U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wardrobing - Buy, Wear and Return (Multiple Choice)
I have done it 5 7.04%
I would never do it 55 77.46%
I know someone who does it 7 9.86%
I don't know anybody who does it 24 33.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 AM

636 posts, read 954,475 times

Advertisements

I've never done this, but I hate the fact that because many people DO do it, valid returns are now much more difficult. The closest I have come is when I had an interview for a job, and I knew the position required two rounds of interviews. For a variety of reasons, I thought I was a shoo-in for both rounds, so I went ahead and bought two new suits (not wanting to wear any of my old suits, and not wanting to wear the same suit to both interviews.) In the end I did not get the second interview. I probably would have just kept that second suit, anyway, except that in my mirror at home, in natural light, I realized it really didn't look good on me. So I guess my return was based on two things - my occasion for wearing it never materializing, and the realization that outside of the store dressing room, the suit didn't look good. I think that since I never wore that suit, aside from trying it on at home, this was a valid return. Fortunately I wasn't given a hard time, but I felt like my actions were suspicious.

Question - how can you really tell whether an item was worn and returned? I've tried on a lot of clothes which have deodorant streaks all over them. I've always assumed this was from someone trying the item on in the store (although it makes sense that the deodorant would be freshest and most likely to leave big white streaks right after it was applied - at home.) I've also tried on clothes which smelled of sweat, but who is to say someone sweaty didn't try the item on? Would anyone ask for a discount on something with deodorant on it, even if it's probably not a returned item?

Edit - most of the time, I am like jerseygal, above. I rarely return clothes, even when I really should. That suit return was unusual. Part of the reason is that I really do have anxiety surrounding it, because I do anticipate at least being quizzed. It's all the more frustrating to be someone who never abuses the system - or even uses it that much - and to be given a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 AM

9,487 posts, read 13,344,036 times
I was with a co-worker once who wanted to return a pair of dress shoes she wore for a night out. I told her I doubted the store would take them back since they were obviously scuffed and had been worn. She 'fixed' that problem by breaking a heel and taking them back as defective. I was mortified.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 AM

15,590 posts, read 9,657,290 times
The scarey part is, these are the same people who say they hate criminals and crime, yet what they are doing is stealing. In a lot of cases the store can't even resell the item, so it goes into the dumpster, or even if they do resell it, some poor sucker is buying a used item and unknowingly wearing it after someone else. The other thing is that the cost of these returns gets passed on to you and me as a business expense, so we all pay higher prices because of it.

It happens in every industry. I work in the marine industry and people buy things like inflatable boats and use them for their cruise, and then they return them when they get back. They say " they didn't like it" and our loose company return policy allows them to do it.

I see it as stealing , pure and simple, and I am really surprised that some people are so cheap they think this is ok to do. People are very disappointing sometimes.

Don

Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 AM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
People are lying, cheating sacks of ****? News flash!

No, op...never.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:46 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
My sister worked at a call center that took orders for a very high end fashion store. They had a very liberal return policy. She told me that every spring, fur coats (that were purchased in the fall) were returned with claims they were defective. She also said when calls were slow, the reps were sent down to the warehouse where they would have to clean clothes that were returned so they could be re-sold. This included bathing suits that had soiled crotches. (sorry for that disgusting revelation).

This store doesn't have a cheap item in their inventory, and their customers must have plenty of money to spend, so it boggles my mind that they would be so cheap as to return worn items. Personally, I would NEVER do it. If you did more than just try it on, it is now yours.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 AM

811 posts, read 981,298 times
I once got a heater from Target because my landlord is a lazy bum who won't fix it fast.

I used it for 10 days and he fixed it.

I packed the heater, returned it and got back my 74 bucks.

I used it to buy clothes, samosas and groceries.

I am a smart shopper. It's the Indian inside me.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:02 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
And now some poor slob has purchased a used heater, thinking it was new. Not nice.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,887 times
No, and how graceless and cheap that behavior is.

Why do people do that? Is it because they cant really afford the clothing in the first place?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:16 AM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
I once got a heater from Target because my landlord is a lazy bum who won't fix it fast.

I used it for 10 days and he fixed it.

I packed the heater, returned it and got back my 74 bucks.

I used it to buy clothes, samosas and groceries.

I am a smart shopper. It's the Indian inside me.
Thanks for giving all Indians a bad name.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 AM

15,590 posts, read 9,657,290 times
Even when these people say they "carefully" repack the item and return it, the thing never looks right, and the next person buying one will push that box aside because it looks like it has been tampered with. So the company takes the hit for someone being so self centered that they think it is ok to use the business as a rental place, with no rent paid.

I see it every day, and it just hurts my head.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or