U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,778,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrchick View Post
Out of 23 pages I saw tattoo's listed as trashy about 8 times at most. Not just on women either. The majority specified by saying either face, neck, hand or lower back tattoo's. The lower back tattoo's I can agree with because those chicks are just looking for attention in all the wrong ways. They got the name "tramp stamp" for a reason >.<

Oddly enough, despite your ignorant comments here, you did not list tattoo's. Only "black speak", then agreeing with another poster that you're racist. Kudos to you, sir - you're clearly valuable to society...

Worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,778,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Notice that the strident anti-tattoo people have yet to come back and answer a single question about their stances. Not a one. Not once.

They are simply parroting knee-jerk sheeple conformist talking points (tattoos bad! people different bad! people different scary!) and incapable of talking, or thinking, honestly, intelligently or thoughtfully about why they hold such rigid beliefs. Because those beliefs are really quite curious.

I don't give a moment's thought about such uneducated and unintelligent persons' opinion of me in any case.

Did you ask a question? Sorry, never saw it. Maybe I subconsiously ignored it? I'm not really sure.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The herd? The one that includes Thomas Edison and Churchill? Count me in.
No kidding, I never knew that! Not only Winston Churchill, but his mother also had a tattoo.

10 Historical Titans With Surprising Tattoos | Mental Floss

Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
What exactly is it about a tattoo that you people find so objectionable? I'm not talking about your associating tattoos with people of low class or education, but the tattoo itself? Some of you say that all tattoos are a mistake. Why? You think only uneducated people have tattoos. At what point in your education were you taught that tattoos are bad? I have a college degree, and I must have been out sick that day, because it never came up in my education. Did your mother tell you that ever person who has a tattoo does drugs? My brother has 13 or 14 and has never consumed illegal drugs in his life. (My dad once told me that every person who has a nose ring does drugs. I've had mine for nine years and guess what? I've never done drugs, either.) What is it about the tattoo itself that upsets you so much? I'm pretty sure you're just parroting the prejudices of older generations. If you took a moment to actually think about it, you may just realize that a tattoo is just a tattoo, not a mark of conformity/rebellion/stupidity/being low class.
And this too.

WHY do some of you get so worked up and upset about this?

I don't care that you choose to have no tattoos. I really, really don't care that much about you.
Why do you care so much that some people choose to have them? I'm touched, really, that you care so much about my choice and my body LOL, but why on earth....?

That is really quite odd of y'all.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 PM

18,850 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Okay, this is a sincere question from an old person (senior woman), and not meant to offend anyone--just looking for answers.

In my generation, tattoos were regarded with a very negative stereotype. They represented ghetto, thugs, criminals, or a macho military type, or a low rider. It usually meant they were tough and not very educated.

I realize times have changed, but what is the deal with young girls getting all these tattoos? Is there now a POSITIVE stereotype with them? Does it reflect creativity, rebellion, sexuality? I see these attractive young girls and women with many visible tattoos, and some of them are educated, so has the negative stereotype vanished?

And while you are at it, could you explain the attraction to body piercings also!
Thanks
There is no stigma. I don't like them either, but for the young there is no stigma. I imagine the pendulum will swing the other way by the time we are in our graves.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Ah, judgemental AND ignorant. At least you're proud of it.

My wife has a beautiful tribute tattoo on her arm. I don't have any tats. My wife is in her late '40s and businesswoman (she used to be an EMT/paramedic but then transferred to being a programmer for a medical call center software company, now she runs her own medical practic cycle management company). She got this tattoo to remember her parents, as they passed away this past year.

Anyone thinking that she's an uneducated hillbilly is an idiot.
The thing is when we age it all (body) ages, arms sag also!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Don't people worry about the stigma of hairy warts?

This is silly. If they were worried, would they have gotten the tattoo?
You must not have seen tattoos that happen when people thought they remembered the night

You're Right He Still Hasn't Taught You How to Spell - Cheezburger

Old 09-19-2013, 11:14 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,162,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If that trashy looking Miss Kansas with all those tattoos wins the Miss America contest look for next year for all kinds of so called beauty queens to get tattoos.

Any posting on City Data about tattoos gets tons of replies with lots of strong opinions. Which shows me there are many people who are quite for and against them.

I think it is a dangerous fad and 10 years from now the business of laser surgery to get them off will be booming.
I'd MUCH rather a woman like this than some bimbo:

Miss Kansas Bares Her Tattoos - The Daily Beast

Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,812,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I guess I got the message early that body marking was a very bad idea....and I am glad that I had such a mother.

I read this and my first thought was.....and this is why prejudice lives on. Because hate and judgment is taught.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 4,632 times
Where I live, tattoos are very popular, and many people of all ages have them done. Lots of older women have pretty stuff like butterflies, flowers etc. on their ankles, wrists etc. and they look lovley when they are first done. Unfortunately, as the tattoo gets older, it tends to lose its colour, and go a general dirty green/grey colour. My daughter had an egyptian eye on her arm about 15 years ago, and now it seems to have spread, and the definition is gone. Where I used to work, tattoos were considered inappropriate, so people were asked to cover them with a plaster, but that wasnt possible for some tattoos, ie. on the neck, or hand, and anyway, so many people had them, it looked like we were all suffering from some sort of disaster, all of us covered over in sticking plaster ! Eventually, the management gave in, and now tattoos are accepted and on show. I think it would depend though, on where they were. Although I think a sleeve can look cool, tattoos all over the head or face are really better if your working as a tattooist, or in a suitable environment. By the way, I have one, on my arm, really high up, so only shows in the summer. I am too much of a wuss to have more. They hurt for gods sake !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty