Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 PM

284 posts, read 339,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kinda generic-looking, if you ask me. Average. Try smiling, see what that does for you. It can make a big difference.
Ruthie! I don't agree that this guy is generic looking or average. Looking at his bone structure, I would say he has great potential. I do agree that a smile would go a long way to improving his appearance. Add good posture and a great skin care regimen and MAM is well on his way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,720,601 times
It is funny reading this thread, most men do not know whether they are attractive or not, it really depends on their confidence and the way the grew up. Personally I was overweight in high school, and to this day I do not think I am attractive, even after I lost the weight in my late teens and early 20s. But I do know that every girl I ever dated outside of my current wife hit on me and asked me out or found a way to show up where I was at, even last month at my 20 high school reunion I had some of the best looking women I went to high school asking me inappropriate questions about my marriage and my wife, yet if you ask me I am below average looking.

For women it is different, most are told they are attractive even when they are not, and the ones that get hit on constantly than it is easy to think highly of their own looks. Outside of little old ladies and our mother most guys never hear that from women, or if we do it is 2nd or 3rd hand from friends who tell us that some girl thinks we are hot.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,112,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
For women it is different, most are told they are attractive even when they are not, and the ones that get hit on constantly than it is easy to think highly of their own looks. Outside of little old ladies and our mother most guys never hear that from women, or if we do it is 2nd or 3rd hand from friends who tell us that some girl thinks we are hot.
I was once told from a 3rd hand source (co-worker) that a women we used to work with (got transferred) thought I was good-looking and wanted to f*ck me. By the time I found out, she had already been gone for 6 months.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,679,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
I was once told from a 3rd hand source (co-worker) that a women we used to work with (got transferred) thought I was good-looking and wanted to f*ck me. By the time I found out, she had already been gone for 6 months.
Go find her!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM

5,312 posts, read 6,077,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post

Agreed. I have 1 pic here, but it's in my profile, only friends see. Otherwise, posting pix online is risky because you're bound to have people say every nasty thing about you, or they won't respond, which basically means the same-they had nothing good to say.
Yep it was stupid of me but I wanted validation so badly that I was attractive that it clouded my judgement of what I really look like

Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,387,425 times
Speaking to the OP (and speaking as a male):

I gather that, by and large, once women get beyond the teens and young adulthood stage (their early to mid 20s, though sometimes even before this for some of them), they come to learn that a male’s looks/physical appeal are only one piece of a bigger picture and don’t find themselves embracing men just because they are “good-looking”, “handsome”, “hot”, “cute”, et al . . . and, in fact, what they consider to be “good looking” may even adjust beyond earlier, more rigid standards they held to. Even I, as I advanced through my young adulthood years (and I am 60 now), found that I could be attracted to a broad or broader range of females than I had earlier imagined . . . even to plainer women and the “girl-next-door” type of women. I’ve even been attracted at times to older women at times when I was a younger man in his 20s or 30s (e.g., women who were 10, 20 or 30-ish years older than me at the time) . . . meaning that they may not have been what I ideally pictured as the ultimate standard of attractiveness but, with all their whole-person attributes taken together, they had appeal to me and I would have been open to even bedding them (and did, in some cases). And even if their body types, facial types, style of dress, et al weren’t “picture perfect” in the ideal sense, they had an appeal about them nevertheless because of the total way that they carried themselves and how they treated me and related to me. If a woman kisses well and is giving of herself as to her affections, has soft skin, has some semblance of the traditional female shape that we all ideally yearn for (even if not ideally taunt and tight, shapely, and picture-perfect), she can still be appealing to me. She doesn’t have to look like a professional model or Hollywood starlet or to even look “hot”. She can look like the more plain- or regular-looking perennial “girl next door” and still be appealing to me.

I shared the above (i.e., about WOMEN’s attractiveness/physical appeal) to reflect now on the same aspects and issues regarding MALES. What I’m trying to convey to the OP is that, as long as you have a reasonable semblance of visually attractive attributes, you can be attractive to and pursued by women (even the very attractive ones) IF you have the rest of the package deal to offer her. A woman, by and large (except for the most shallow ones, which includes a good many of the very young ones), can find a man attractive who has the mere-to-middling basics of physical attractiveness but then also coupled with an engaging personality, good conversational manner, a reasonable sense of self-confidence/self-comfort (but without coming across as any type of arrogant jerk), a well-enough developed sense of humor and fun that he conveys (without overdoing it), and being a man who can convey to her (somehow or other) that he is the kind of man who means to do right by her and treat her well (i.e., being a man of good character). After all, attractive/handsome/hot/cute males truly do come a dime a dozen in this world . . . as do beautiful/attractive/pretty/hot/cute females as well. Remember that our planet has nearly 8 billion people in it (per this writing) and said to be ever-increasing over time . . . which means that there are PLENTY PLENTY PLENTY of attractive opposite-sex persons available for consideration by all of us. As long as we do our very best to accentuate the best of our physical appearance otherwise (i.e., trying to keep in shape as best as one can;, always trying to dress well in a way that best compliments us; taking care of our personal attributes such as hair, teeth/smile, skin condition, personal hygiene and grooming; et al), we have a chance with any number of attractive-enough opposite-sex persons. But we can’t just get by on our looks, or not beyond a mere modicum. You might even get a single date or two here-and-there with some woman or even a one-nighter from someone, but if you can’t convince her that you are more than just an appealing outer shell, it won’t go anywhere.

For example, in large social gatherings that I used to go to some years ago (over a course of eight years), there was one man whom I’d see at these large gatherings often enough who was VERY VERY handsome (even gorgeous), rather tall, a great face and hair, always dressed very well, et al. He looked like a professional model (like someone you’d see on the cover of GQ Magazine) or like a Hollywood leading man. I’m sure that every single woman (and even all the men) found him EXTREMELY attractive, and yet he most often was seen by me to be by himself or, even if surrounded by alot of other people circulating in the same areas (both males and females), the females there would all seem to be giving their attention to OTHER men there beside him or to other women instead of to him. And then once when I was sitting at a very big banquet table at a Christmas party (with him coincidentally sitting right next to me), I struck up a conversation with him and others in my proximity (covering music, politics, culture, etc. etc.) and he was hardly conversant at all to my recollection. All the others there were engaged in a back-and-forth give-and-take conversationally and he could hardly seem to have anything to say and hardly even smiled (unless I didn’t see it or notice it). In short, he came across as rather dull and without much of a developed personality at all (although seemingly nice). THE LESSON: Even with his gorgeous manly looks, tall stature, and impeccably dressed appearance, he didn’t convey that there was anything much there to sink one’s teeth into. He seemed very very soft-spoken and shy. And I imagine that any women who tried to strike sparks with him and see where it goes pretty much came out feeling that there wasn’t anything much beyond his great looks to carry him. And guess what? He would perennially be seen by me at these large social gatherings (over the course of years) to be standing or sitting around stoically by himself and with all the females engaged with other females or with the other present males.

THE LESSON: Don’t be too too preoccupied with outer physical looks and then give short shrift to all the other aspects of your total being (as though your looks will always carry you through and compensate for all other dimensions of you). It does matter how you look (no doubt) but other aspects of you, such as discussed above, can make you very attractive or attractive enough to females even if your outer physical looks are not ideal. I’ve seen it happen time-and-again, with both males and females, over the course of six decades of living thus far.

Last edited by UsAll; 08-26-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 PM

957 posts, read 1,055,943 times
If women stare at you or start small talk with you, ask stupid questions that they could've found out other ways easily, you're probably good looking.

That happens to me all the time now, back when I was skinny women used to avoid me like the plague.

Lol.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,234,122 times
Drunk women tell me I'm good looking =)

Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,679,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Drunk women tell me I'm good looking =)
Oh shut-up you are gorgeous.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:09 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,112,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Go find her!!!!!!!!!
This happened 5 years ago and I had since forgotten about about it till this thread; So....no, I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty