U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 PM

770 posts, read 740,916 times

Advertisements

I don't like to look at women with tattoos exposed unless in the nude. And then in only in private places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,821,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks Jet Jockey. What was the appeal for you? Was it for creative expression?
I grew up in the 50s and 60s, and we certainly shook stereotypes up---and I could care less what people do to their bodies as long as it doesn't hurt them. Since you see it everywhere now, I am just curious about what the appeal is since it is so permanent compared to say dreadlocks which can be cut off if someone gets bored with them.
The appeal for me is that I like the way they look. I like carrying around art like this on my body, though I completely understand why people find it odd or even in bad taste. They don't have to live in my skin though, so they don't really get an opinion on it either way

I've spent a lot of time and energy on my tattoos, and each little bit took months, if not years of planning, drawing, tweaking the design and custom mixing colors. I do think a lot of people assume that everyone with a tattoo just walked into a shop, picked something off the wall, got drunk and then got tattooed. That does happen (which is horrible) but many, many people take tattooing very seriously. The parlor I go to does ONLY custom artwork and both the artists that work there are amazing artists who are constantly taking classes to refine their work. One of them is in Seattle right now taking a week long watercolor course to learn new techniques on how to mix and blend colors. He takes his work very seriously.

Some people will absolutely regret and dislike their tattoos, but I've NEVER once met a person who had a custom piece from a well known and talented artist want theirs removed. It's usually the dumb people who get some flash picture off the wall or don't put any actual thought into their work that regret it. I don't regret any of mine, and plan to add more in the future

Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 PM

770 posts, read 740,916 times
Never get a tattoo with your girlfriend's or first wife's name.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,209,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Okay, this is a sincere question from an old person (senior woman), and not meant to offend anyone--just looking for answers.

In my generation, tattoos were regarded with a very negative stereotype. They represented ghetto, thugs, criminals, or a macho military type, or a low rider. It usually meant they were tough and not very educated.

I realize times have changed, but what is the deal with young girls getting all these tattoos? Is there now a POSITIVE stereotype with them? Does it reflect creativity, rebellion, sexuality? I see these attractive young girls and women with many visible tattoos, and some of them are educated, so has the negative stereotype vanished?

And while you are at it, could you explain the attraction to body piercings also!
Thanks
Because of massive socioeconomic segregation and relative lack of hardcore working-class types on TV, I don't think new young people are even exposed to the type of people that used to be associated with tatoos (those from the "wrong" side of the tracks, if you will). Also, tatoos are much more acceptable nowadays and people who are considered "cool", but aren't uneducated or even necessarily trashy/ghetto, can be seen in person and on TV with tatoos. Plus, If somebody is far enough the other side of the social spectrum from the trashy/ghetto types or those "from the otherside of the tracks", they know they won't be mistaken for those types and so tatoos become more attractive.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,944,527 times
I don't care what people have on their bodies ---- that's their problem and when they get old(er) and their skin starts wrinkling and sagging, they'll be in for a surprise.

Anyway.... when I was about 20 (I'm 51 now), I dated a guy with a lot of tattoos.... A LOT.... like almost every inch of his body covered in tattoos. Anyway, he was a "bad boy" and I thought he was cool, etc. Well, when the day came when we decided to "consumate" our relationship, I was completely turned off. He was standing there in his boxers and the tattoos just looked gross, dirty, whatever. It was just such a turnoff for me. I liked HIM but after that, I hated the tattoos. Our relationship didn't last much longer after that and I never dated another guy with a bunch of tattoos.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM

5,804 posts, read 2,972,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've spent a lot of time and energy on my tattoos, and each little bit took months, if not years of planning, drawing, tweaking the design and custom mixing colors. I do think a lot of people assume that everyone with a tattoo just walked into a shop, picked something off the wall, got drunk and then got tattooed. That does happen (which is horrible) but many, many people take tattooing very seriously. The parlor I go to does ONLY custom artwork and both the artists that work there are amazing artists who are constantly taking classes to refine their work. One of them is in Seattle right now taking a week long watercolor course to learn new techniques on how to mix and blend colors. He takes his work very seriously.
Thanks JetJockey--- that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I had no idea that the "art" part was taken so seriously. I will have to pay more attention to them--I am always afraid of offending someone by staring at their tattoos, so I never get a good look at them.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 PM

5,804 posts, read 2,972,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Because of massive socioeconomic segregation and relative lack of hardcore working-class types on TV, I don't think new young people are even exposed to the type of people that used to be associated with tatoos (those from the "wrong" side of the tracks, if you will). Also, tatoos are much more acceptable nowadays and people who are considered "cool", but aren't uneducated or even necessarily trashy/ghetto, can be seen in person and on TV with tatoos. Plus, If somebody is far enough the other side of the social spectrum from the trashy/ghetto types or those "from the otherside of the tracks", they know they won't be mistaken for those types and so tatoos become more attractive.
That makes a lot of sense. I think a lot of people my age and who don't have kids are still confused about what the appeal is for something so permanent when you are still young and changeable. I am glad to hear they are very acceptable now, as I worry about these kids being discriminated against and not getting good jobs.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,746,851 times
There are qualitative differences between tattoos, as well.

Which person is less likely to get hired: the guy with the swastika tat on his forehead or someone with a crude neck tattoo of former girl- or boyfriend's names, or someone with a nicely-done tattoo on their shoulder; hidden unless the wearer wants it revealed?

As a business owner who sometimes hires people who interact with the public, I have no problem at all with tattoos or piercings, even very visible ones...but if they are visible when you are clothed, they'd better not be offensive or obvious jailhouse tats. Tattoos are usually done to make some sort of statement; and if that statement is crude or offensive (granted that is a subjective call) then I will take it at face value. I have a friend who attempted suicide when she was very young and had a butterfly tattooed on her wrist shortly after in an attempt to hide the scars.

I am 55, female, and have four tattoos and don't regret a single one. One is a piece of classical music; an armband in memory of my father. Another a beautifully-done little piece of art that I drew myself. Another armband, also nicely-done, that's a faithful copy of a Celtic gravestone rubbing of running dogs. And the classic rose-on-the-shoulder that I got on a whim at age 21. They're all hidden unless I am wearing a tank-top. Each one holds meaning for me. They're a part of who I am and where I've been in life. I don't discriminate against people who don't have tattoos.

I have two degrees and own a business and have been recognised in several fields and have done volunteer work for about 30 years. I'm sure some people have held me in contempt for having tattoos, but I don't really care. That is the problem of the beholder; not my problem.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:52 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,186,588 times
If that trashy looking Miss Kansas with all those tattoos wins the Miss America contest look for next year for all kinds of so called beauty queens to get tattoos.

Any posting on City Data about tattoos gets tons of replies with lots of strong opinions. Which shows me there are many people who are quite for and against them.

I think it is a dangerous fad and 10 years from now the business of laser surgery to get them off will be booming.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,535,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Why are so many people stuck up and narrow minded?

Some of the smartest people on the planet have tattoos.
Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty