U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,215,589 times

Advertisements

I use body wash or regular soap. Shaving cream makes me sneeze and it makes a much bigger mess. Haven't used shaving cream in years.

Electricals don't do a good job on my jaw line when I need a real close shave for something important like a job interview or first date. On a whatever day, I just use my electric and it gives more a 1 day after shave than a close shave which I'm cool with. I do use the electric foliage clip for my mustache subtle...I hate how it looks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM

183 posts, read 208,533 times
Most shampoos are too drying for this. I prefer a really emollient shaving cream or body soap.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 AM

11,136 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I cleaned my face, arms, legs, and yes even pubes in maybe an hour. Applying soap/creme to that and going up and down takes the better part of two hours just for the legs.
Two hours to shave your legs with soap/creme?! What are you doing? That shouldn't take more then 10 minutes. About once a week I'll go over my legs twice, and exfoliate with a sugar scrub before, between, and after and even that only takes about 5 minutes. A normal everyday leg shave takes about 2 minutes tops. Underarms are another 30 seconds, so about 2 minutes and 30 seconds for a complete shave with shaving cream.

Seriously, two hours?! 120 minutes on just your legs?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 AM

11,136 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I use coconut oil as shaving cream --- it lubricates the blades, and gives me a nice, close shave.

Plus, it softens and conditions skin, and extends the life of the blades.
I have the opposite problem. After one shave the razor is clogged up with dried coconut oil. No amount of hot water seems to help. I use coconut oil in my hair, and use it to make sugar scrubs, so I'd love to use it with shaving as well, but I just can't spend hours trying to get my razor all cleaned up and functional for the next shave.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,948,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Electric razor. I don't know why every guy doesn't use one instead of a blade.
I love my electric razor but it's time to replace the head and it's just too much! It costs $30 plus shipping to replace!!!! They don't sell them in the stores. I don't even think the razor costs $30 new so why is a new head $30???

Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,716,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Are you kidding? One, you're probably using the straight edged ones (the rotary blades are way better!), and two, you can actually just rest it on the area and have it continue to eat your hair. You're probably like many others that tries to use it like a razor with long jerky motions. I cleaned my face, arms, legs, and yes even pubes in maybe an hour. Applying soap/creme to that and going up and down takes the better part of two hours just for the legs. If I really need it smooth, I can go back over it, but generally, to shave my face to baby smooth takes 15 minutes at most, with no cuts on areas that routinely get blood flow. Versus about 30 minutes of going over it again and again, because that razor is old/blunt/has hair caught between the blades. Plus, considering alot of people don't reuse them, you're wasting a ton of money for a single use tool.

Get a Norelco razor that has a back straight blade. Use the straight blade for heavy wire, then use the rotary for cleanup.

2 hours - 30 minutes - are your leg hairs made out of rhodium or something?

I use an old Venus non-disposable, with the triple-blade. Normal regular soap (like, Dove, or Lever2000, or Dial "Fresh and Natural" because I like the smell of them). Takes me less than a minute per leg - another 30 seconds for my armpits. I might take a full minute per upper leg to do the bikini line, but only because the hairs are so light and the light in my shower so dim that I have a hard time seeing the hairs to shave them, and I go over the area a few times just to make sure I get them all.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,317,695 times
I heard a lady on YouTube say she uses Jergens lotion to shave facial hair. She said it works well.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM

300 posts, read 1,468,990 times
For shaving my legs, I find bar soaps & hair shampoos too drying (although I just lather up bar soap in the shower to shave my armpit hair.) Using hair conditioner or oils for shaving legs? Seems too "thick" & would clog up the ravor? (I just use Daisy disposables or whatever's on sale.)

What I've been using for years to shave my legs is shower gel-- usually Suave brand, can get great sale prices on huge containers at drug stores/discount stores or even just the supermarket.

Not too drying/not too "thick", nice fragrances also, currently using Mango Mandarin!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,584,903 times
I use shampoo, body wash or conditioner.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,584,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I heard a lady on YouTube say she uses Jergens lotion to shave facial hair. She said it works well.
I used lotion before too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty