U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 04:55 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why do so few gay men grow their hair long?
I've been there, done that. Now I prefer to keep my hair short. Its easer to take care of, and I think it just looks better.

I like clear lines between masculinity and femininity. Short hair on men and long hair on women is a great way to accomplish that. I also think that long hair on guys usually doesn't look that great. I suspect that it is probably that guys don't take as good a care of their hair, as women do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think you missed the point.

The OP isnt trying to "guess" which men are gay by their hairstyles....I think the key is that from the gay men who you KNOW to be gay, a lot of them seem to have short hair.
Thanks, exactly...it's more i notice men who are out or who seem gay, very very few, even a lower percentage than straight males, seem to go for the long style. In fact very short styles seem popular, just go to a gay club.

And again, no, I'm not gay myself, don't people read?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:42 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The OP asked a question, which seems to me to be valid given that many of the men who are openly gay in the media do have short hairstyles. They also seem to have great bodies because of their interest in working out. (I've always assumed the short hair was just easier to maintain for people who spend so much time in the gym.)

Postman, since so many gay men still don't feel they can be open about their sexual preferences, I think it's easy for hetero people to think that the West Hollywood stereotype of gay culture is the norm nationwide. It might be the face of gay culture, in the way that geeks are the face of the IT culture, even though not everyone in that world is a geek (some of them are even ... hold on to your hat ... women).

But there are plenty of gay men who have long hair. Gay Longhair Gallery Someone else also pointed out the very typical gay subculture known as "bears." Personally, I know more gay men who fit that description than the West Hollywood type, but I don't live in a place where anyone seems to be particularly interested in fashion.

As for the OP's observation, "I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals," that is indeed true. But it was the 1960s, not the '70s. I was in public school in Pennsylvania in the 1960s and boys could get kicked out of school by letting their hair grow over their collars. I have a strong memory of my Spanish teacher openly torturing a good-looking young man who adopted a Beatles hairstyle. NOT a Sgt. Pepper Era Beatles hair style (shoulder length with accompanying facial hair). I mean the relatively benign Meet the Beatles bangs. The teacher berated the student repeatedly and when he ignored her she brought in a ribbon and tied a bow in his hair to mock him. She made him wear the bow every day. To his credit, he DID, and she was the one who looked like a fool. And all of us girls (forced to wear skirts every day, just for the record) were crushing on him, totally defeating her purpose. By the 1970s, long hair on men was so ubiquitous that public schools gave up on enforcing a rule against it, much as they do for visible tattoos today.

I'm glad that there's a lot of leeway today in style and that people can engage in personal expression. For every gay ice skater in the world who wears his make-up even off-stage, there are gay men who look more like Ted Nugent. So there's no way to make assumptions about styles equating sexual preference for men. As for lesbians, there are just as many "lipstick lesbians" out there in the world than there are ones who look like K.D. Lang, so no-go with equating fashions styles with sexuality for women either.
Yeah at least someone sort of sees what I'm getting at. Yes, it's amazing that the 'mop top' was seen as shocking back then lol.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Why do so few gay men grow their hair long?

The real burning question is why do so few women in Ulaanbaator paint their fingernails black?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The OP asked a question, which seems to me to be valid given that many of the men who are openly gay in the media do have short hairstyles. They also seem to have great bodies because of their interest in working out. (I've always assumed the short hair was just easier to maintain for people who spend so much time in the gym.)
But short hair is in style so it should be of no concern. Why single out gay men? Men in general have short hair. Many men that are not gay and in the media also have short hair. Our President has short hair. Does that make him Gay? I just don't see the corelation at all. In addition I know not all gay men have short hair as you continued to point out.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 AM

17 posts, read 19,469 times
Uhhhhh what kind of question is this? Just because they are gay does not mean they want to be a girl.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 PM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
long hair on men is no longer in style, not since the 80's.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:56 AM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
I don't find long hair on a man attractive, so why would I want to make myself look like that? I prefer a clean cut look.

Also, I live in the South, and its just too hot to have all that hair up there. Makes my scalp itch just thinking about it.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
On young men, longer hair can be really nice, but as they age, it doesn't look good as a general rule. As all of us get older, the majority of us have our hair thin -- in numbers and in texture. And thin hair longer on men just looks old.

Hubs did the long pony tail for years after we started our business.... and then one day he said -- cut it off! Took YEARS off his face.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,053,013 times
The question is sort of moot.... because the percentage of men overall who have long hair is small.

So unless there's a disparity between the percentages of men with long and -- and GAY men with long hair.....there's nothing to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty