U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,499,347 times

Advertisements

Goodwill usually has a few formal dresses. Have you tried 2nd hand stores? You can try them on and save a ton of $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM

13,459 posts, read 24,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Goodwill usually has a few formal dresses. Have you tried 2nd hand stores? You can try them on and save a ton of $$$$.
I've done that too! You never know what you will find. I bought an Ungaro dress at Goodwill once.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM

969 posts, read 2,463,479 times
Pants (Again) - and pieces can be worn as parts of other outfits in the future

JCPenney department

Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 PM

15,542 posts, read 35,700,142 times
Ebay! I get all kinds of nice things from Ebay and have never had a bad experience yet, and I have over 1000 transactions!

Check out evening gowns, evening wear, pageant gowns,ballroom dance dresses and formal gowns. You will get a lot of things to look at. Sometimes I get my ballroom wear off Ebay and embellish it with more stones for my comps.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,313,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
It's time to freak out!!!

Christmas office party function coming up relatively soon, you guessd it!

What to wear!?!?!?

I went shopping/browsing last night for a bit, I clean up nice! dayyum!! I tried on this black floor length gown, with a halter-style rouche (sp?) at the top... all black and whispy material, was so pretty. and tight! but slimming... as long as I don't eat while I'm wearing it... or for several days beforehand, I should be fine... hahaha.

I'm just not prepared to share that much cleavage in one night, with people I have to continue to work with on a daily basis afterwards! LOL Know what I mean?

My issue is this... this is a formal Christmas function. All the formal dresses and gowns I was looking at that are evening style, are all strapless, or spaghetti straps... how does one stay warm? Obviously a coat or cape while outside, but is it the normal thing to do now, to wear such little on top inside no matter what time of year it is? It's been a few years since I've had to "put on the dog", so I'm asking for all kinds of help!

I don't want to have to buy some $300.00 gown just for one night. I think I'll cry! But I'm tickled pink, I want to go to this thing. It's not everyday your company buys out the entire hotel and ballroom for the evening-to-morning.

Any suggestions on where to shop? what to expect? is this one of those "wear pantyhose or DIE" kind of nights? I think I'll die

PS: I'm no size two here.. any places in the mall that sell the really attractive gowns, are always catering to the teeny weeny ones. Think 10-12.

Please help?
Youre absolutely right about not showing too much. Its been a while But I remember how peeps talked about the women who who showed up at company functions in skimpy outfits.

All good suggestions. How about a velvet or satin skirt a camisole and a sheer evening blouse tucked in. Also check out brides maid dresses. Some of them are quite stylish. Also you could wear an evening suit with lots of sparkle.

Do you know anyone that sews. You could take a strapless and add an overlayer of sheer fabric that covers your arms etc... Think of the gowns they wore in the old movies.

Oh and forget the black dress. Im a red head too and I always flaunt it. Wear green or one of those other colors that we look great in and everybody else looks like theyre sick.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 11-16-2007 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: If I can find a size 16 you should have no trouble.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:44 PM
miu

16,521 posts, read 33,487,698 times
I love shopping on eBay! Most of my evening wear has come from there. I do go to consignment and thrift shops too for clothing. I usually look through some fashion mags first for inspiration.

I have a 31st high school reunion party to go to next week, but haven't decided what to wear yet. The dress code is casual, no ties, but I don't care. I will probably overdress at least a little bit. At the 25th, I was in a leopard spotted velvet mini skirt. Whatever I do, I always make sure that my feet will be happy all night long. So flats or boots with chunky heels.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
. Also check out brides maid dresses. Some of them are quite stylish..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am SO glad I was never given the "honor" of being a bridesmaid - I never saw a dress that didn't look HORRID.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:15 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,313,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am SO glad I was never given the "honor" of being a bridesmaid - I never saw a dress that didn't look HORRID.
Trust me. Theyre not as bad as they used to be. A lot of teens are even using them for prom. Also you need to really look at a dress. Sometimes when all the embellishments are removed you have a very kewl dress. Remember Sophia Laren in House Boat.

Brides arent getting away with torturing their attendants like they used to. Also women are more vocal now. Before we kept our mouths shut and wore it. Now we say Im not wearing that crap. Especially if I have to pay for it. Used to be all sherbert colors. Now they have black and white and all kinds of bold colors too.

I remember being in one wedding where all the attendants were in a really yellow olive green. Everybody looked like hell. I think that was her plan so she would look extra good. Too bad she forgot about us red heads. We look fab in olive green. LOL.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Trust me. Theyre not as bad as they used to be. .
I watch Brideszilla and Destination Weddings and all those crappy programs (please don't ask why - I have NO idea) - I would rather show up in Saran Wrap and a tin foil helmet than some of the dresses I have seen.

Your size 2 friend does NOT look the same as your size 22 friend in the back fat guaranteed dress

Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 AM

13,459 posts, read 24,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I watch Brideszilla and Destination Weddings and all those crappy programs (please don't ask why - I have NO idea) - I would rather show up in Saran Wrap and a tin foil helmet than some of the dresses I have seen.

Your size 2 friend does NOT look the same as your size 22 friend in the back fat guaranteed dress
Now there's an idea. Saran Wrap and a tinfoil helmet! She'll be the belle of the ball and no one will be able to talk about anything else. They do have Saran Wrap in pretty colors now.

Oh the picture in my head. Purple wrap and sort of a viking helmet with horns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty