U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,847,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
What's funny is that the guy was wearing jeans and his favorite sports team t-shirt, which made me feel overdressed for the interview. I think he said it was casual Friday...And then he started talking about the sport season that is coming up... And I had no idea what he was talking about.
I can't do small talks on a sport related subject and I wore a lace camis; maybe this job wasn't meant to be mine after all.

Oh well.
Not the right attitude! You have to try and learn from your failures so you don't repeat the mistakes. And about your dress, was that outfit also worn by other girls in that office? Try to post your question on an employment forum or ask an employment counsellor for reliable advice. Of course, it's also possible that the guy was a starer so you could have wrapped yourself in a London Fog and his eyes would have still pierced through.

Anyway, was he the first person to interview? A lot of times, interviewers exchange notes before each session (I don't like that approach because it creates a bias) and if they have made up their mind about not hiring you, will spend the entire session just chatting.

Good luck in your job hunt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Unprofessional and not appropriate.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Moral of the story: an interview is not the time to try your edgy or trendy looks.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:25 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Other moral of story: research the workplace and dress accordingly, erring on the side of going slightly more formal than is likely necessary. Expectations vary in different industries.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,512,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I had an interview today and the guy doing the interview kept glancing at my chest the whole time. I didn't think I was wearing something inappropriate, I mean, I'm not even big chested! Here's what I wore with a Jacket and Pants.

Lace Trim Cami | Ann Taylor

Is it not appropriate???
Eh, probably not, and if he was glancing at your chest, now you have to wonder if the interviewer took you seriously...because it doesn't seem he was paying attention to whatever you were saying. He was "distracted" In interviews, judiciously "covered up" is a better look. A shirt with some sleeves and a collar is a better choice, even if you are wearing a jacket. The camisole, while pretty, was too stylish (and revealing) for purpose.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
One thing of note, cultural differences in ''appropriate dress''. I lived in Utah, with a primarily conservative culture, but I was interviewing for a targeted group, to increase workforce diversity. It was very interesting for me to evaluate dress of various cultural groups.

My ''normal'' changed, because the target group, dressed significantly different than the norm.

And that is fine. But, I still did not see any camisoles.

I saw a lot of church clothing, not necessarily professional, but I was still impressed. And more flashy jewelry than usual, but they were dressing up, and I was very happy to see how carefully the applicants had paid attention to looking their best. Maybe some were a bit lower cut than normal, or some shorter skirts, that was fine, as the target group was younger.

One applicant came in a large African caftan, with an elaborate hair style. Large, gold jewelry. And she was great, her personality was friendly and effusive. We knew we wanted her on the spot, because of her huge smile. And her gold tooth, was part of the package.

So, some of us fuddies do make allowances for age, cultural heritage and other diversity. But blatantly sexy, is not okay for many jobs.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times
I just checked out the link to the tank again. The description for it says:

Edged in lacy point d'esprit, this versatile stretch cotton cami layers beautifully beneath a sweater or a jacket. Adjustable spaghetti straps.

I can see why the OP would assume it was ok to do so.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post

And, nude pantyhose? C'mon, EllaTea and others on her side, I know how much you hate them, but here's my opinion:

It's fair to say that they lose popularity in regular workplaces today in America, but still a lot of women wear them on occasions like wedding or churches, and other relatively "formal" occasions. And a small number of women, who are brave, still wear them to workplace despite that it's against the trend. You don't have to go to Alamaba to see that. You can see them in cities like NY, DC, LA... Again, I'm not saying it is a majority, but don't lynch the minority who wear them just fine. In my opinion, pantyhose does provide great help to some women without much confidence in their bare legs. But it is not popular for several reasons (we all know why) and women who could benefit from them (including my sweet wife) are forced to show bare legs or just choose to wear pants, because of the "trend" and some people like you who overly discredit them.

It's not women who "don't have confidence in their bare legs". When you wear panty hose, you look more complete, polished, and professional.

The "bare legs", to me, just looks lazy --- like someone who can't be bothered to dress professionally so they just slip on some cheap H&M skirt and a blouse and they're out the door.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It's not women who "don't have confidence in their bare legs". When you wear panty hose, you look more complete, polished, and professional.

The "bare legs", to me, just looks lazy --- like someone who can't be bothered to dress professionally so they just slip on some cheap H&M skirt and a blouse and they're out the door.
Or maybe all the nude panty hose looks crazy on you. They don't like to make nude hose for my skin tone. It all looks terrible. I go without or wear patterned.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 PM

451 posts, read 596,206 times
I only wear black panty hose anymore, and only for more "fancy" occasions. But, I don't feel bare legs are appropriate for the office, either. So I either wear leggings under a dress or skirt or just wear slacks. I probably wouldn't wear the leggings in an office with a more formal dress code, but my office is "business casual" and they're allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty