U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 AM

451 posts, read 597,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I read this and my first thought was.....and this is why prejudice lives on. Because hate and judgment is taught.

My first thought after reading the post you're talking about was how sad that his mother was so abusive. But you're absolutely right, psichick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM

559 posts, read 684,369 times
Wow, this thread really morphed into a completely different topic. Normally once a thread progresses to "bit** fight" I remove myself from the conversation because generally nothing good will be gained from it.

So get back on topic people, some of you have emphatically stated your opinion, now let others give it too.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM

960 posts, read 1,963,393 times
Interestingly, tattoos can be traced back to the ancient Egyptians among other cultures. The ancient Egyptians would tattoo the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. The ancient Israelites, who served for a time as slaves in Egypt, were forbidden by the Mosaic law to tattoo themselves -- it was considered a form of disfigurement. That restriction was a way to make them distinct from the nations around them as worshipers of the true God Jehovah, and also taught them to respect the human body. So it is fair to say that the "stigma" that tattoo's have among people who have grown up in the "Christian-Judeo" heritage has a historic and factual precedent.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:14 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,374,492 times
Interesting. I actually just read an article about how younger Jewish people were more open to tattoos.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/sh...too-stil-taboo

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...4V7WU#imgdii=_

Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,570,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I don't know if I'd qualify as "older"... I'm 33... but I can explain it fairly easily. It's all about rebellion, and looking more like a "bad girl" rather than a "good girl". They think they will be seen as more alluring by the type of men they wish to attract if they look "bad". There are articles all over the Internet about how guys like "bad girls"..........

........but here's the kicker. The studies ALSO show that guys only like "bad girls" for fun and excitement. Even of the guys who like "bad girls" in the beginning, the vast majority don't see such girls as marriage material. Essentially, girls, get tattoos if you want to attract a "bad dude" for some fun and games in the beginning, but understand that you're probably going to be staring down your 40th birthday, wondering why you've always been a bridesmaid but never a bride.

I've known women like that. They did their thing in their younger years and then decided at some point (usually their 30s) that they wanted to settle down... at which time they came to realize that it was EXTREMELY difficult to find a "good man" to settle down with. I've heard it all before - "they're either married, divorced with kids, or fresh out of jail".
It sounds like you have all the answers.

I was married at 21 with no tattoos. I got my first one around 37 or so. I wasn't rebelling. I wasn't trying to attract any type of man. I wanted a tattoo. I was a bride before many others.

I am actually staring down my 40th birthday in just a few months and nothing in your post relates to me. I am with a man who has no tattoos and we are settling down together. He is a good man, has never been married or had kids, and has never seen the inside of a jail cell. He is established. He is wonderful.

We met and I had tattoos. While he does not prefer them, he did not cast me aside because of them. I found a "good man" and we are settling down. I got more tattoos after we met.

Your reasoning is incorrect.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 PM

84 posts, read 111,958 times
Nudging this back towards the original question:

The women I know who have ink have done it in order to have some sense of reclaiming their bodies after invasive surgery. I'm 48, and know through family history and genetic testing that I have an extremely high risk of developing breast cancer, so much so that my doctors and I have discussed prophylactic mastectomy. (I am now the age my mother was when she was diagnosed with stage IIIB breast cancer, so the topic's on my mind.)

If this happens, I will likely not opt for reconstructive surgery, but may well have a design done to cover the scars.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 PM

7,932 posts, read 7,284,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
My first thought after reading the post you're talking about was how sad that his mother was so abusive. But you're absolutely right, psichick.
^That and just felt a sadness.

Anyway, Some very strong opinions on both sides of the issue, but the distasteful attitude toward those that have, get or want tattoos, the feelings of disgust for the human being, some expressed, is what I don't get, however, for those so moved to feel such distaste to the point of giving others negative labels, it's their issue to harbor and seethe in.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,977,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy1965 View Post
Nudging this back towards the original question:

The women I know who have ink have done it in order to have some sense of reclaiming their bodies after invasive surgery.
That is exactly why I got my tattoo. I would LOVE to have a "pure and unmarked body"- but that is not what my medical issues decreed. I had no choice regarding the large scar from breastbone to pubic bone, or the ones on my throat, along my spine, the ones left from IVs, central lines, stoma and the discolorations left from the many lupus butterfly rashes on my face.

I chose to do something for myself, something that made me feel better about myself. No one sees it but my DH and medical professionals. I am nearing 50 and have been married for 26 years. I am well educated and come from a rather 'comfortable' background.

I am not a rebel; was not under any sort of peer pressure and the idea that I was ever a "bad" girl is truly laughable. I was raised properly and am a lady and I was taught to treat others as I would like to be treated.

I am clearly a low-class, trashy criminal and must be treated as such by those with "pure and unmarked" bodies.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,754,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
That is exactly why I got my tattoo. I would LOVE to have a "pure and unmarked body"- but that is not what my medical issues decreed. I had no choice regarding the large scar from breastbone to pubic bone, or the ones on my throat, along my spine, the ones left from IVs, central lines, stoma and the discolorations left from the many lupus butterfly rashes on my face.

I chose to do something for myself, something that made me feel better about myself. No one sees it but my DH and medical professionals. I am nearing 50 and have been married for 26 years. I am well educated and come from a rather 'comfortable' background.

I am not a rebel; was not under any sort of peer pressure and the idea that I was ever a "bad" girl is truly laughable. I was raised properly and am a lady and I was taught to treat others as I would like to be treated.

I am clearly a low-class, trashy criminal and must be treated as such by those with "pure and unmarked" bodies.
You reminded me of something.

Years ago I went with a friend as a driver because she was getting "permanent eyeliner" tattoos (fairly subtle eyeliner because she was very pale and blonde and wanted more definition.) This was in Phoenix, AZ. My friend is a married, educated professional. At the time she was in her late 30s, now in her 50s.

Anyway, the office we went to was very clean and professional and the tattoo artist - a middle-aged woman - primarily did scar reconstruction and concealment for people with scars, or after chemo, or burns and injuries, and what have you. She mostly worked with doctors and surgeons and did some cosmetic tats on the side. She had a before and after photo album in her office and it was quite amazing how she could conceal or hide scars with ink.

I wrote earlier in this thread about someone I know who had a butterfly tattoo done to cover up an obvious suicide-attempt scar on one wrist, from when she was much, much younger. She's also a professional, a business owner, married with kids, and like the other person I just mentioned, so far from being a "conformist" or "bad girl" or "uneducated criminal" it's not even funny.

And melanie I for one am glad you were able to find something that minimized the appearance of your scars!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,830,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

That's one of the reasons I have my tattoos as well I have a genetic disorder and have had to get IV infusions every other week for the past 20ish years, so until I got my mediport put in a few years back those IVs went in my arms. Since I tend to keloid, many of the 'dots' on my arms are very obvious and I got sick of being asked if I was a drug addict. I figured, either way stupid people are going to judge me so I may as well have something pretty to look at.

I've been throwing around getting the scar on my collarbone (it's about 5" long and keloided from multiple mediport surgeries) incorporated into a tattoo to kind of cover it up...but that's still a few years down the line for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lynda 88 View Post
Where I live, tattoos are very popular, and many people of all ages have them done. Lots of older women have pretty stuff like butterflies, flowers etc. on their ankles, wrists etc. and they look lovley when they are first done. Unfortunately, as the tattoo gets older, it tends to lose its colour, and go a general dirty green/grey colour. My daughter had an egyptian eye on her arm about 15 years ago, and now it seems to have spread, and the definition is gone. Where I used to work, tattoos were considered inappropriate, so people were asked to cover them with a plaster, but that wasnt possible for some tattoos, ie. on the neck, or hand, and anyway, so many people had them, it looked like we were all suffering from some sort of disaster, all of us covered over in sticking plaster ! Eventually, the management gave in, and now tattoos are accepted and on show. I think it would depend though, on where they were. Although I think a sleeve can look cool, tattoos all over the head or face are really better if your working as a tattooist, or in a suitable environment. By the way, I have one, on my arm, really high up, so only shows in the summer. I am too much of a wuss to have more. They hurt for gods sake !!
If you use high quality ink and get tattooed by a high quality artist AND take meticulous care of the skin a tattoo won't turn green and is very unlikely to 'bleed' out. I've noticed that the people who have faded or bleeding tattoos (where the ink runs) simply didn't take care of the tattoos...probably because they thought it was 'permanent' and that it wouldn't change much.

My lower arm tattoo is nearly a decade old and just 2 weeks ago I had someone ask if it was new. It's mostly black/grey work and it looks like it's literally less than 3 months old and just healed. I take extremely good care of my tattoos (exfoliation, use of serems/lotions and I NEVER go out without sunscreen and rarely expose my tattoos to the sun, I carry around a parasol in the summer or wear long sleeve shirts unless it's ridiculously hot out) so they still look new, and likely will for a good long time.

Your daughter likely didn't take care of her tattoo, but that doesn't mean ALL tattoos will fade or bleed.

And I have a sleeve and work in corporate commercial aviation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty