Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Electric razor. I don't know why every guy doesn't use one instead of a blade.
Because it's fun to play with sharp objects while groggy with sleep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 16 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,826,092 times
I use coconut oil as shaving cream --- it lubricates the blades, and gives me a nice, close shave.

Plus, it softens and conditions skin, and extends the life of the blades.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,360,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Junk! Takes twice as long and does half the job. Ok for kids with a little fuzz, but not men with a thick wire patch.
Are you kidding? One, you're probably using the straight edged ones (the rotary blades are way better!), and two, you can actually just rest it on the area and have it continue to eat your hair. You're probably like many others that tries to use it like a razor with long jerky motions. I cleaned my face, arms, legs, and yes even pubes in maybe an hour. Applying soap/creme to that and going up and down takes the better part of two hours just for the legs. If I really need it smooth, I can go back over it, but generally, to shave my face to baby smooth takes 15 minutes at most, with no cuts on areas that routinely get blood flow. Versus about 30 minutes of going over it again and again, because that razor is old/blunt/has hair caught between the blades. Plus, considering alot of people don't reuse them, you're wasting a ton of money for a single use tool.

Get a Norelco razor that has a back straight blade. Use the straight blade for heavy wire, then use the rotary for cleanup.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
I use my bodywash.

It works if your hair isn't too coarse.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Electric razor. I don't know why every guy doesn't use one instead of a blade.

Electric does not even come close to a blade. I tossed my electric after college.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,929,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Junk! Takes twice as long and does half the job. Ok for kids with a little fuzz, but not men with a thick wire patch.
Yikes, what exactly are you shaving being a man with a "thick wire patch"? I probably don't want to know but I've been happy with Norelcos since I was 16. Electric razors are way better, you can use them and lay down and watch TV, no one really needs real razors

Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
I've always had triple blade Norelcos and am probably on my 6th one by now. They simply do not get me as close as a disposable, so I only use it to go over my face for anything I missed with the blade.

On those times when I was rushing to go out and simply needed to make my face somewhat cleaner, I will use the Norelco by itself, but it simply does not get my beard deep down clean like the blade method. It is just an acceptable shave, not a really close shave. I also find that I get razor burn from the Norelco if I try to just use it to remove all my growth.

Don

Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,106,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Are you kidding? One, you're probably using the straight edged ones (the rotary blades are way better!), and two, you can actually just rest it on the area and have it continue to eat your hair. You're probably like many others that tries to use it like a razor with long jerky motions. I cleaned my face, arms, legs, and yes even pubes in maybe an hour. Applying soap/creme to that and going up and down takes the better part of two hours just for the legs. If I really need it smooth, I can go back over it, but generally, to shave my face to baby smooth takes 15 minutes at most, with no cuts on areas that routinely get blood flow. Versus about 30 minutes of going over it again and again, because that razor is old/blunt/has hair caught between the blades. Plus, considering alot of people don't reuse them, you're wasting a ton of money for a single use tool.

Get a Norelco razor that has a back straight blade. Use the straight blade for heavy wire, then use the rotary for cleanup.
15 minutes?? I shave my face in about 3 minutes. Maybe get a small cut about once every 5 years.
Single use?? I use a blade for about 7-10 days. It does cost more, but way worth it imo.
Arms, legs and pubes That takes me 0 minutes.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,089,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yikes, what exactly are you shaving being a man with a "thick wire patch"? I probably don't want to know but I've been happy with Norelcos since I was 16. Electric razors are way better, you can use them and lay down and watch TV, no one really needs real razors
I tried a variety of electrics when I was younger (including Norelco) and all of them caused massive irritation and itching. A few years ago I went old-school and started using an old fashioned double-headed razor and have never looked back. It gets the closest shave imaginable and causes no irritation whatsoever. There's a good reason why the "old-fashioned" DH is still in widespread use pretty much everywhere outside Canada and the United States.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,253,473 times
I have the kind of electric razor that just pulls the hair out from the roots--not much fun really--painful but does last for a long time. Don't use it much! Electric razors have just never done a good enough job--no challenge either--let's see if I can keep my skin in one piece or will I cut it this time??? Yikes. I'm very lucky to have very little hair anyplace on my legs or under my arms so I just swipe the old hand razor with a little bar soap and am good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty