U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Why do so few gay men grow their hair long?"

Very few men - hetero or gay - grow their hair long.
No need to single out a specific group.
True, it's not as much in fashion as before. A lot of gay guys dress just like straight guys, of course, too, but it seems among gay people I know and those depicted in the media i can't think of a single example, or perhaps one or two, with long hair. Also I've been to gay clubs a couple of times and I don't recall any guys there with long hair either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM

1,859 posts, read 1,958,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
YES, I know most gay men are not transexual and are not trying to look like women, so it's not about that.

I know they want to look like men, but I don't think men who grow their hair long - hippies, or say rockers - are trying to look like girls either.

I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals.

The funny thing is, the number of gay men with long hair (I mean long as the typical woman) seems very very low...indeed i'm not sure I know of any, either in the media or in real life. Perhaps one or two.

Most gay men actually seem to prefer shorter cuts - or even crew/buzz cuts or clean shaven.

Wonder why that is? Is it part of the gay sub-culture (something I'm not a part of). I hope I don't sound like an ignorant hetero, but it's just something I've wondered about. I mean plenty of lesbians cut their hair short to look butch (not saying they're trying to look like men, although some might) yet it seems rare for gay men to have long hair.

Or maybe I'm just not noticing it?
Gay guys are the ones who started the whole shaved head movement back in the 90's, while the straight guys were still doing those ridiculous comb overs. Also, gay guys are responsible for making military haircuts, particularly high'n'tight hair cuts fashionable. It seems whatever gay guys do, the straight guys eventually join in. Gay guys are the trend setters.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
I fail to see the concern with having short hair. Is the OP concerned that having short hair will out him as being gay? Both my brother and I have short hair and he is gay while I am not. Then again like my other 3 brothers he has lost his hair. I have not but still prefer it short. Oh and the guy that cuts my hair is gay. Lot of guys go to him for a hair cut because he is good at what he does. Styles come and go. Short for guys is in. To top if off when you become an adult chances are you will maintain it short anyway. Maybe time to become an adult. LOL

Old 09-14-2013, 12:30 PM

76 posts, read 103,054 times
I used to work at an adult video store where a large percentage of our customers were gay or bisexual. Of all of them I only remember one who had long hair and his was the most luscious, gently cared-for knee-length blonde hair. Very handsome man. And no, I'm straight, thanks.

But as for the rest of them I'd say they all kept their hair short. Not so much to reflect any sort of orientation but just because they looked like normal, everyday people.

And for the record I don't work anymore so I have a beard and hair down to my navel, mainly because I'm sick of cutting it every couple weeks and also because it's hard to headbang properly without it.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 PM

13,632 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Kenny Powers has long hair.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yep. I rarely see men with long hair, and honestly, the ones I do see aren't exactly the most stylish guys on earth.
Yep...gay men largely tend to skew toward the more fashion-conscious (though not always the case, obv), and long hair for men is fairly dated, right now...not exactly cutting edge. Many gay men pride themselves on being cutting edge, fashion-wise. Why embrace a look that's not particularly stylish?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,242,742 times
Default Works for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
YES, I know most gay men are not transexual and are not trying to look like women, so it's not about that.

I know they want to look like men, but I don't think men who grow their hair long - hippies, or say rockers - are trying to look like girls either.

I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals.

The funny thing is, the number of gay men with long hair (I mean long as the typical woman) seems very very low...indeed i'm not sure I know of any, either in the media or in real life. Perhaps one or two.

Most gay men actually seem to prefer shorter cuts - or even crew/buzz cuts or clean shaven.

Wonder why that is? Is it part of the gay sub-culture (something I'm not a part of). I hope I don't sound like an ignorant hetero, but it's just something I've wondered about. I mean plenty of lesbians cut their hair short to look butch (not saying they're trying to look like men, although some might) yet it seems rare for gay men to have long hair.

Or maybe I'm just not noticing it?
X-ray thin, close cropped hair, toned, bit of eye liner. Peels the years back.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setiq View Post
Maybe you are not familiar with gay or gay culture. If you think you can tell if someone is gay just from their appearance, think again. Of course, some gay people may have "looks" that you think are just gay, but equally many people don't have that typical appearance. If you talk to them or get to know them, then at one point you would notice that they are gay, probably because of the way they talk or behave---although this can be subtle, so you may not be able to tell.... I guess depending on your "gaydar"

I will not say you are an ignorant hetero. You are just not familiar with that culture, I guess. That's all. And it's good that you are curious about it and ask. At least you are willing to hear from someone.

For exactly same reason, there is quite a wide spectrum of lesbian. If you imagine lesbian being butch, that's only part of lesbian population. There's the other end of it also--you just might not have noticed it.

Also, I have to disagree with you on this. You call guys having long hair being sissy or girly. I really don't think so. I think it would be fair to call them "weirdos" for having long hair, but being girly or sissy isn't the right way to describe them. No one calls or considers those 80 rock stars girly. I would actually consider them "ignorant" if they call someone being girly just because of the long hair. Even though they have long hair, there is not one bit that makes me think they are girly... many of them are far from feminine (I guess one exception is boy george...). Think about this---Jesus had long hair--at least according to those pictures around us, right? Have you ever thought Jesus being girly because of those pictures? It's the same thing.

To me, there are so many features of people that make someone "girly." Having long hair isn't a big part of it at all. As for me, I'm not gay, but I like being girly (in the closet). Frankly, I occasionally dream of having long hair, but that dream isn't very different from other daydream that I wish I had female's body line, which can't turn to reality anyway. Also I know very well how inconvenient to have long hair, so I'd rather wear wigs if I want to go in that mood.
I think you missed the point.

The OP isnt trying to "guess" which men are gay by their hairstyles....I think the key is that from the gay men who you KNOW to be gay, a lot of them seem to have short hair.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:28 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
Would a straight man ever wear a touch of eyeliner or is it something only a gay would do?

Old 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I fail to see the concern with having short hair. Is the OP concerned that having short hair will out him as being gay? ...
The OP asked a question, which seems to me to be valid given that many of the men who are openly gay in the media do have short hairstyles. They also seem to have great bodies because of their interest in working out. (I've always assumed the short hair was just easier to maintain for people who spend so much time in the gym.)

Postman, since so many gay men still don't feel they can be open about their sexual preferences, I think it's easy for hetero people to think that the West Hollywood stereotype of gay culture is the norm nationwide. It might be the face of gay culture, in the way that geeks are the face of the IT culture, even though not everyone in that world is a geek (some of them are even ... hold on to your hat ... women).

But there are plenty of gay men who have long hair. Gay Longhair Gallery Someone else also pointed out the very typical gay subculture known as "bears." Personally, I know more gay men who fit that description than the West Hollywood type, but I don't live in a place where anyone seems to be particularly interested in fashion.

As for the OP's observation, "I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals," that is indeed true. But it was the 1960s, not the '70s. I was in public school in Pennsylvania in the 1960s and boys could get kicked out of school by letting their hair grow over their collars. I have a strong memory of my Spanish teacher openly torturing a good-looking young man who adopted a Beatles hairstyle. NOT a Sgt. Pepper Era Beatles hair style (shoulder length with accompanying facial hair). I mean the relatively benign Meet the Beatles bangs. The teacher berated the student repeatedly and when he ignored her she brought in a ribbon and tied a bow in his hair to mock him. She made him wear the bow every day. To his credit, he DID, and she was the one who looked like a fool. And all of us girls (forced to wear skirts every day, just for the record) were crushing on him, totally defeating her purpose. By the 1970s, long hair on men was so ubiquitous that public schools gave up on enforcing a rule against it, much as they do for visible tattoos today.

I'm glad that there's a lot of leeway today in style and that people can engage in personal expression. For every gay ice skater in the world who wears his make-up even off-stage, there are gay men who look more like Ted Nugent. So there's no way to make assumptions about styles equating sexual preference for men. As for lesbians, there are just as many "lipstick lesbians" out there in the world than there are ones who look like K.D. Lang, so no-go with equating fashions styles with sexuality for women either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty