U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,243,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
On this board I've heard many men specifically state that they aren't into blondes, or that they prefer brunettes. Of course, the old dumb blonde stereotypes have been around for awhile time, but according to many men, it seems gentlemen no longer prefer blondes.

Of course, many of these men would still chase after a really hot blonde girl, but I find that there almost seems to be a backlash, maybe they see it as 'getting back at white people' against blondes. Is it just me or do you notice it too?

If you are suffering thinning hair, dyeing your hair blond or lighter colors will serve to "hide" that fact better than dark hair.

Also, very young kids are blonds but with age their hair darkens.

Some associate blond hair with a younger look.

Also there is the come here, tap this, allure.

I'd leave the race card in your holster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM

10,862 posts, read 18,892,348 times
I don't think it's any sort of racial thing.

Most blondes are perceived as high-maintenance.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM

11,416 posts, read 13,961,436 times
To the OP: are you kidding?

Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,373,641 times
Yes, I'm seeing a backlash of sorts against blondes. When I was growing up (born in 1981) I felt that blondes were generally favored. Now dark hair is the general preference. Just like when I was growing up boobs were the most important body part. Now it's the ass. I'm talking about the overall message from the culture, not about individual, personal preference.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM

896 posts, read 912,930 times
Quote:
On this board I've heard many men specifically state that they aren't into blondes, or that they prefer brunettes. Of course, the old dumb blonde stereotypes have been around for awhile time, but according to many men, it seems gentlemen no longer prefer blondes.

Of course, many of these men would still chase after a really hot blonde girl, but I find that there almost seems to be a backlash, maybe they see it as 'getting back at white people' against blondes. Is it just me or do you notice it too?
You should leave the US sometime. In Europe no one would ever say something so stupid such as equating blondes with "white people". Only people who have never left the US would view this in terms of black and white as though those terms hold any relevancy whatsoever.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,084,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't think it's any sort of racial thing.

Most blondes are perceived as high-maintenance.
IMO, it's not a racial issue at all. It's simply that blondes have been overly exposed in the media for decades. Seems like, even in this 21st century, that's all one sees thru the media.

There's no denying that many blondes are aesthetically appealing. However, over-exposure can arrest the thrill of seeing a dazzling young blonde news reporter, talk show host, commercial model, etc. As the old saying goes . . . "Familiarity breeds contempt."

I myself would rather gaze at - and am impressed by - lovely Asian women with long flowing silky shinny jet-black hair. It's a matter of preference.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,084,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Yes, I'm seeing a backlash of sorts against blondes. When I was growing up (born in 1981) I felt that blondes were generally favored. Now dark hair is the general preference. Just like when I was growing up boobs were the most important body part. Now it's the ass. I'm talking about the overall message from the culture, not about individual, personal preference.
Hilarious! But generally true!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 4,123 times
I never experienced or saw this. I dye my hair blonde at least twice a year, and I get equal positive attention from men no matter the color of my hair. But, like you have said, there is a strange obsession with big badunkadunks now, so maybe that's why I've been getting so much attention lately?!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
You should leave the US sometime. In Europe no one would ever say something so stupid such as equating blondes with "white people". Only people who have never left the US would view this in terms of black and white as though those terms hold any relevancy whatsoever.
Read the whole thread. I'm not equating blondes with white people, did I say that? That's what you think. I'm saying it's part of that Aryan ideal that was promoted.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 AM

586 posts, read 768,595 times
Quote:

I don't see it. In fact going by Hollywood standards, blonde preference is just as strong as ever. One of the Kardashians turned blond. Apparently Amanda Bynes turned blonde. There's even an article from last year:

Blondes have more fun! Men really DO prefer blondes when picking a date | Mail Online

I think I might understand some of the reasons for the stereotypes and why some guys may not prefer blonde women. I read in a book once that people with lighter hair color are seen as more youthful and fun. It seems like, while that's good for a fling, its not good for a long term relationship. I also understand this happens:

Why blondes make men act dumb | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty