Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

In addition to the other reasons mentioned, my husband also wears undershirts/tanktops (tucked in) under his t-shirts. He doesn't tuck his t-shirts into his shorts or jeans. He often does a lot of physical work. He hates it when his t-shirt comes up and shows his belly. I think he's got great abs, but, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
It is a well known fact that Americans like their ugly surgical type underwear.

The rest of the world barely wears it at all, but on any American tv show they've all got undershirts and those enormous white y fronts.

I think it's something to do with the Bible Belt but I'm not quite sure what...

Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGalBee View Post
Okay this is going to be the undershirt issue revisited. Do you realize how ridiculous you look with a t shirt sticking out of your polo collar, or the outline of a wifebeater under your dress shirt? There is no reason to worry about "too much chest hair" unless you have unbuttoned THE FIRST FOUR buttons. I realize many many people do this but I think it is a ridiculous look, and doesn't look very "proper."
It keep you warm and a nice cotton T-shirt feels good.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
How do tank-style undershirts prevent perspiration under the arm pits from getting on a shirt? Aren't the armpits uncovered in those?
Good eye, that's why I wear the full t shirt style or V neck, although sometimes the V neck lines don't match my 1 button open dress shirt so I just go full t shirt as 90% of guys the biz world do.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 PM

17 posts, read 23,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longneck Bottle View Post
How can you guys stand a sweatshirt or hoodie without one?

Bend over and your boxer shorts waistband pops out....AND/OR....cold air hits your bare back.

Yikes!!

I'll leave out the CCW reason......

Cold on warm body......yEeEyYyYAAHHHHHH!!
Okay okay okay, I certainly don't expect anyone to wear a sweatshirt without another shirt underneath. Do you also think I expect you to wear a rainjacket on top of your bare skin??

LET ME CLARIFY: The thing that looks ridiculous is when people wear a crew neck t-shirt sticking out of a polo shirt, or any shirt that sticks out/shows beneath the actual shirt you are wearing. I don't have a problem with people who wear them for warmth reasons OR any other reason as long as they don't show & look ridiculous. Perhaps the wifebeater comment was off. Tank undershirts are actually not too terrible as long as they don't show through.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
Quote:
Okay this is going to be the undershirt issue revisited. Do you realize how ridiculous you look with a t shirt sticking out of your polo collar, or the outline of a wifebeater under your dress shirt? There is no reason to worry about "too much chest hair" unless you have unbuttoned THE FIRST FOUR buttons. I realize many many people do this but I think it is a ridiculous look, and doesn't look very "proper."
Woman, you certainly titled your thread wrong. Looks like you ran into some sartorially challenged adult males, who represent about 95% of the adult American male population.

Undershirts are a must for every grown man. Have to pick the right one and position it properly.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirit2219 View Post
When I saw this post, the first thing I thought was - because it keeps them extra warm in the winter.
LOL Just my take on things ;-)
Mine keep me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It's kind of like a Thermos - How do it know?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Okay okay okay, I certainly don't expect anyone to wear a sweatshirt without another shirt underneath. Do you also think I expect you to wear a rainjacket on top of your bare skin??

LET ME CLARIFY: The thing that looks ridiculous is when people wear a crew neck t-shirt sticking out of a polo shirt, or any shirt that sticks out/shows beneath the actual shirt you are wearing. I don't have a problem with people who wear them for warmth reasons OR any other reason as long as they don't show & look ridiculous. Perhaps the wifebeater comment was off. Tank undershirts are actually not too terrible as long as they don't show through.

Dont bother, who cares what you think about men wearing undershirts.

if i want to wear one, i will. Your opinion means squat to me, and probably most if not all of the men on this thread.

it needs to be closed now.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
I love when my white crew neck shows under my polos or crew neck t shirt. When they get old and wrinkly they go in the trash. Google up Michael Jordan bacon neck commercial. Great style is a clean white crew visible under another shirt.

fantastic.

nevermind ill do it for you.

http://youtu.be/YRklxND2NVk

Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Undershirts serve a practical purpose. Comfort during hot weather being one of them. Who wants a sweaty dress shirt clinging to their body on hot humid days? Some dress shirts are more sheer than others, do you really want to see man-nipples through a light colored dress shirt? Or skin/body hair in between poorly placed buttons? Undershirts also help keep the stink off of your outer shirt. Unless you are a French gigolo, there's nothing wrong with wearing an undershirt, it is actually encouraged.

If you're wearing a dress shirt with an open collar, V-neck or tank top is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty