U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
Tattoos are hillbilly-ish and are to be avoided if anyone wants to come across as educated and polished in civic life.
Ah, judgemental AND ignorant. At least you're proud of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
True. And any woman that has a visible tatoo will only be attractive to a guys who share this fad.
My wife has a beautiful tribute tattoo on her arm. I don't have any tats. My wife is in her late '40s and businesswoman (she used to be an EMT/paramedic but then transferred to being a programmer for a medical call center software company, now she runs her own medical practic cycle management company). She got this tattoo to remember her parents, as they passed away this past year.

Anyone thinking that she's an uneducated hillbilly is an idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't teenagers and young women worry about the stigma of tattoos?-facebook_tattoo1.jpg   Don't teenagers and young women worry about the stigma of tattoos?-facebook_tattoo2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,579,768 times
Yes I worry about the stigma associated with tattoos around certain people, and that is why I get them areas that are easy to cover up. So I can let em loose when I want to, and cover them up when I need to be professional. It's an easy compromise for me.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 AM

17 posts, read 19,469 times
Default I Will Explain!!

To me there is a heavy stigma attached to tattoos in CERTAIN regions of the country. I actually like them on certain people (Rihanna, Miley Cyrus) but living in the South, I would NEVER get one. However, if I lived permanently in LA then yes I would get one because they are accepted by most people there without any stigma. I do think they can give southerners a very trashy, "redneck" look. Perhaps that is unfair but being different things are appropriate in different regions.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 AM

10 posts, read 9,175 times
Tattoo isn't wrong, it doesn't show that you are some criminal or something else. Today, tatto has become an art. Of course there are stupid and ugly tattoos now, unfortunatelly, but all in all I am for tattoos. Especially when they have a special meaning to person who has them.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,811,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
I wonder though if you are young when you get your tattoo, will you get tired of it as a form of art or expression from another time in your life?

For those of us who are older, we know how it feels when we look at our living room furniture and just decide we can't stand the floral prints or the stripes or geometrical shapes. So, if we have neutral colored bases, we can simply change the color scheme or decor with some different pillows, a throw blanket, curtains, or candles and even a new color paint.

Or how about those times when a vase or a picture reminds you of a time in your life where you simply want to move on. It's a lot easier not to be reminded when you can just put the art object away.

Tastes in art change often, at least for me.
I always wondered about this too....until I got something that truly meant something to me. I think when a person gets a tattoo that means something to them and I mean REALLY means something to them (not, oh, I love elephants this week), they won't get tired of it. Kind of like people who hold onto quilts for generations. It may not be "trendy", but it's something that's theirs.

When I was in my early 20's, I wanted a tattoo, I think back now to what I wanted and I'm glad I didn't get it. Although I still love the things I wanted, it's more flighty than something meaningful. Versus the ones I have now, are very meaningful. I got one right after my divorce, trust me, it doesn't remind me of my XH nor the divorce at all. It reminds me of who I was and who I became. It gives me strength.

I think the people who get something, that's trendy, random, not so meaningful, yes, they'll probably get tired of it. Remember though, you can cover up tattoos with newer ones (most of the time). Heck, they have tv shows dedicated to just that. So if you do get tired of something, you can always cover it up.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And when all the old people who think that way die, the stigma will be mostly gone.

BTW - I am old too but I am quite apathetic towards tattoos. I don't see the point of doing that to my body, but I don't care what others do to theirs.
I think I pretty much agree with you. I am almost 76, and I can easily recall tattoos being the mark of sailors and thugs. But this has changed in recent decades. Yeah, some tattooed people look pretty awful, but a lot of people dress badly too (unfortunately, you cannot change tattoos as easily as clothes.) Good taste and a sense of style are minority endowments.

Some people, however, have really thought out what they want to look like and have used a good tattoo artist, so the total effect does not look like someone threw a pizza at them.

If the fad for tattooing does fade sometime in the future, I think that the people who have them will not be seen any more harshly than those of my era who still dress and do their hair as if it were 1950. And I think by the time the fad diminishes, if it does, the people with tattoos will be middle aged or even old, and simply won't give a damn who thinks what.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Easy answer. Their generation does not carry the stereotypes of your generation. Problem solved.
Very true, but just read this forum to see the incredibly ridiculous ones that they do harbour. People don't change, only the things they are stupid about do.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,314,876 times
Would you ever put a bumper sticker on a Bentley? No, you wouldn't. Then there's no way a tattoo would go on me.

And I'm a millennial...

Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 AM

401 posts, read 681,888 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Tattoos are art. Some art I like and lots I do not like. If someone has atattoo that I do not like they are less likely to be hired. If I like it theyare more likely to be hired. Just like if someone wears attractive clothes and presentsthemselves well then they have a leg up on someone who does not take the timeto dress well for a job interview. the biggest difference being clothes can bechanges while tattoos are more difficult to change.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have a tattoo. My wife got a tattoo at age 51 along with a good friend ofhers who is 80, another friend who is forty something, and another friend whois 29. They all got a form of jaguar. I love the one my wife got and was quite surprisedthat she got one. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM

706 posts, read 820,478 times
don't get a tattoo on your face, hands or neck OR else you will have a tough time finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty