U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 AM

748 posts, read 1,358,717 times

Advertisements

I wash my hair every single day and never condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 AM

29,633 posts, read 31,965,462 times
Shampoo and condition (either a rinse out or a leave-in) every day that I work. If I'm not working that day, and don't have left over product in my hair from the day before, I just rinse it in the shower and let it air dry.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:40 AM

28,230 posts, read 43,514,946 times
Okay, apparently I'm the only one with thick/coarse/curly hair here! Because if I shampoo and/or condition more than TWICE in a week, my hair gets completely frizzed out. Not to mention, it takes like 5-6 hours to dry, and I can't exactly blow-dry this mane... so if I washed it daily, I would practically always have wet hair.

P.S. I've asked most of my hairdressers if I'm doing things right, and they all say absolutely. With hair like mine (typical "Jew-fro" but quite long), those natural oils are essential for keeping it non-frizzy and healthy. Oh, but don't worry - I shower more often than my hair gets washed.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,294,775 times
I have to wash and condition with really gentle products every day because while my hair is kind of thick, its texture is very fine and just a touch wavy. If I don't wash every day, it gets weighed down and greasy-looking. This regimen might change as I age, but for now it seems to work.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 AM

41,095 posts, read 32,791,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, apparently I'm the only one with thick/coarse/curly hair here! Because if I shampoo and/or condition more than TWICE in a week, my hair gets completely frizzed out. Not to mention, it takes like 5-6 hours to dry, and I can't exactly blow-dry this mane... so if I washed it daily, I would practically always have wet hair.

P.S. I've asked most of my hairdressers if I'm doing things right, and they all say absolutely. With hair like mine (typical "Jew-fro" but quite long), those natural oils are essential for keeping it non-frizzy and healthy. Oh, but don't worry - I shower more often than my hair gets washed.
No need to defend yourself! I also have very thick, coarse, naturally curly hair and I wash my hair once every 4 days or so. If I washed it more often, it would be too dry. I use a very mild shampoo, and a pretty heavy conditioner, and then often put in leave in conditioner or argyle oil afterwards. I can't use any products which contain alcohol or my hair becomes brittle - no hairsprays or gels. I can use an oil sheen sort of product to give it a nice shine afterwards, and sometimes I use that product to freshen my hair in between shampoos. No blowdrying this mess either! I use a flat iron to smooth it after it dries but can only use that if I use one of these light oil products beforehand. I wash and condition my hair and let it dry naturally (usually overnight) and then style it.

Like you, every hairdresser I've ever had has told me that this routine is best for our hair type. My hair is very healthy and shiny and literally NEVER looks oily, even after I put oil products in it!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,194,875 times
Shampoo and conditioner usually every other day.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have thick/coarse/wavy hair and wash/condition mine twice per week.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 AM

3,878 posts, read 4,583,375 times
I have medium thick hair with a medium curly texture. I usually wash & conditioner 3-4x/week, after exercising. I use a very small amount of a sulfate-free shampoo and always condition, but try to keep it mostly on the middle to end of the length (just on my shoulders). While the weather is warm, I'm styling it by finger twisting curls all through and letting it air dry. In the winter, I'll change up to blow drying it smooth since there's not enough humidity to enhance the curl and air drying then just makes it look sloppy.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:37 PM

303 posts, read 404,135 times
I have medium thickness, mostly straight hair. I usually wash mine 3-4 times a week and condition 2-3 times but I usually only use condition if I'm going out somewhere decent. If it's errands or something, just washing. I usually only wash too if it's a day I've exercised, otherwise I leave it alone. I can get away with not washing it for about 2 days before it gets noticeably oily on my scalp but even then some dry shampoo (or cornstarch, I'm a light natural blonde) will cover it for another day or so.

My shampoo/conditioner combo: Volumizing Shampoo, Pantene Fine Hair Solutions: Flat to Volume Shampoo

Old 09-14-2013, 05:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,746,851 times
I'm jealous of you folks with thick, coarse and curly hair!

Mine is of average thickness and quite fine; more now that I have stopped coloring it.

I'm not sure I can go to twice a week, I think it would get sort of flat and maybe oily if I did that. I think I will try every other day for now and see how that works. I must say it feels weird not to wash and condition my hair each time I shower, though. In summer when I sometimes take more than one shower per day I have to "make myself" not do the whole routine every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or