U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:29 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times

Advertisements

I am an old woman, my legs are ugly. That being said, I wear stockings. But I often wear colored tights, especially black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Or maybe all the nude panty hose looks crazy on you. They don't like to make nude hose for my skin tone. It all looks terrible. I go without or wear patterned.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
I was in on an interviewing team when we were reviewing applicants for our most recent educator position. The interviewing panel represented a fairly diverse age range and range of positions (myself - teacher, upper thirties; supervisor, male, lower thirties, supervisor, female, lower thirties; school director, female, upper thirties; HR director, female, fifties; company owner, female, upper forties).

We had one applicant who wore nude hose with her skirt and top, and was mocked for it behind closed doors after the interview. I'm not saying it's right, but, no, the nude hose look was NOT considered a "dress to impress" tactic by some key people on the team. Now, she got the position, even though her sartorial choice was called into question, because ultimately, it really doesn't matter if a teacher looks frumpy, it matters if they can do the job. There was some concern that she was fuddy-duddy who wouldn't relate well to the people with whom she would need to, and that sort of has played out, actually. Not saying the choice of attire was an indicator, but then again, could be.

People need to bear in mind that hiring panels may be more diverse in age and opinion than one might think. I'm reading a lot of posts that say, "The people hiring you? They're old and conservative." Maybe, maybe not. I've been the oldest interviewer in a group, before, in my midthirties.

That said, it is still safer to err on the side of conservatism. I'm just saying, I was part of a hiring team where the presence of nude pantyhose, deemed by some to be a necessity, was decidedly NOT considered to be professional, it was considered frumpy and out of touch.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM

For the record, I would never wear hose to work or to an interview. I have worn tights often, though.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 PM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
I haven't ever worn nude hose to work ever. Only to church/funerals. I have worn patterned tights. If I saw someone wearing nude hose in my line of work, or region, I'd wonder if they were interviewing at a super conservative posh bank.

But I haven't even been able to find close enough toned hose since about 1999.

I am that unclassy girl with bare legs at the interview.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:37 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,873,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Maybe a "true" cami in the lingerie sense, but that is not what the OP posted a link to. The term camisole is now used to cover a tank top such as the one the OP posted a link to used for modesty sakes, to be worn under another garmet to cover cleavage, etc. it is meant to be seen. In this case, NOT underwear IMO.

Today at work I am wearing a V neck sweater with a camisole (tank style) underneath to keep my cleavage from showing. I am not walking around showing my underwear.

This would be more in line with "underwear" style camisole:
http://www.delicates.co.uk/photos/Th..._1001-1011.jpg

Not a knit style as the OP posted.

Had she said she wore a lingerie style cami, sure. That is way too sext for a job interview!
The posts below pretty much sum it up.

I have an acquaintance who loves boy short style underwear. She sometimes even wears them as shorts with nothing over them (eek). But, no matter how many times she insists they are actual shorts, what she is wearing is still underwear. You can label an item whatever you like and even wear it a different way, but that doesn't change what it really is.: underwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Bra, panties, boxers, etc. are your typical underwear, but a camisole is also underwear. The link the OP provided is not just a typical tank top, it is clothing that is meant to be worn under something. Underwear by definition is clothing worn under the outer garments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Camisoles as undergarments isn't really an opinion thing though. By definition they are in fact undergarments as they are meant to be layered and worn under clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Right...and many camisoles have built in bras; many smaller chested women also wear them in place of bras under clothes.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I haven't ever worn nude hose to work ever. Only to church/funerals. I have worn patterned tights. If I saw someone wearing nude hose in my line of work, or region, I'd wonder if they were interviewing at a super conservative posh bank.

But I haven't even been able to find close enough toned hose since about 1999.

I am that unclassy girl with bare legs at the interview.

I last wore nude hose in 1999 because they were required dress uniform for the music ensemble I was in as a college student.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
It really is a sad day when people do not understand the simple concept of "professional attire". A quick Google search of appropriate interview attire would have answered the OP's question.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
I got to admit...even by CD standards this is a tough section.

Not only is Flamboyante wrong but we shall torture her with a million snippy bits until she turns into an old hag.

Tough group.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,013,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I just checked out the link to the tank again. The description for it says:

Edged in lacy point d'esprit, this versatile stretch cotton cami layers beautifully beneath a sweater or a jacket. Adjustable spaghetti straps.

I can see why the OP would assume it was ok to do so.
But wearing it under a sweaters or jackets doesn't necessarily mean it's office appropriate, as jackets and sweaters are generic and typically casual. If they specified blazer, or something more office oriented, it would indicate an office/business setting. have the model demonstrate that. She's wearing jeans, indicating a casual look. Fine for a casual sweater or jacket, though.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Quote:
Or maybe all the nude panty hose looks crazy on you. They don't like to make nude hose for my skin tone. It all looks terrible. I go without or wear patterned.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

No one said they have to be "nude panty hose". There are many shades of panty hose, including colors and patterns.

You can also wear tights which look cute in Fall or Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty