Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times

Advertisements

They tend to be judged the same way other personal style choices are judged now, instead of being considered automatically good or bad. Attractive designs that are worn well aren't an issue in most workplaces or social interactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Associating a person's tattoos with their education?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
Tattoos are hillbilly-ish and are to be avoided if anyone wants to come across as educated and polished in civic life.

True. And any woman that has a visible tatoo will only be attractive to a guys who share this fad.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
Tattoos are hillbilly-ish and are to be avoided if anyone wants to come across as educated and polished in civic life.
That's your opinion anyway. To each his or her own.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
As a former criminal investigator, here in Canada, I can say that tats are a wonderful way to identify a person, either dead in the morgue , or wanted, by Police. It is standard practice here to photograph arrested persons faces and now also their tattoos and gang markings, for future identification .

When I was first working as a investigator, in the 1970's, a person with tats was most likely to have been a biker, sailor, or carny worker, or a habitual criminal. Certain tats were indicative of the criminal life style, such as the one percent biker, or the long term Federal prisoner. Now many so called "straight people " have them.

If I had the money to buy one of the tattoo removal laser machines, I would open a tattoo removal clinic, and call it " Regrets ". Here in Toronto there are a number of them, and they are busy all the time, charging $100 an hour for services. And it is NOT covered by our health care plan, as it is a "non-essential " service.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 AM

60 posts, read 175,108 times
I find it amusing that so many people still hold onto the viewpoint (granted, everyone has their own opinions on the matter) that tattoos, and people with them, are to be looked down upon. In my opinion, it's a form of self-expression. I don't do it because I want people to think I'm cool. I don't so it because I want to fit in with the crowd. I don't do it because I feel a need to rebel against society or any other such nonsense. I do it because I want to. I have an artistic idea in my head that signifies an important person/event/moment in my life, and I enjoy the freedom of being able to etch that into my skin in a beautiful, artistic reminder that I can enjoy for the rest of my life. I have my Masters and LCSW certification, am a published author, and work for the government, so not all tattooed young ladies stay stuck in the trailer park, as so many people seem to assume.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Maybe not presently existing

5 Famous Politicians With Tattoos | Made Manual

Only analogy I've ever come to the conclusion many have in common is a creative, artistic side in their thought process. I often hear that people who make random negative judgments about others, more often than not, tend to be those with lessor intellectual capacity. Maybe those people are misfiring as well, I don't know.

And calling Miss Kansas, a military vet, a woman that served/s her country faithfully, trash? That speaks volumes.

I don't have a tattoo, don't ever plan to get one, but I have admired many I've seen and respect people as individuals. Are some tattoos not so nice to look at, sure, do some make me scratch my head sure, do some even make me go wtbleep was that person thinking, well, yes, but I don't sit in judgment of the type of human being they may or may not be because of a tattoo they wear. I've dated some retired vets/marines, in my day and they are very proud of the wings or whatever emblem they sport, in their day, of course they kept them in places they could cover them so as not to have them shown in their work environment. But this is a different time and good for those that don't face the same stigmas.

Some people will want to have their tats, that they got for misguided reasons removed as they age. Funny story, I saw a lady on a show the other night, she had to be at least 70, she was getting her tattoo covered, it was on her lower backside, it read something like, "Insert coin here" funny as heck the spunky old gal. Some people's tats won't wear for the worse with age, some will, as with anything. People get things fixed for all types of reasons, using aging as an excuse to dissuade someone isn't reason enough nor are many of the old work place reasons. Professionals of most every persuasion sport them, surgeons have them engineers, billionaire business persons have them. But lets keep throwing daggers if it makes us feel one up.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Human nature has it that people look into the eyes of another human being to make a character judgement- That is made difficult when the person is covered in body art. There is a young guy who works at the local wine store...He has very colorful full sleeve tattoos..>When I view this person all I see is the art- HE is secondary.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM

215 posts, read 297,269 times
I wonder though if you are young when you get your tattoo, will you get tired of it as a form of art or expression from another time in your life?

For those of us who are older, we know how it feels when we look at our living room furniture and just decide we can't stand the floral prints or the stripes or geometrical shapes. So, if we have neutral colored bases, we can simply change the color scheme or decor with some different pillows, a throw blanket, curtains, or candles and even a new color paint.

Or how about those times when a vase or a picture reminds you of a time in your life where you simply want to move on. It's a lot easier not to be reminded when you can just put the art object away.

Tastes in art change often, at least for me.

A tattoo on your skin is so permanent, and leaves you with very little space if you start adding more than one.

I don't think there is a stigma at all for tattoos, even though "tramp stamp" is not exactly nice.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Okay, this is a sincere question from an old person (senior woman), and not meant to offend anyone--just looking for answers.

In my generation, tattoos were regarded with a very negative stereotype. They represented ghetto, thugs, criminals, or a macho military type, or a low rider. It usually meant they were tough and not very educated.

I realize times have changed, but what is the deal with young girls getting all these tattoos? Is there now a POSITIVE stereotype with them? Does it reflect creativity, rebellion, sexuality? I see these attractive young girls and women with many visible tattoos, and some of them are educated, so has the negative stereotype vanished?

And while you are at it, could you explain the attraction to body piercings also!
Thanks
Bolded above is why I got my 1st tattoo; and they are kinda like tater chips; can't have just one, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks Jet Jockey. What was the appeal for you? Was it for creative expression?
I grew up in the 50s and 60s, and we certainly shook stereotypes up---and I could care less what people do to their bodies as long as it doesn't hurt them. Since you see it everywhere now, I am just curious about what the appeal is since it is so permanent compared to say dreadlocks which can be cut off if someone gets bored with them.
They aren't 'that' permanent, there are a TON of ways to remove a tattoo nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty