U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:38 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm jealous of you folks with thick, coarse and curly hair!

Mine is of average thickness and quite fine; more now that I have stopped coloring it.

I'm not sure I can go to twice a week, I think it would get sort of flat and maybe oily if I did that. I think I will try every other day for now and see how that works. I must say it feels weird not to wash and condition my hair each time I shower, though. In summer when I sometimes take more than one shower per day I have to "make myself" not do the whole routine every time.
My hair is pretty oily. I found that when I gradually began spacing out the shampoos, the oil production slowed down as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
My hair is pretty oily. I found that when I gradually began spacing out the shampoos, the oil production slowed down as well.
Well that does make sense too, thanks!

Old 09-14-2013, 04:55 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
The biggest problem I have is that almost all shampoos that are good quality are for some condition. They moisturize (too heavy for my hair) or they volumize, or they are for not breaking hair.... everything but cleaning.

I ended up using Kiss My Face big Hair volumising shampoo. Seemed nice and no sulfates. Really like it.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,950,044 times
My sister haves really freezy hair and she is always complaining about it and asking me how do i have my hair so nice looking, long and shiny. I asked her "do you wash it everyday?" she said "of course" i said "dont do it, it will get better" but she said there was no way, she would have to be crazy to not wash it everyday. I told her that hairdressers and doctors say washing your hair everyday is bad for her type of hair and she still refused.

So she still haves crappy hair and I have amazing hair, cause she insists in washing it everyday.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times
Another benefit to not shampooing so often is you can buy more expensive products and they last longer.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
1-2 times/week.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,142,662 times
Quote:

Mine is of average thickness and quite fine; more now that I have stopped coloring it.

I'm not sure I can go to twice a week, I think it would get sort of flat and maybe oily if I did that. I think I will try every other day for now and see how that works. I must say it feels weird not to wash and condition my hair each time I shower, though. In summer when I sometimes take more than one shower per day I have to "make myself" not do the whole routine every time.

My hair is similar to yours. I also used to wash it every day and felt like I needed to. For years, my hairdresser would tell me to wash it less.... one hairdresser told me to only wash it once a week! No way... but it is healthier to wash it less.

Now I wash it about 3x per week. Honestly, most people I know say they like their "2nd day" hair the best. I never understood what they were talking about before... but now I do. When my hair is (stripped) clean, it is more flat/fly-away/soft and doesn't hold shape as well. 2nd day hair has a little more natural oil and better body. Hope that makes sense...

Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Haha... don't be, it's a pain in the rear outside of the fewer washings required.

And glad to hear I'm not the only one! My straight-haired friends sometimes balk at how infrequently I wash my hair, but they just don't understand how it acts.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Another benefit to not shampooing so often is you can buy more expensive products and they last longer.
It depends on the type & length/volume of hair, though... my hair requires a LOT more product at each use, so I think it might even out in the end. You know how they always say to use a "quarter-sized drop?" Well, my hair practically needs a dollar bill-sized dollop to fully cover everything.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 PM

113 posts, read 180,134 times
Once a week. I have thick, curly hair. I can still smell the conditioner in my hair a day or two before wash day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or