Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,498,430 times

Advertisements

Don't laugh, but I'm posting this for my husband as I'm overly obsessing about whether he made the best decision on what to wear for our vow renewal this weekend. We live in Charleston, SC and wanted to go for a vintage-modern look for we are getting a photography session done after the ceremony and want to blend into the scenery.

Right now, he bought from Brooks Brothers a seersucker jacket and vest in blue, navy tie, and navy trousers. Does that work? Should he go for the seersucker trousers as well? And should he wear a bow tie?

Any suggestions to ease my worries would be great. If need be, I can always go and get a bow tie, but I think it's too late to do anything about the pants since he's out-of-town until the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 AM

50,152 posts, read 63,598,266 times
Yes to the bowtie. The navy pants seem heavy for the seersucker, but if he bought them at the same time, they must look ok together. Do you think so?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 AM

Well we were thinking that an entire seersucker suit looked way too summer-like. I mean, it is still very warm here, but it is September. No one questioned it at Brooks Brothers but I didn't know if we should say "screw it" to the rule of not wearing the entire suit after Labor Day and just do it.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Well we were thinking that an entire seersucker suit looked way too summer-like. I mean, it is still very warm here, but it is September. No one questioned it at Brooks Brothers but I didn't know if we should say "screw it" to the rule of not wearing the entire suit after Labor Day and just do it.
I think the days of those old school fashion rules (no blue with black, no white after labor day, no brown with black) are long gone. Dress appropriately to your environment, climate, and body type. If it's still warm down there, I would say go for the entire suit. It's only the 2nd week in September, so I think you are safe

Also, congrats!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,375,450 times
I would say not to focus on what one *should* wear for a certain season, rather what you want to wear for your ceremony and photographs. I can gaurentee no one will be looking at the photos and say "oh, my, can you believe they wore that - and it was after labor day!"

I assume your DH tried on the clothes at the store, and you were all pleased with the "look".

However, if you really want that vintage look in the photos, I would go with the seersucker pants. I would say the same thing if it was the dead of winter, and you wanted that look for your photos.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,242,613 times
I used to live in Charleston too!

Seersucker is practically the year 'round uniform of well-heeled men in Charleston. I would most def go with the seersucker pants. Between that and khaki shorts and boat shoes - LOL

How casual is your event? if it's rather casual, I'd might even consider dropping the bowtie - however, if it's Gatsby-esque or a "Garden" event then I would probably keep the tie.

What shoes is he wearing?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Well it's just a simple sunrise service at White Point Gardens at The Battery and then we have the photo session. I did call Brooks Brothers today and asked their thoughts on his attire bc in reality, there's noway he can get the pants in time because he's in the military and nowhere near a store. They remember him in the store and think his outfit is fine and definitely think he needs a bow tie. I forget the shoes he's wearing. I think they are brown??? I could totally be wrong. What should he wear?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Well it's just a simple sunrise service at White Point Gardens at The Battery and then we have the photo session. I did call Brooks Brothers today and asked their thoughts on his attire bc in reality, there's noway he can get the pants in time because he's in the military and nowhere near a store. They remember him in the store and think his outfit is fine and definitely think he needs a bow tie. I forget the shoes he's wearing. I think they are brown??? I could totally be wrong. What should he wear?
In the gazebo?? .... wow, how memorable for you. I can't think of many places that are prettier. Great choice!

If he's wearing the navy pants then brown loafers would work just fine I would think.

Oh, btw, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and tell your soon to be hubby we thank him for his service and sacrifice

Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Oh, btw, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and tell your soon to be hubby we thank him for his service and sacrifice
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty