U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Unfortunately, as bad as too much perfume is, it isn't the same as this thread's topic of underarm odor.
You are quite right... it is NOT the same.
It is worse... for those of us with allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I wonder why there are people who can't smell their odour.
I had a female boss who could not because she had an impaired sense of smell.

One day shorty after I began to work with her regularly, she walked in and a bottle of deodorant was sitting in the middle of her desk. She asked it I had put it there, I hadn't. Then she asked if she smelled, and I had to say yes, and badly.

She was shocked. She said she bathed every day and used deodorant. Seemed unlikely to me, but I was in no place to say that. Then it came out that she had a lousy sense of smell, colognes, pungent foods, etc. all just passed her by.

At that point I suggested that perhaps it was her clothes, and that she wasn't washing and dry cleaning them frequently enough. A friend did a sniff test on some of her clothing she had in her home later on....you betcha! Since she couldn't smell their odor, what prompted her to have them washed or cleaned was simply their appearance. She started keeping a record of how often she was wearing her clothes....we worked in a computer center so this was not an especially difficult thing to create.

Voilą, no more "body odor."

But, I wonder if many people have this problem. I can certainly smell when my body or clothes stink.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM

114 posts, read 138,190 times
People can't tell because they are used to it.
When I was younger I had people tell me I stunk and I couldn't smell anything.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,629,990 times
Deodorant, some form of soap, and toothpaste for humans; and washing detergent for their clothes.

Unwashed people or people who stink of BO make others retch or gag. Bad breath is pretty horrible also, but doesn't seem to have the same effect on its victims - more like it just makes them grimace and hold their nose.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,988,880 times
My skin reacts to chemicals like that and I actually end up smelling stronger! Now I use baking soda and that seems to work good.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's important to me...I was in a store recently where there were 5 or 6 different women who weren't wearing it and who had a whole smell cloud following them around. It was a thrift store. I imagine they were shopping there because it was time for the semi-annual burning of their wardrobe which had become too stinky to wear. My daughter, with her overactive teenage hormones, kept trying to discreetly sniff her own armpits to make sure she wasn't the source of the odor.

Anyhow, if they didn't sell deodorant year-round here, I would just buy extras to get through the winter. For me it's not just the odor control, I don't like to go around all sweaty.
For me its the other way around. I don't mind sweating, its just bad odor that turns me off. Sweating is a natural phenomenon, bad odor means that you need to take a shower and freshen up with some powder, scent, or deodorant. I usually don't sweat till temperatures cross 85 F (humid) or 95 F (dry). But I freeze really fast. Today its 51 F and I am freezing in short sleeves .

Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,480 times
It's essential. There's nothing worse than being stinky or being self-conscious about your odor.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,512,941 times
How important? Hmm. Let's just call Freshly showered/bathed, shaved, freshly washed hair, wearing good deordorant and clean clothes my holy hygiene trinity. I can't imagine a woman who is deeply in touch with her femininity doing otherwise. I even like to be fresh when I work out. I was a youngster 35 or 40 years ago. It was expected. No ifs and's or but's. So it is behavior ingrained in me from being brought up properly. "country", Catholic and Girl Scout. Corny, but true.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,311,411 times
Deodorant (sp?) and daily showers are a must for me.

A close third must is body oil or cologne (love smelling good).

Deodorant is essential for children, too. A mother chastised (sp?) her boy (looked about 8 years old) for not wearing his deodorant. She was right. His underarms smelled like onions. He reeked.

Wonder what they used in the "old days", maybe baking soda?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,888,570 times
Here in Allergy Hell we have summer weather 9 months out of the year. It's important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty