U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
How is my own personal experience wrong? It's very, very simple- if you wear two layers instead of one, you will always feel warmer. I know it because sometimes I try to wear an undershirt under certain shirts for work, and I always feel uncomfortably warm so I have to take off the undershirt- then I feel noticeably cooler. I know I am very warm blooded, can't stand indoor temperatures above maybe about 72 so I am probably more sensitive to it than other people, but this is the truth about the layers-not just speculation. To argue against that would be like saying you don't feel warmer in the winter outside if you put on a jacket or a coat!

Incorrect. As the t-shirt is a cooling mechanism in that it wicks perspiration away from the body making you feel cooler. You're not wearing dress shirts if this is happening. It is completely different then wearing an additional layer meant to keep heat in, as opposed to a layer to wick perspiration and heat away. I'm sure you're one of those people that do not understand how perspiration is a cooling mechanism of the body (another scientific fact) as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
undershirts also act as an extra layer and help keep the wind chill out

if you live near the ocean a tshirt helps so you dont need to wear a jacket

It is one of the great things about undershirts, they add a bit of insulation in cool whether, and act as coolant in hot whether. It makes perfect sense if you know the physiology of the human body.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGalBee View Post
Okay this is going to be the undershirt issue revisited. Do you realize how ridiculous you look with a t shirt sticking out of your polo collar, or the outline of a wifebeater under your dress shirt? There is no reason to worry about "too much chest hair" unless you have unbuttoned THE FIRST FOUR buttons. I realize many many people do this but I think it is a ridiculous look, and doesn't look very "proper."
You know, I totally disagree with your opinion. Apparently many men do too.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,433,769 times
I live in the deep south where you all know how hot and humid it is. An undershirt does absorb the sweat and I am a heavy sweater. With no undershirt I look wet and nasty. If you can get away with not sweating in other parts of the country then wear what you feel like. I like the look and feel of good grooming. Always have.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,113,536 times
One of the only men I've known who consistently wore undershirts (even under polos) lives in Texas, where it is scorching hot.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM

11,014 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think men loop polished or well dressed without an undershirt. I don't enjoy seeing a man's nipples or chest hair.
Yes, most dress shirts aren't made of the thickest material. If they are light in color, everything underneath is going to be visible. I'd much rather be able to notice the sleeves of an undershirt rather then the size/shape of the man's nipple and whether or not he shaves his chest. I think it looks more professional that way.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:14 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
There is truth to this causing sweating, because someone is wearing an extra layer of clothing, which holds in more body heat, causing the person to be warmer than they would without it.
Whatever heat a think cotton undershirt generates is nothing compared to wearing a gross sweat soaked dress shirt.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,113,536 times
Due to this thread, I tried to detect today whether one of my male co-workers was wearing an undershirt. He was wearing a polo-style shirt, but a dressier one, with a thicker type of fabric, and it was buttoned up to the second to the top button. I could not see any seam lines of an undershirt through the fabric.

But I will conduct more research next week and report back.

This has become one of my all time favorite threads for some strange reason.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,496,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, most dress shirts aren't made of the thickest material. If they are light in color, everything underneath is going to be visible. I'd much rather be able to notice the sleeves of an undershirt rather then the size/shape of the man's nipple and whether or not he shaves his chest. I think it looks more professional that way.
I agree -- even the color of the skin shows through. Just looks tacky, to me.

And recently I've seen some men at parties or dance events, sweating profusely through their shirts -- and I mean the whole shirt, not just the underarms. Ughhhh, gross...I don't believe that would be the case if they wore an undershirt.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,531,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Probably no more than menstrual pads cause bleeding.
That doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty