U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Reputation: 25993

Advertisements

I actually find, surprisingly, some average pants to be too short for me. Today I was trying on "ankle" pants and they hit me at mid calf. Pant lengths are so hard and I am not even tall. I wish all average pants were a 32 inch inseam instead of 30. 30 is ankle on me.


I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 PM
 
1,463 posts, read 1,813,267 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I actually find, surprisingly, some average pants to be too short for me. Today I was trying on "ankle" pants and they hit me at mid calf. Pant lengths are so hard and I am not even tall. I wish all average pants were a 32 inch inseam instead of 30. 30 is ankle on me.


I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Wow! People laugh at me because capris are ankle pants on me. Or rather often they look like flood pants, I guess they are called. They are just short enough they look ridiculous - like I tried to get full-length pants but I chose wrong and they are just a tiny bit too short. I can't wear them with shoes that you wear with socks, they look really bad - the fall right above the socks, if you can picture that... ugh. Capris really do not exist for my height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 11:14 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,860,258 times
Reputation: 5888
I don't get why there is a problem finding petite clothing. I'm not petite but almost everyone I know is 5'4 or under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Reputation: 25993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Wow! People laugh at me because capris are ankle pants on me. Or rather often they look like flood pants, I guess they are called. They are just short enough they look ridiculous - like I tried to get full-length pants but I chose wrong and they are just a tiny bit too short. I can't wear them with shoes that you wear with socks, they look really bad - the fall right above the socks, if you can picture that... ugh. Capris really do not exist for my height.
Lol. My mom is about 2 inches taller than me and can wear petite pants (I'm 5'4.5). I can't even get in the car when she drives. The seat is so close my legs are hitting the steering wheel. :P

I find it hard to get capris because I have big thighs and small ankles. Most are too wide in the leg so they look stupid on me.


On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 12:14 AM
 
11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Reputation: 18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lol. My mom is about 2 inches taller than me and can wear petite pants (I'm 5'4.5). I can't even get in the car when she drives. The seat is so close my legs are hitting the steering wheel. :P

I find it hard to get capris because I have big thighs and small ankles. Most are too wide in the leg so they look stupid on me.


On an autocorrecting iDevice.
I'm 5'5" and I wear petite pants because my waist is a few inches above my hips. If I try regular cut jeans the waistband is at my bra band. To me I am short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Reputation: 25993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm 5'5" and I wear petite pants because my waist is a few inches above my hips. If I try regular cut jeans the waistband is at my bra band. To me I am short.
I have a short torso and long legs. So low rise = mid rise and mid rise = natural waist. Petite fits in the torso, but not the inseam.


On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:55 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
Reputation: 25113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
True, but I shouldn't have to! It's not like short women are rare. Plus, it's not always just a hem issue. A lot of things just don't fit right. The petite sections only have clothes geared toward middle-aged/older women. Apparently if I'm short I must be 50-60 years old and love tapered legs and elastic waists.

That said, I do have sympathy for you. It must be frustrating to be on the tall side.
My daughter is 5'1" and she fits in the "short" length that lots of jeans come in...American Eagle, Ann Taylor, True Religion, and lots of others all fit her without me having to hem them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Reputation: 20198
I'm what you'd call full-figured petite. I'm overweight, but not obese. Not a true hourglass figure, but I have a big bust, a much smaller waist, and my hips are almost the same size as my bust. So it's an hourglass-ish figure

Petite tops - I don't even try anymore. In order to wear button-down shirts I'd have to have them either custom made, or altered. For what - just so I can show people that I'm wearing a button-down shirt? Screw that. I wear pullovers and polo shirts, where I never have to worry about gaps or my shoulder seams falling down to my elbows.

Petite pants are a mixed bag - I think I do better with just normal pants in the "short" category, rather than a true petite. Petites are often higher waisted, and have narrower hips. I need a lower waist (not those teenage uber-low bikini-line ones - I just need my bellybutton to not be covered), with fitted hips. And I can't wear pencil-legs or fat-flares. Just normal bootlegs are the best style for my shape.

Edited to clarify: I'm 5'2.5" and shift between a size 10 and 14, depending on the brand/cut/style. The rare times I can find a dress or pair of pants that actually fit properly in a "petite," It's a 14. In "non-petite but short" brands it's usually a 12, and occasionally a 10.

Last edited by AnonChick; 09-08-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 AM
 
994 posts, read 1,199,325 times
Reputation: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I do not sympathize with the lack of petite options, as they are way more of those than tall options!
Yes! As a woman who is 5'10/5'11, I completely agree with this. Finding pants that don't look like capris is near impossible unless I go to stores like Old Navy where they carry "tall" sizes.

Then there's the issue that I have a smaller waist, but a huge bust and that makes it pretty hard to find shirts that flatter my figure.

There are plenty of online stores that cater to specific body types, but I personally don't like purchasing clothes online. Anyone who's having trouble finding clothes in regular stores should give that a try, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Reputation: 48613
Finding pants that are long enough is one major reason I typically wear dresses and skirts.

I do NOT shop for clothing online, unless it's to order another color of something that I already have or similar. Trying things on is a must, for me, and I'm not patient enough to do the shipping back and forth thing when the fit is inevitably not quite right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top