U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:09 PM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times

Advertisements

I only wear deoderant if I am going to a function, but for daily life. no I do not wear it. I feel I sweat less without it. I'm in an a/c office all day, and most times it is cold, so my sweat level is zero. Besides, a shower is sufficient, and I don't want all those toxic chemicals on my body and absorbed by my pores.

Our pores are supposed to release sweat, it is a normal human function. We really shouldnt not block them from doing their job
Taking showers with soap and water, obviously gets rid of the smell.

There was another thread on this and a few other people (men) did the same test I did, with it and without it.
We all sweat less with out it.

Not saying if I'm doing yard work, obviously...but clean clothes on a showered body sitting at a desk, I do not sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,270,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Deodorant (sp?) and daily showers are a must for me.

A close third must is body oil or cologne (love smelling good).

Deodorant is essential for children, too. A mother chastised (sp?) her boy (looked about 8 years old) for not wearing his deodorant. She was right. His underarms smelled like onions. He reeked.

Wonder what they used in the "old days", maybe baking soda?
In many cases I imagine that to be true for a good number of kids. Many of the kids I knew in the 60's were using deodorant on a daily basis. . It was especially true for me, at that age, I had a case of what would be called, precocious puberty. I had to go a step up to antiperspirant, not just the something that read deodorant, which did, nothing at all for me and still doesn't. Until realizing I needed that added antiperspirant, my social childhood was a nightmare on top of other nightmares. Frequent baths couldn't cure what ailed me. If a child or adult, for that matter, ever has excessive body odors that simple solutions don't fix, they should be seen by a doctor for an evaluation to be on the safe side.

Underarm Odor In Young Children | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,055,814 times
Quote:
As important as underwear.
You know some people don't wear that either

Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM

2,759 posts, read 3,312,678 times
Yes, some people don't wear underwear, no problem.

But a coworker said they liked wearing dirty underwear. I HOPE they were kidding.
Thankfully, I won't find out (politely keep my distance).

Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 PM

146 posts, read 152,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
living in hot, humid florida, deodorant is a must. I was having trouble the last few years finding one that would last all day, i tried lots of brands that claim to work with your body chemistry, but they weren't doing the job. Finally, i tried mitchum power gel, and this one finally does what it says. Sometimes i skip a day (but i shower at least twice a day anyway) and it still works. I skip it just to give my underarms a break from deodorant occasionally.

I had a young guy who came into work the other day and i was helping him. He wasn't a dirtbag and was dressed well, but man, did he stink ! And this wasn't stink like you get from just being out in the hot sun working, it was ground in stink ! When he left the store one of the other employees was walking around with windex, spraying the air. It was all we had.

Don
:d lol

Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 AM

84 posts, read 86,545 times
Deodorant is a very important part of my daily life. It keeps me fresh and cool. My favorite Deodorant brand is Nivea. Nivea is one of the leading brand of cosmetic products. I use Nivea for Women Fresh Natural Deodorant. It's the best deodorant I have ever had. Once you spray this Nivea Deodorant all over in the morning, you are sure to smell great for 48 hours.The formula contains invigorating ocean extracts that have an uplifting and cool feel to instantly keep you feeling refreshed. The light floral scent that lingers on you for the day is completely non-intrusive and is great for daily wear to the office or to the mall. I really like it.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
My dad developed a severe allergy to any sort of underarm protection. Nasty nasty painful rashes. Looked like crushed raspberries. Had to stop wearing it. But we learned that it's not the sweating, it's the bacteria that causes the smell. So dad used Dial soap.

And a powder called Shower to Shower, that was talc with baking soda in it. He'd apply it while his pits were dampish, so it coated well.

Even after a day of golf in the summer, Dad smelled fine. NOTHING worked when he was doing hard hard work -- like grass mowing and construction fix its stuff -- he showered afterwards.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Deodorant (sp?) and daily showers are a must for me.

A close third must is body oil or cologne (love smelling good).

Deodorant is essential for children, too. A mother chastised (sp?) her boy (looked about 8 years old) for not wearing his deodorant. She was right. His underarms smelled like onions. He reeked.

Wonder what they used in the "old days", maybe baking soda?

i do not agree, an 8 year old should not be wearing deoderant.
i would not want all those chemicals in my childs body at 8 years of age, no way, no how.

use a bar of soap, that should do the trick.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:36 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times
What's exactly wrong with using chemicals to block smells and bacteria?

Its not like it seeps through your skin.

I'm going to need Proof.

Also,I've known people that didt use deodorant and developed boils from the sweat and bacteria. I know plwnty of people like that too.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,529,842 times
I use deodorant, but only if it retains some moisture like the gel sticks from old spice or dove men+care. Dry deodorants prevent sweating, but make my underarms & chest feel like an itchy parched forest . I usually roll on deodorant after my 45 minute workout and a quick cold shower. Rest of the time, I use cologne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty