U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 PM

13,997 posts, read 10,136,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is nowhere near that important to me.
Food, water and air are the only things I cannot live without...
I'm childishly amused at your profile name in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,436,785 times
I must have my deodorant! Shower and shave daily with deodorant. Unfortunately I'm allergic to anti-persperents so must use the wet stuff. If I didn't I would look and smell like a mountain man billy goat.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,138,347 times
It's not at all important to me but it is important to the people around me!!! LOL I'm just joking really. I almost never wear deodorant because I take a shower every day and I do not stink.

PS, when I'm in the shower washing my hair I wipe a whole lot of alcohol based waterless hand cleaner in my pits and leave it there until I'm done with my hair, a couple of minutes. This KILLS all the bacteria that live in the pits that create the smells. I find that any kind of soap just won't kill them and you will get BO again soon after your shower. Another way is to use one of those big detergent bars that you can buy at the dollar store. It kills all of them also. I have very tough skin and these products don't cause me any grief but they might for some people.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm childishly amused at your profile name in this thread.

hahahaha!

That's two Ts, not one!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
More than deodorant, I find Sandalwood prickly heat powder to be more comforting. It is what I used commonly in South India to combat the hot and humid weather. It keeps my skin cool even during hot & humid days and has a pleasant fragrance. Additionally, the powder is universal and can be used by Men and Women.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 5,570,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I use it after every shower, so, daily. Deodorant, not anti-persperant. I am a child of the '60s and '70s and using a product that artificially plugs up pores and follicles in order to inhibit a necessary, healthy bodily function does not sit right with me.

But I am really not convinced it is always necessary. I just think we've been trained to think we can't be really clean without it by the Commercial Advertising Machine.

Growing up and in young adulthood in Europe, I rarely used it. To the best of my knowledge I did not smell bad, nor did people I encountered on a daily basis. And trust me, I find BO offensive...but nasty body odor does not result from the lack of using commercial products to sanitize oneself. It comes from not showering or cleaning up often enough.
It was not customary in the place where you grew up to use deodorants ? Which place in Europe ? In Portugal, people use deodorants.

I shower everyday but I still use deodorants because I sweat.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 PM

15,581 posts, read 9,657,290 times
Living in hot, humid Florida, deodorant is a MUST. I was having trouble the last few years finding one that would last all day, I tried lots of brands that claim to work with your body chemistry, but they weren't doing the job. Finally, I tried Mitchum Power Gel, and this one finally does what it says. Sometimes I skip a day (but I shower at least twice a day anyway) and it still works. I skip it just to give my underarms a break from deodorant occasionally.

I had a young guy who came into work the other day and I was helping him. He wasn't a dirtbag and was dressed well, but man, did he stink ! And this wasn't stink like you get from just being out in the hot sun working, it was ground in stink ! When he left the store one of the other employees was walking around with Windex, spraying the air. It was all we had.

Don

Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Living in hot, humid Florida, deodorant is a MUST. I was having trouble the last few years finding one that would last all day, I tried lots of brands that claim to work with your body chemistry, but they weren't doing the job. Finally, I tried Mitchum Power Gel, and this one finally does what it says. Sometimes I skip a day (but I shower at least twice a day anyway) and it still works. I skip it just to give my underarms a break from deodorant occasionally.

I had a young guy who came into work the other day and I was helping him. He wasn't a dirtbag and was dressed well, but man, did he stink ! And this wasn't stink like you get from just being out in the hot sun working, it was ground in stink ! When he left the store one of the other employees was walking around with Windex, spraying the air. It was all we had.

Don
I wonder why there are people who can't smell their odour.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
I'm a guy, but I don't use it anymore. I hardly have any BO and I don't exercise much, and if you shower daily or shower after exercise I don't see the need, most women especially don't smell as much as men. I think it's another marketing gimmick, and it pollutes the atmosphere. If we're talking the spray-type, that is.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm a guy, but I don't use it anymore. I hardly have any BO and I don't exercise much, and if you shower daily or shower after exercise I don't see the need, most women especially don't smell as much as men. I think it's another marketing gimmick, and it pollutes the atmosphere. If we're talking the spray-type, that is.
There are people who don't really sweat. My brother's ex doesn't really use deodorant because she doesn't really smell at all, however I think most people really do and women can also smell as much as men. I have smelled so many women already with Body Odour. Funny because they look so arranged ( dress, heels, coiffure and make up but then boooom ... Body Odour.

I believe it really helps control sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty