U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,208,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
At least there ARE petite sections.... something is better than nothing.

If I were 4 inches shorter, clothes shopping would be so much easier!
I don't know. Have you SEEN the clothes in the petite sections?!?!

I'd totally take 4 inches of your height if I could. That would solve both our problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's irrelevant. You should have access to flattering clothing whether or not people think your size is "reasonable" or "healthy" or whatever.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
That's the thing that always gets me. People will complain about fat and overweight people looking like slobs and not taking care of their appearance. Wouldn't those people look better (and less offensive to the beautiful people ) if they had stylish clothing options that fit and flattered their figures?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,766,166 times
As someone who is overweight it is hard to find cute items that are affordable as well.

I remember one time looking at my wardrobe and realizing EVERYTHING was one solid color. EVERYTHING. Since then I have worked hard to find clothing with more style, colors, "dimension," etc. I also started wearing cuter shoes, and accessorizing now and then with jewelry. But it still can be difficult.

I have lost well over 20 lbs so it has become easier, but it's still a challenge.

I agree it shouldn't matter what size you are, if you are a size 20 you should have access to more than sacks!

I checked out that site, really cute stuff!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Okay, I am looking at that site right now. OMG...such CUTE dresses!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,819,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
At least you can take them in/hem.
You cannot add length and rise to fit my 5'11" frame.
You can't always hem everything. With pants that are boot cut, y'know, you chop off 6", it's no longer a boot cut. I've bought skirts that I was told couldn't be hemmed as much as I needed because of the cut. So, not quite as easy as you think it is. We have our issues too.

But, I do understand your plight. I worked with a woman that was 6'2" and had a 38" inseam. Her and I had a nice B fest about how she couldn't find pants to fit her long legs and I couldn't find any to fit my short ones (26.5" is good for normal shoes - even short lengths are usually 1-2" too long).

And alas, should either of us complain when my friend is 4'8" and wears boys clothing and shoes, because girls stuff looks too "young"?

Now, my problem is being short and fat. But I'm trying to at least fix one of the problems, so yes, I can find cute clothes and hopefully pants can be hemmed correctly (on average sizes, I'm having to cut off as much as 6"). And I wonder, who's this tall. And you wonder, who's this short.

We should change it to, fashion ends at a size 12 and under 5'4" or over 5'10". Is that better?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,470,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
True, but I shouldn't have to! It's not like short women are rare. Plus, it's not always just a hem issue. A lot of things just don't fit right. The petite sections only have clothes geared toward middle-aged/older women. Apparently if I'm short I must be 50-60 years old and love tapered legs and elastic waists. That said, I do have sympathy for you. It must be frustrating to be on the tall side.
Right. I think being able to shop happily at the mall works great if you're between 5'4" and about 5'8" and an average weight, but if you're outside any of those norms or have parts of your body that aren't particularly proportionate to others, it's a very frustrating experience. If you're tall or short, you're often stuck ordering online or getting weird fitting stuff.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,301,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Which isn't a problem on its own. But mainstream fashion is a different beast than high fashion and should really cater to the masses. Mainstream is failing if 50% of the the audience can't find their size.

I agree. The issue really just boils down to size snobbery. Certain designers do not want to see their designs on the over size 14 woman. It really is their loss. Smart designers (such as Calvin Klein, Ellen Tracy and Michael Kors) have already tapped in to that market because they understand that designing for the plus size market is highly profitable. Profit trumps size snobbery.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 PM

26,896 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I agree. The issue really just boils down to size snobbery. Certain designers do not want to see their designs on the over size 14 woman. It really is their loss. Smart designers (such as Calvin Klein, Ellen Tracy and Michael Kors) have already tapped in to that market because they understand that designing for the plus size market is highly profitable. Profit trumps size snobbery.
Hopefully that happens more often. There are lots of hideous stuff out there for 14+.

I am size 14 and busty. I have so many fit problems! Gaping at the waist in pants. Gaping at the armholes since my shoulders/back are narrower than the pattern.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,500,354 times
Add living in a very rural area. I basically have to order everything on Amazon, and hope it fits.

I go to Vegas or Seattle twice a year, just to shop for jeans, extremely difficult to find that are long enough for someone 6'. I wear skirts and dresses because dress pants long enough, impossible, unless I order from Lands End.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,815,648 times
I always thought taller people had it easier.
Even the shortest of pants are still too long for me!
But yeah we can hem or chop them off - tall people can't "add" as easily. So I get ya.
But I see pants that come in "short" and "regular" and "tall" but there are hardly EVER any left in "Short"
And they are still too long. But, I can deal.

I do agree, the "petites" are usually an out-dated, older style. They tend to look high-waisted and frumpy, or too formal.
Ugh, another problem I have no matter where I shop, the sizes available are the smallest, like 0-3, XXS and XS, or 14-20, XL and XXL. Hardly and M and L, 8 - 12. Nothing in the middle. Why are buyers filling the stores with so many sizes on each ends of the spectrum and not enough in the middle, if that is what is always being bought out so quick. I understand there are people in those sizes, but so often this past year I see an abundance of those sizes ALL OVER, every store, and NOTHING in the in between sizes. I feel like they need so stock WAY more of the middle sizes and less of the others, obviously. If the average size is over 14, why is it that the 8's and 10's are ALWAYS gone? Maybe it's just where I live... but I am having the worst time finding 8's, 10's... in anything.

There is a very specific shirt I'm trying to find. They have it on about 6-7 different websites. (Cannot buy in person) I went on all of them. The only sizes available are XXL and XXXL. C'mon!!!

I would think more designers would be putting out size 14 and up. They would make a KILLING in profit! Hello! Put out real styles, in these sizes. Major sales here... that's where the money is. Not just Lane Bryant. More stores like them would really make a killing. Or have a huge dept store with more variety for the bigger sizes, or a designer that doesn't do the vaniety or stop at 12, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or