U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,322,804 times

Advertisements

like a kid who takes a ball point pen and pretends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
40% of young people have them
one in 3 lives with mom and dad?
what's that spell?
Starbucks staffed by people with lots of body banaids

Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,347,293 times
I think tattoos like anything else can be a sign of poor judgement and should and do negatively effect a job interview. If Someone has a few tats that can be covered up then nobody knows, and I wouldn't personally hold that against anyone. But someone with visible tats or that is too stupid to cover them up for a job interview.....not gonna get the job. Now there are some jobs where tats are more acceptable, but mostly not.

I don't have a tattoo because I haven't really ever came across something or had an idea for one that I want to wake up to every morning. Taste changes.

I see way many more poorly done and/or poorly thought out tattoos than I do well executed and nicely designed ones.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 AM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
I have to say that sometimes I don't get the tattoos people have or why they put them where they did. One girl I work with has one on the top of her foot (I don't know what, something simple just a black outline of something) and weirdly enough, a 1" triangle oddly placed on her thigh that shows when she wears a skirt or dress. I really does look like something drawn on by a kid with a pen, or a do it yourself tattoo. I mean, there is nothing to that except a shape on your leg.

Another girl has a rose-something or other on her breast up high so it shows when she wears anything with a scoop neckline. Also one on her ankle and a big one on her shoulder that shows unless she wears sleeves.

I've come to terms with them, I don't have one myself and don't think much of them, but I do wonder if people put much though into placement or if they are surprised after the fact that it is more visable than they thought. My husband got one during his midlife crisis and he told me it would be in his upper arm so it would be hidden, but the tattoo artist put it at the halfway point of his upper arm so it shows with short sleeved shirts. He can't show it at work, so he couldn't wear some of his shirts anymore. Although he never said it to me (we split shortly after) I know he regrets that placement.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 AM

169 posts, read 639,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

I'll never disrespect art, but art is for media that are not living. Art is to hang on your wall, admire in a museum, view in a public square, etc. Plus, as a Christian man, I can believe naught else but God created us to look exactly as He intended for us to look. Consciously changing our basic appearance in some physiologically unnatural way elevates us above God by implying that we know better than God what "looks good" and what "does not look good". I, for one, choose not to pick that fight with Almighty God. I trust Him more than I'll ever trust any human being.

I've known many a person who has gotten a tattoo and not one has been without a rebellious streak, regardless of the meaning or the desire underlying the tattoos. They may even be totally nice people... and many have been. I never said that it had to do with "niceness"... it has to do with wanting to look "bad" to an extent... or, put a different way, it has to do with choosing to conform to a certain image that you want to project. Given that a tattoo does absolutely nothing except change your appearance, the purpose of a tattoo can only be for the image factor.

I actually thought about getting a tattoo once, for all of my distaste toward tattoos. When my wife and I got engaged almost three years ago, I suggested we get wedding ring tattoos after we get married. That way, it'd be permanent. Even if we had real rings, rings can be taken off. How many times have you heard of someone who is married, going out on the town without his/her wedding ring, to philander a bit? I felt that the permanence of a tattoo would be a better outward sign of the marriage commitment than a ring which can easily be removed... but my wife didn't want to do that, so we didn't. Even that would be about the image though... the outward sign of "hey, I'm taken, so back off".
Art is meant to be displayed. Therefore the body is a perfect canvas. If a persons tattoo or tattoo's are crude, offensive or on the face, neck or head, I can totally understand the judgements upon them. Things such as nature, wildlife, tattoo's for your children and rememberance tattoo's should not however bring upon that same judgement. I'm sorry but I don't look at an inked chick with rubber duckies, flowers and rainbows and think "WHOA! That chick's a badass!" People get tattoo's for many different reasons. Believe it or not, some get them as a reminder of getting through tough times. It makes them feel stronger. So tattoo's can and do, infact, change more then one's appearance.

As for your comment on your religious views and tattoo's - I've never met or seen a person stronger in christian faith then my Grandfather. He was a WWII Navy vet (no, he didn't get tattoo's then) and later in life he and my Grandmother became missionaries. Traveling to places such as Haiti and the Amazon, helping build schools, chruches and of course, bringing in religion. All that being said, my Grandpa passed in 2011 at 84 years old. Even though he was an "old person" and Christian, he deeply wanted to get a portrait done of my Grandma who passed in 2001. Although he never got it done (probably because of not really knowing how to go about it) the fact that he wanted to disproves your theory on the topic. He didn't want it because he thought it'd make him look cool or badass. Not to conform. Not to simply change his appearance for a reaction from others. No...he wanted it done because he loved and missed his wife.

But on a side note, here's a neat link I found. Some interesting facts Like the oldest physical body in existance, the Iceman, had tattoo's.
http://facts.randomhistory.com/tattoo-facts.html

Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,779,665 times
Funny reading in another thread that describes what is trashy. Women with tats are frequently listed as a sign of a trashy person;

What behaviors of others deem them trash in your eyes?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,588,681 times
I see some ladies in my neighborhood that look very attractive with their tattoos.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM

7,699 posts, read 10,074,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I guarantee that if I were to run for and become president, my first week in office I would have a tattoo artist come by the white house and put POTUS on my arm or something!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 PM

451 posts, read 596,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Everyone is conforming. Every. Single. Person. There is basically nothing you can do NOT to conform to something else. No matter what a special snowflake you think you are there are always other people who are into the same thing you think you're unique for. That includes people who think they're 'rebelling' because they don't have tattoos.
"You can't be a non-conformist if you don't drink coffee!"

Old 09-19-2013, 02:01 PM

169 posts, read 639,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Funny reading in another thread that describes what is trashy. Women with tats are frequently listed as a sign of a trashy person;

What behaviors of others deem them trash in your eyes?

Out of 23 pages I saw tattoo's listed as trashy about 8 times at most. Not just on women either. The majority specified by saying either face, neck, hand or lower back tattoo's. The lower back tattoo's I can agree with because those chicks are just looking for attention in all the wrong ways. They got the name "tramp stamp" for a reason >.<

Oddly enough, despite your ignorant comments here, you did not list tattoo's. Only "black speak", then agreeing with another poster that you're racist. Kudos to you, sir - you're clearly valuable to society...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty