyone's wardrobe. $$$$$

Totally impractical, you really can't walk around with the coat unbuttoned, unlike single breasted coats.

That makes them very hard to live with.
They are also hot and constricting.
They also double the fabric right over your belly, most men don't need that!

I spent the last 20 years wearing suits 5 to 6 days per week, and I'm so glad DBs were out of style for all those years.
I wore DBs off and on in the late 70's and early 80's, but never since. And never again.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,021,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Fashion industry would love to replace everyone's wardrobe. $$$$$

Totally impractical, you really can't walk around with the coat unbuttoned, unlike single breasted coats.

That makes them very hard to live with.
They are also hot and constricting.
They also double the fabric right over your belly, most men don't need that!

I spent the last 20 years wearing suits 5 to 6 days per week, and I'm so glad DBs were out of style for all those years.
I wore DBs off and on in the late 70's and early 80's, but never since. And never again.
Why can't you walk around with them unbuttoned?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,461,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
Nobody wears them except David Letterman.
Speaking of which...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsg7b0D64s

I used to love 'em and looked pretty good when I was a 44 long with an 8-10" drop. Got bigger though.

However, I do still have a DB blazer I bought in Miami about 15 years ago that I want to rock someplace/sometime with an ascot

Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
I have a double brested trench that I wear often.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
They've been back in style for about two years now, which means they're still pretty rare. Most people don't have the money to be spending money on something that's still very edgy and yet very formal like a DB suit.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,739,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why can't you walk around with them unbuttoned?
On an unbuttoned double breasted suit jacket, one side has more fabric that hangs awkwardly on the side, giving the jacket an asymmetric look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty