Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I don't care what people have on their bodies ---- that's their problem and when they get old(er) and their skin starts wrinkling and sagging, they'll be in for a surprise.

Anyway.... when I was about 20 (I'm 51 now), I dated a guy with a lot of tattoos.... A LOT.... like almost every inch of his body covered in tattoos. Anyway, he was a "bad boy" and I thought he was cool, etc. Well, when the day came when we decided to "consumate" our relationship, I was completely turned off. He was standing there in his boxers and the tattoos just looked gross, dirty, whatever. It was just such a turnoff for me. I liked HIM but after that, I hated the tattoos. Our relationship didn't last much longer after that and I never dated another guy with a bunch of tattoos.
I would find too many tattoos on a woman's body a turn-off, too.

I think it's pretty faddish but people have every right to do it to their bodies and I don't judge them for it. It's just not something I find attractive on a woman, and it will be a drawback. Too many tats is a dealbreaker for me.

I'm 27, btw, and pretty open-minded. I just don't care for most tats aesthetically, although I definitely appreciate the artistry that goes into them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Ah, judgemental AND ignorant. At least you're proud of it.

My wife has a beautiful tribute tattoo on her arm. I don't have any tats. My wife is in her late '40s and businesswoman (she used to be an EMT/paramedic but then transferred to being a programmer for a medical call center software company, now she runs her own medical practic cycle management company). She got this tattoo to remember her parents, as they passed away this past year.

Anyone thinking that she's an uneducated hillbilly is an idiot.
Whatever works for you, man.

Another poster said it well. Would you put a bumper sticker on a Bentley/Ferrari?? It takes hillbilly attitude and notions to do something like that. Not to be associated with people with really educated minds.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
Whatever works for you, man.

Another poster said it well. Would you put a bumper sticker on a Bentley/Ferrari?? It takes hillbilly attitude and notions to do something like that. Not to be associated with people with really educated minds.

Haha, that is absolutely true. You never see bumper stickers on exotic cars, just minivans and cars like that.

I think tattoos and piercings are a current trend that is running out of steam, and the people who got them will regret it in the coming years. In fact, it has spawned a whole new industry.........I just drove past a business last night with a big neon sign that read "Tattoo Removal".

I have seen some very pretty young ladies who sported some very obvious tattoos and piercings and you wonder what in the hell they were thinking to disfigure themselves that way.

Don

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The last holdouts, such as law offices and financial planners
will take longer.
Nope. I'm female, 50+ and have two tattoos and work in a large corporate law firm. Everyone knows about them (and you can see them as they are on my ankles) and no big deal. And others also have tats.

It's a brave new world old people!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 598,356 times
I can't tell you how many suburban moms I see running around at Youth Football Games with tattoos all over their flip-fopped feet and ankles. Seems it's the "in" thing like the typical "North Face Uniform"

I don't get it...

Me? I don't have any tattoos. My wife has one and regrets getting it (flightly 18 year old rebellion moment). But she would consider one that "meant something" to her.

I may get a flour-de-lis tat one day.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
Again, you are proud of being closed minded, judgemental and ignorant. Do you like having limited mental abilites, or are you capable of learning to overcome them?

Hey, I figured since you started out being an insulting prick, I can at least return the favor.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM

451 posts, read 769,779 times
I honestly don't understand the problem some people have with tattoos. It's that person's body, they can do what they want with it. It isn't for you to like or dislike, it's for them. What's the big deal?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
I try not to judge people for having tattoos, though I don't like them. I think they are a particularly stupid passing fad. However, like anything, they can be done poorly or well.

When I have been in hiring positions I would not hire people that had tatoos that couldn't be completely covered. The company I ran tried to maintain a conservative environment.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
True. And any woman that has a visible tatoo will only be attractive to a guys who share this fad.
Nope. I have a full sleeve and part of my upper back tattooed and the guy I'm with has no tattoos and no interest in getting any. He's also highly educated and works as a business consultant and venture capitalist. I guess he's just slumming it with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Human nature has it that people look into the eyes of another human being to make a character judgement- That is made difficult when the person is covered in body art. There is a young guy who works at the local wine store...He has very colorful full sleeve tattoos..>When I view this person all I see is the art- HE is secondary.
I think it says more about YOU than it does the man with the tattoos. If you dissect people apart by what they look like, perhaps you should concentrate on viewing others as actual people instead of visual parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Would you ever put a bumper sticker on a Bentley? No, you wouldn't. Then there's no way a tattoo would go on me.

And I'm a millennial...
That's assuming you're a Bentley... I've met a VERY small amount of people who could be classified as Bentleys, Ferraris or Lambourghinis.... most people are Carollas, Maximas or Sentras

Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
If a person has a tattoo, all it proves about a person is...they have a tattoo.

I've met people who you'd swear were as buttoned-up and traditional as they come, only to learn that they're tattooed. I've also met people with wild rocker-style appearances and behavior who hate tattoos and won't get them. And, of course, I've met people between both ends of that spectrum with and without ink.

Having tattoos doesn't make you an ill-educated "hillbilly" any more than the lack of tattoos makes you a genius sophisticate.

If you met me, I don't believe you'd guess I was tattooed. I look like any other office professional 30-something. I have two college degrees, I've been married for several years, I have a stable work history, money in the bank, all of the benchmarks of a successful life. And yet? I have five tattoos -- the first when I was 18, the last at 22. You can't see any of them unless I'm in a swimsuit, and I don't anticipate ever taking a job where swimwear is the preferred attire.

I don't regret any of my tattoos. They're a part of me now, a part of my skin.

My grandmother, who was as traditional as they come, had the best reaction to my tattoos. "Well, <thatswanlady>, I don't understand why you'd do that to your skin, but as long as you don't try to do it to mine, it's okay by me!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty