U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times

Advertisements

YES, I know most gay men are not transexual and are not trying to look like women, so it's not about that.

I know they want to look like men, but I don't think men who grow their hair long - hippies, or say rockers - are trying to look like girls either.

I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals.

The funny thing is, the number of gay men with long hair (I mean long as the typical woman) seems very very low...indeed i'm not sure I know of any, either in the media or in real life. Perhaps one or two.

Most gay men actually seem to prefer shorter cuts - or even crew/buzz cuts or clean shaven.

Wonder why that is? Is it part of the gay sub-culture (something I'm not a part of). I hope I don't sound like an ignorant hetero, but it's just something I've wondered about. I mean plenty of lesbians cut their hair short to look butch (not saying they're trying to look like men, although some might) yet it seems rare for gay men to have long hair.

Or maybe I'm just not noticing it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
"Why do so few gay men grow their hair long?"

Very few men - hetero or gay - grow their hair long.
No need to single out a specific group.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,380,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
YES, I know most gay men are not transexual and are not trying to look like women, so it's not about that.

I know they want to look like men, but I don't think men who grow their hair long - hippies, or say rockers - are trying to look like girls either.

I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals.

The funny thing is, the number of gay men with long hair (I mean long as the typical woman) seems very very low...indeed i'm not sure I know of any, either in the media or in real life. Perhaps one or two.

Most gay men actually seem to prefer shorter cuts - or even crew/buzz cuts or clean shaven.

Wonder why that is? Is it part of the gay sub-culture (something I'm not a part of). I hope I don't sound like an ignorant hetero, but it's just something I've wondered about. I mean plenty of lesbians cut their hair short to look butch (not saying they're trying to look like men, although some might) yet it seems rare for gay men to have long hair.

Or maybe I'm just not noticing it?
How do you know? You can tell from looking if a bearded man is homosexual or not? There are a lot of married women who might argue that with you.

If you are involved with a man, how do you know they aren't homosexual? Because that is what they told you or because somehow you know for a fact?

You can't know nor can you tell if a man is homosexual by some miracle of a 6th sense or something like that.

There are men who look like women, you've probably seen some yourself and just didn't know it. There are some women who look like men. The point is you're probably spending way to much time wondering about it when facial hair is not or has ever been more or less prevalent on homo or heterosexuals.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Why do so few gay men grow their hair long?"

Very few men - hetero or gay - grow their hair long.
No need to single out a specific group.
Yep. I rarely see men with long hair, and honestly, the ones I do see aren't exactly the most stylish guys on earth.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
Quote:
I remember back in the 70s (well not personally since I was born in the 80s, but through pop-cultural media references) some people would berate men with long hair as being sissies/girly or homosexuals
This was back in the 1960s. I think by the early to mid 70s long hair was pretty much OK on guys (even in Kentucky, where I was liging back then).

Gay looks change through time. In the 1970s it was sort of the matcho clone look (short hair big mustache...think Burt Reynolds). In the 1950s/60s it was sort of an ivy league look segueing into the "peacock revolution" (neck scarves and such)....good example are the fashions and hair styles in the "Boys in the Band" movie or the gay bar scene in Otto Premingers "Advise and Consent".

Long hair (and hair in general) on gays sort of followed the long hair trend within the larger culture. Personally I think guys with long hair are hot, but, yes, they are pretty few.

There are sort of gay twists on mens style, though. There is that "bear" subculture, wich is sort of like a gay Duck Dynasty large-guys-with-a-lot-of-facial-hair look. Which i figure would through str8 folks for a loop if they are not familiar with it.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
Ive lost my hair so the shaved head works really good for me.
is that a good enough answer?

actually in the 80's i had long hair, but that was the style then, big hair.

i like it better shaved. less maintenance, and since i am middle age, hair is just not even on the list anymore.

BTW: hair length doesn't mean gay or straight.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM

23,901 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yep. I rarely see men with long hair, and honestly, the ones I do see aren't exactly the most stylish guys on earth.
This.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,778,100 times
Duh! Because it would look to girly.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM

11,013 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Duh! Because it would look to girly.
Who you calling girly?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setiq View Post
Maybe you are not familiar with gay or gay culture. If you think you can tell if someone is gay just from their appearance, think again. Of course, some gay people may have "looks" that you think are just gay, but equally many people don't have that typical appearance. If you talk to them or get to know them, then at one point you would notice that they are gay, probably because of the way they talk or behave---although this can be subtle, so you may not be able to tell.... I guess depending on your "gaydar"

I will not say you are an ignorant hetero. You are just not familiar with that culture, I guess. That's all. And it's good that you are curious about it and ask. At least you are willing to hear from someone.

For exactly same reason, there is quite a wide spectrum of lesbian. If you imagine lesbian being butch, that's only part of lesbian population. There's the other end of it also--you just might not have noticed it.

Also, I have to disagree with you on this. You call guys having long hair being sissy or girly. I really don't think so. I think it would be fair to call them "weirdos" for having long hair, but being girly or sissy isn't the right way to describe them. No one calls or considers those 80 rock stars girly. I would actually consider them "ignorant" if they call someone being girly just because of the long hair. Even though they have long hair, there is not one bit that makes me think they are girly... many of them are far from feminine (I guess one exception is boy george...). Think about this---Jesus had long hair--at least according to those pictures around us, right? Have you ever thought Jesus being girly because of those pictures? It's the same thing.

To me, there are so many features of people that make someone "girly." Having long hair isn't a big part of it at all. As for me, I'm not gay, but I like being girly (in the closet). Frankly, I occasionally dream of having long hair, but that dream isn't very different from other daydream that I wish I had female's body line, which can't turn to reality anyway. Also I know very well how inconvenient to have long hair, so I'd rather wear wigs if I want to go in that mood.
No I can't always tell by their appearance, but sometimes I see a guy who looks gay and my 'gaydar' goes off then I hear him speak and he has that unmistakably gay accent, so I assume he's gay. I don't think anything negative about him, just an observation.

Yes I'm aware many lesbians don't look butch or cut their hair short, but there's a definitely sub-culture there.

I didn't say they were sissies, I said back in the day people would call them that for having long hair, when I don't think long hair has ever been associated with homosexuality, as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty