U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times

Advertisements

If you don't wear an undershirt under a dress shirt you sweat through the dress shirt, no matter the blend (of course some are worse than others) even on moderately warm or humid days. Undershirts actually help make you more comfortable and look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,463,933 times
The Milton Waddums character in the movie Office Space remind me of the guys wearing white undershirts under their dress shirts.

As far as for myself, I have my shirts laundered and also starched when appropriate each week.

I don't expect every guy like myself to actually care enough about clothing to spend money like I do concerning such but I'm well pressed and creased and my wife appreciates the fact that I shop with her at Brooks Brothers and Lacoste.

Concerning perspiration I work out before work, My parking space at work is in a parking garage near the entrance to my office and I rarely leave the office building until I leave for the day.
In other words minimal perspiration.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
As far as for myself, I have my shirts laundered and also starched when appropriate each week.

I don't expect every guy like myself to actually care enough about clothing to spend money like I do concerning such but I'm well pressed and creased and my wife appreciates the fact that I shop with her at Brooks Brothers and Lacoste.

I don't have any polos, but most of my shirts are BB, with a smattering of others. I get them cleaned/pressed each use of course (can't imagine not doing that), and yeah, I'm wearing a tie with them, but of course I'm going to wear an undershirt.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:37 AM

389 posts, read 950,060 times
Sweat comes to mind. I wear one to the "Y" every day and it absorbs the sweat so I don't get into my car wringing wet. It has a practical use and when I arrive home I change into a clean dry one.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 AM

2,617 posts, read 4,103,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGalBee View Post
Okay this is going to be the undershirt issue revisited. Do you realize how ridiculous you look with a t shirt sticking out of your polo collar, or the outline of a wifebeater under your dress shirt? There is no reason to worry about "too much chest hair" unless you have unbuttoned THE FIRST FOUR buttons. I realize many many people do this but I think it is a ridiculous look, and doesn't look very "proper."
V-Neck Undershirt. Problem. Solved.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,253,013 times
I don't wear under-shirts... just feels too constrictive for me and makes me feel uncomfortable.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM

8,283 posts, read 5,837,909 times
1. Absorbs sweat - avoids the sweat spots in the underarms (which really looks not so good) - and I am very sensitive to heat and sweat easily!

2. Avoids visible nipples

3. Will protect the dress shirt and get more wear out of it

4. Visible undershirt collar can be avoided with a V-neck

Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,476,861 times
Only time I wear a T-shirt under is when I am wearing a dress shirt for work and yes it does absorb the sweat and keeps stains off your expensive dress shirts otherwise it's pointless.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Undershirts don't just keep sweat stains off your nice shirts, they absorb the aluminum that is in antiperspirant. That's what stains your white shirts yellow.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,156,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Who the hell are you? The fashion police?

Men sweat. Undershirts are cheap and absorb sweat. Dress shirts and polo shirts are expensive. Dress shirts and polo shirts that don't get stained by sweat last longer.

Get over it.
Exactly. It should also be mentioned that proper dress attire includes an undershirt, as a dress shirt should never rest directly against skin for reasons including the ones listed above.

Methinks the "fashion police" needs a remedial course in basic Attire 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty