U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM

811 posts, read 980,966 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of stupid people making erroneous comments in this thread.

Underwear serve purposes:
1. Sweat absorption
2. Fight white shirt transparency
3. Undo the nipple effect
4. Prevent yellowing of the armpits (some deos, even good ones like mitchum, do this)
5. Applying cologne on the armpits and preventing it from spilling into a dress shirt and chemically reacting with the fabric

All of this are done to enhance one's sartorial presentation to the rest of the world.

Those who don't do underwear, especially under a shirt:

1. Need some sartorial schooling
2. Smell bad
3. Have little knowledge of deos/colognes (I wonder if they apply cologne on the shirt itself)
4. Appear trashy with pokey nipples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM

811 posts, read 980,966 times
I wear V-necks with even polo shirts. I picked up deep V-neck underwear in Macy's to serve the purpose of hiding it well within my polo shirts. I think it was Calvin Klein's slim fit version. The polos I have come from Thomas Pink, Duchamp, Aquascutum etc., and there's no way in hell I'm letting deo/cologne spill into that fabric. Any yellowing or fabric degradation will make me literally cry.

When the wuss is wearing one of those, it's impossible to even imagine he has a V-neck underneath

Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The de-masculinization of America continues....

"I don't like to see my man's chest hair or nipples through his polo shirt." Well I don't care what you like! I don't shave my chest & I don't wear a t-shirt....because I'm a MAN! I ooze testosterone! Most of my golf shirts have self-wicking abilities built in, as well as SPF protection, so no need for a cumbersome t-shirt.

REAL men have hairy chests & nips that poke out through their shirts.
Historically men have worn even more layers of clothing, not less, so I don't know when you think this golden age of layerless masculine clothing happened.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:48 AM

960 posts, read 1,960,395 times
Undershirts are very practical. Not only do they hide sweat, especially when wearing dress shirts, they also enhance dress shirts by creating a smoother, more modest appearance. They add a level of modesty that is especially fitting for business wear.They are an expression of good taste, something that seems to be slipping away from our culture at an alarming rate.

I thin there are few looks more fitting for men than a crisp, starched white shirt with an obligatory undershirt. I can't image any well tailored businessman dressing in any other way.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
For my entire life I have almost always, unless we are in a heat wave worn a tee shirt under my button up shirt. At the least I match the colours!!!! I just find it much more comfortable and of course being a Canadian it's warmer. Three seasons of the year it's cold here and I would rather wear a tee under my shirt than a sweater over my shirt.

PS, I never ever wear a sweater without some kind of garment under it. I like wool sweaters and they are mega itchy if worn against the skin. Also I only want my wool sweaters to be washed once per year. It's a pain hand washing them and they don't like it either.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGalBee View Post
Okay this is going to be the undershirt issue revisited. Do you realize how ridiculous you look with a t shirt sticking out of your polo collar, or the outline of a wifebeater under your dress shirt? There is no reason to worry about "too much chest hair" unless you have unbuttoned THE FIRST FOUR buttons. I realize many many people do this but I think it is a ridiculous look, and doesn't look very "proper."
Some guys sweat, they need that shirt as a buffer.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM

12,637 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Goodness, how much do some of you people sweat? I live in Miami and walk to work and sweating is not a concern, what in the heck are some of you doing?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:35 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,195,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Goodness, how much do some of you people sweat? I live in Miami and walk to work and sweating is not a concern, what in the heck are some of you doing?
That's great. For you.

For those that sweat, not so much help...

Old 09-20-2013, 02:37 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
I'm a woman, and I've worn camisoles or tank tops or even t-shirts as a layer under an outer shirt, even in summer, and I haven't had the sweating issues that y'all are talking about.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,434,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It's heredity for me. My Dad was a heavy sweater as I am. Both of us are pretty stocky and hairy. He's gone now, but I remember well. Wished many times we had a cooler summer climate to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty