U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times

Advertisements

I wasn't going anywhere yesterday, so because of this thread I did an experiment and didn't wash my hair. I have shoulder-length, fine wavy hair and oily skin, and I normally wash and condition daily. In the morning, my hair was flat and dull, felt greasy, and didn't lay right, and by the end of the day my scalp itched and my neck and face felt dirty, even though I'd showered. Experiment=fail. It felt so good to wash my hair this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,543,449 times
I have hair to the top of my butt crack, and I wash once a week. Any more than that, I damage my hair more than help it.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM

11,031 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wasn't going anywhere yesterday, so because of this thread I did an experiment and didn't wash my hair. I have shoulder-length, fine wavy hair and oily skin, and I normally wash and condition daily. In the morning, my hair was flat and dull, felt greasy, and didn't lay right, and by the end of the day my scalp itched and my neck and face felt dirty, even though I'd showered. Experiment=fail. It felt so good to wash my hair this morning.
Your hair isn't going to change overnight. If you usually wash your hair everyday, then this is what your hair/scalp is used to. It takes time to get it readjusted to a new schedule. It is going to take weeks, not hours.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 AM

17 posts, read 19,477 times
Default Every other day

My hair is very dry so I can wash it every other day, sometimes two days in between. I use dry shampoo if I'm not washing it that day, though, to freshen it up and leave a nice scent. To me there is nothing gross about this.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Your hair isn't going to change overnight. If you usually wash your hair everyday, then this is what your hair/scalp is used to. It takes time to get it readjusted to a new schedule. It is going to take weeks, not hours.
I know that, but I have to leave the house sometimes. I'm not willing to go out in public looking greasy and feeling like I have fleas for the days or weeks that things would take to change.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM

811 posts, read 981,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I have hair to the top of my butt crack, and I wash once a week. Any more than that, I damage my hair more than help it.
You talking about hair from the head or

Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
My hair and skin type sound similar to yours (except my hair is very straight and not quite shoulder-length.)
Last time I washed my hair was the day before yesterday, in the morning. Maybe it's the Aveda shampoo & conditioner, but it still feels and looks quite clean and not at all frizzy like usual. So far so good.

So I'm going to stick with every other day although daily shampoo and conditioner in the shower is a hard routine to break! It feels like I am forgetting to brush my teeth or something fundamental like that.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,889,678 times
I do everyday. It's part of my shower ritual. If I take a shower and don't wash my hair I feel like I've forgotten something.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:30 PM

27,252 posts, read 15,040,977 times
Quote:
It is SO hard to get used to. I have fine hair that gets limp and oily quickly. I used to work from home so going a day here and there without washing it was no big deal - I just refused to be seen in public!

Then I moved to another city and NO ONE here washes their hair every day. I swear - it is like a religion; we plan our workouts around our hair, etc.

My hairdresser was ALL over me so I gave it a try. The first few times, I just felt so grungy. But, now I use a dry shampoo and put it up in combs, etc and it did get better.

Sometimes, I will just wash it with conditioner on my 'off' day. That's usually better than not washing at all.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 AM

33,573 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Weekly, mostly. Or every 10 days or so.
My hair does not get dirty, dusty or oily. I don't sweat.
I brush my hair with natural brush every day - 100 strokes or so in every direction, to keep it clean and shiny.
Washing/shampooing hair daily is not even good for it. How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?
I don't really get the "daily hair wash obsession" ( except someone has a really oily hair, works in the dust, workout and sweats etc.)
Our bathing and hair washing routines are based on a strange system of depleting the skin and hair of their natural oils by lathering up with soap and shampoo, and then replenishing them with moisturizers and conditioners. Most shampoos/conditioners are actually damaging our hair (look at the ingredient list )
Ingredients In Shampoos And Conditioners That Cause Hair Loss | LIVESTRONG.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or