Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,787,083 times

Advertisements

Some do not realize that who they are today is not why they will be in ten years...tattoos are mistakes yet to be realized...I believe for a fact that in time all those with tattoos will quietly say to themselves in private...."I wish I had a pure and unmarked body"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM

16,901 posts, read 16,053,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some do not realize that who they are today is not why they will be in ten years...tattoos are mistakes yet to be realized...I believe for a fact that in time all those with tattoos will quietly say to themselves in private...."I wish I had a pure and unmarked body"

.....and, while I give a sincere thumbs up to you, I must disagree - we are who we are throughout our lives, although we go through changes.

The butterfly was once a caterpillar. (Pardon me - I must go walk on rice paper now. )

Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,118,213 times
Quote:
My first tattoo was in 1979 and I haven't regretted any of my four (easily-hidden with clothing) tattoos for one solitary second.

Granted, many people do regret tattoos some time after the fact. But not "all those with tattoos."

Old 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,446,317 times
Why cant you just wear a customized t-shirt with a nice design?

most people will never admit they regret getting tattoos, thats like admitting you made a mistake, or admitting you did something stupid, nobody will say they were stupid, so they make up an excuse how they are still glad they got that tattoo 20 years ago and still feel the same about it, when you know they dont feel the same, if it was 1975 and you got a Farrah Facet portrait tattooed on your chest, I doubt you would still feel the same about it today

I really think tattoos look awful especially on a lady, it just isnt a logical or practical thing to do to yourself, it's very short sighted thinking

I wouldnt hire a person with lots of visible tattoos, it just looks too tacky and unprofessional, I would have a hard time taking them seriously if they were covered in tats, it's hard to respect them when they look disrespectful

a person doesnt have to be old fashioned or conservative to dislike tattoos

just basic common sense, should be enough to know tats are not a good idea

I guess some people just like to go with the herd and do whats popular since all their friends are doing it, some people will do anything to fit in with the crowd.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

most people will never admit they regret getting tattoos, thats like admitting you made a mistake, or admitting you did something stupid, nobody will say they were stupid, so they make up an excuse how they are still glad they got that tattoo 20 years ago and still feel the same about it, when you know they dont feel the same, if it was 1975 and you got a Farrah Facet portrait tattooed on your chest, I doubt you would still feel the same about it today

I really think tattoos look awful especially on a lady, it just isnt a logical or practical thing to do to yourself, it's very short sighted thinking

I wouldnt hire a person with lots of visible tattoos, it just looks too tacky and unprofessional, I would have a hard time taking them seriously if they were covered in tats, it's hard to respect them when they look disrespectful

I guess some people just like to go with the herd and do whats popular since all their friends are doing it, some people will do anything to fit in with the crowd.
Are you calling me a liar?

Because I was quite sincere. And not that it matters, but I wasn't "conforming"; very few of my peers have tattoos. Not then, nor now. I respect your conformist decision to not get a tattoo. Why won't you respect my decision to get one? Every time this comes up, I am really gobsmacked by the vehemence. I mean, I can understand vehemence against someone who has, say, a swastika or white power tat, especially one that's always visible. But why the vehemence against someone with a discreet, hidden tattoo? Someone help me understand this anger.

I have a serious question for all of you who've said, stridently, you won't hire someone with a tattoo (and as an aside, I believe that is entirely your right to decide if you are a business owner, as I am.)

So you hire Jane or Joe Doe. They work for you for, say, two years. Exemplary, productive, responsible employees.
Then at a company picnic when people are wearing tank-tops and shorts, you realise that Jane/Joe has *gasp* a tattoo. Would you then fire them?

Because I know lots of people, like myself, who have nicely-done tattoos that are only visible when skimpily-dressed. The vast majority of people I associate with professionally don't know I have tats. Yet if you anti-tattoo people are to be believed, I should be held in contempt, never hired, disallowed from renting, have my food spat on (yes one poster said that), considered stupid, hillbilly, uneducated, thuggish, low class, etc.

Reiterating my points: many people have "hidden" tattoos. They don't get them to make a public statement. I know several accomplished, professional people who have discreet tattoos that most people they encounter are unaware of.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM

451 posts, read 767,893 times
What exactly is it about a tattoo that you people find so objectionable? I'm not talking about your associating tattoos with people of low class or education, but the tattoo itself? Some of you say that all tattoos are a mistake. Why? You think only uneducated people have tattoos. At what point in your education were you taught that tattoos are bad? I have a college degree, and I must have been out sick that day, because it never came up in my education. Did your mother tell you that ever person who has a tattoo does drugs? My brother has 13 or 14 and has never consumed illegal drugs in his life. (My dad once told me that every person who has a nose ring does drugs. I've had mine for nine years and guess what? I've never done drugs, either.) What is it about the tattoo itself that upsets you so much? I'm pretty sure you're just parroting the prejudices of older generations. If you took a moment to actually think about it, you may just realize that a tattoo is just a tattoo, not a mark of conformity/rebellion/stupidity/being low class.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:12 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,787,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

.....and, while I give a sincere thumbs up to you, I must disagree - we are who we are throughout our lives, although we go through changes.

The butterfly was once a caterpillar. (Pardon me - I must go walk on rice paper now. )
My whole house is covered in rice paper....My parents who went through famine - revolution- full blown war were against any mark that might identify you during a crisis - where your identity needed to be hidden in order to survive. This was the days before DNA.....and common finger printing.

My first experience with what my other thought was a tattoo happened when I was about 11 years old...We lived in a resort area and had this American neighbor...me and the kid were lounging on the grass with a sharp object and he was showing me how to scratch my initials into my arm...we were scrapping away...there was no ink involved....My mother caught sight of us and came to look..............She dragged me into the house thinking I had put ink into the crude scratching...She took some soap and the roughest tooth brush she could find and started to scrub the crude scratched in initials till my arm bled.

I guess I got the message early that body marking was a very bad idea....and I am glad that I had such a mother.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,671,345 times
Quote:
I have had tattoos for over 20 years. I have no regrets and still love them.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,671,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

Well I have had tattoos for 23 years now and I have no regrets. I just got my first tattoo recolored to brighten it up. Some people get tattoos that are meaningful to them. Three of my five were to do with degrees/publications in my field. Two were for life changing events.

Quote:

The thing is my tattoos are for ME, not for anyone else. So why would I regret them? They are beautifully done art that has a specific meaning to me that I carry everywhere and can never be lost.

Quote:
LOL. Who cares who you would or would not hire? I have a graduate degree, and a full CV. I got hired for my experience, knowledge base, and because I am damn good at what I do.

Quote:
Agreed. But people who judge people for such a silly thing, aren't worth worrying about.

Quote:
Says who? You? Thomas Edison not only had a tattoo on his forearm, but invented a tattoo machine. Winston Churchill AND his mother had tattoos.

Lots of brilliant people, especially scientists, sport more than their fair share of ink.

Quote:
The herd? The one that includes Thomas Edison and Churchill? Count me in.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Notice that the strident anti-tattoo people have yet to come back and answer a single question about their stances. Not a one. Not once.

They are simply parroting knee-jerk sheeple conformist talking points (tattoos bad! people different bad! people different scary!) and incapable of talking, or thinking, honestly, intelligently or thoughtfully about why they hold such rigid beliefs. Because those beliefs are really quite curious.

I don't give a moment's thought about such uneducated and unintelligent persons' opinion of me in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty