U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM

11,672 posts, read 13,870,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Okay, I have to weigh in here.

I consider myself to be very "in the know" when it comes to fashion. I dress well and can coordinate outfits well. People often ask for my advice on what to wear. While I am not 100% sure that cami was appropriate or not (too many factors to consider here), I am surprised at the number of people who called that "underwear". IMO it is not. It is a tank top with lace. Not underwear. Now, if I had decided to wear that cami I would have possible worn it under a button up shirt under a jacket, not as a top itself. But that still doesn't make it underwear to me.

Also, I will be interviewing for a new job in the near future myself, and if I choose to wear a skirt, I will not be wearing panty hose. Do they even SELL them anymore? I don't know anyone under the age of 75 that wears them anymore (and I work in a corporate office setting).

*edit* to clarify...I am speaking specifically about NUDE pantyhose. Just no.
A camisole is defined as an "undergarment." An undergarment is underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,580,363 times
There's absolutely nothing inappropriate with what the original poster wore. Nothing. It is feminine and pretty.
People here are ridiculous.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
There's absolutely nothing inappropriate with what the original poster wore. Nothing. It is feminine and pretty.
People here are ridiculous.
Feminine and pretty is fine for dates. On a job interview you want to project yourself as professional and capable, not girlish or sexy.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-24-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM

8,671 posts, read 8,851,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
A camisole is defined as an "undergarment." An undergarment is underwear.
Maybe a "true" cami in the lingerie sense, but that is not what the OP posted a link to. The term camisole is now used to cover a tank top such as the one the OP posted a link to used for modesty sakes, to be worn under another garmet to cover cleavage, etc. it is meant to be seen. In this case, NOT underwear IMO.

Today at work I am wearing a V neck sweater with a camisole (tank style) underneath to keep my cleavage from showing. I am not walking around showing my underwear.

This would be more in line with "underwear" style camisole:
http://www.delicates.co.uk/photos/Th..._1001-1011.jpg

Not a knit style as the OP posted.

Had she said she wore a lingerie style cami, sure. That is way too sext for a job interview!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,053,013 times
Sorry I missed this ttidbit...How old is the OP, and specifically what kind of job was it?

Her INexperience or a young age are the only reasons I can fathom that she would think that for serious office job the cami was appropriate.

Now, if it's so-so gig - fast food, food service, retail of some sort -- where you won't even need biz attire, but your just need to look SEMI professional to get the gig -- maybe.

Last edited by rdflk; 09-24-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Maybe a "true" cami in the lingerie sense, but that is not what the OP posted a link to. The term camisole is now used to cover a tank top such as the one the OP posted a link to used for modesty sakes, to be worn under another garmet to cover cleavage, etc. it is meant to be seen. In this case, NOT underwear IMO.

Today at work I am wearing a V neck sweater with a camisole (tank style) underneath to keep my cleavage from showing. I am not walking around showing my underwear.

This would be more in line with "underwear" style camisole:
http://www.delicates.co.uk/photos/Th..._1001-1011.jpg

Not a knit style as the OP posted.

Had she said she wore a lingerie style cami, sure. That is way too sext for a job interview!
But you are using the cami as a layering piece. Not a top. In the OPs case, the cami was inappropriate for the occasion, a job interview, which is much more formal than even a day at work.

You can absolutely use those camis at work, selectively, but not alone, and not as the only top at an interview.

As a busty person, I use those to add more coverage when a blouse might be a little too low for work.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,626,274 times
Quote:
And NO one in my office wears (nude) hose. I haven't since the mid 1990's. My interview for my current job? I wore a spring dress and my legs were bare. I hardly think a teeny bit of lace trim on a tank top would keep someone from getting hired if they were qualified for the job. Some on this thread act as though she showed up in pasties and 7" stripper heels!

Tights in cold weather are another story.
Same hear. the last time I wore panty hose (NUDE color) was sometime in the late 1990s when I first started working. I have NEVER worn them as part of an interview suit since. I don't know any of my other female friends that wear them either, and have not for years. And we are all working in respectable high-paying professional positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
There's absolutely nothing inappropriate with what the original poster wore. Nothing. It is feminine and pretty. People here are ridiculous.
Agreed. It is feminine and pretty. what it is not is professional and personally do not find it appropriate to wear to an interview by itself under a jacket.

Quote:

This is how I think the cami should be worn in an office environment. I think if the OP wore it under another shirt, with the lace or top of the shirt peaking out, it would not seem so bad. BUT, also given the fact that it was spaghetti straps, it just even more begs to be put UNDER something else for the office - not just a suit jacket.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,053,013 times
Save camis for AFTER you get the gig...and even then NOT on the FIRST DAY, please.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM

269 posts, read 566,662 times
Quote:
Okay, I have to weigh in here.

I consider myself to be very "in the know" when it comes to fashion. I dress well and can coordinate outfits well. People often ask for my advice on what to wear. While I am not 100% sure that cami was appropriate or not (too many factors to consider here), I am surprised at the number of people who called that "underwear". IMO it is not. It is a tank top with lace. Not underwear. Now, if I had decided to wear that cami I would have possible worn it under a button up shirt under a jacket, not as a top itself. But that still doesn't make it underwear to me.

Also, I will be interviewing for a new job in the near future myself, and if I choose to wear a skirt, I will not be wearing panty hose. Do they even SELL them anymore? I don't know anyone under the age of 75 that wears them anymore (and I work in a corporate office setting).

*edit* to clarify...I am speaking specifically about NUDE pantyhose. Just no.
I think you are slightly over-confident. Certainly, you can consider yourself "in the know" on fashion and your views on fashion can be respected, but it is always dangerous to present your personal views more than they deserve. After all, fashion and beauty are all subjective. There is no law written in stone. And it's all mutual, as long as the one who wears and the one who sees find it mutually acceptable and enjoyable, it's OK. Also sometimes, this has to do with wearer's self-confidence. Or, looking from a different angle, on a regular work day, you may push the limit by wearing something unusual if you want to experiment your style and you don't have to care about what others think. So in that case it doesn't have to be mutual if you can handle it alright.

You may be right--even "objectively" speaking--that the cami the OP wore was not underwear. But, that hardly matters because you just don't know OP's situation. Also, after all, you are a woman and your views are limited because of that. You don't seem to know what guys think and how irrational or stupid a majority of them are. If they think this was an underwear, then it is so (to them). You can ignore what they think and go your own way because you have high self-confidence. But please don't try to advise other girls out of your conviction thinking that would work for others too. I can imagine some girls who took advice from you may regret later taking it.... like "Oh, Sh*t, EllaTea said that was OK, but it was not after all....." They just don't come back to you and complain.

As for me, personally, I don't consider it an underwear, but I see the point why it could be viewed as one. For things like this right about the borderline, some are confident and adventurous, but others are not. They better stay safe.

And, nude pantyhose? C'mon, EllaTea and others on her side, I know how much you hate them, but here's my opinion:

It's fair to say that they lose popularity in regular workplaces today in America, but still a lot of women wear them on occasions like wedding or churches, and other relatively "formal" occasions. And a small number of women, who are brave, still wear them to workplace despite that it's against the trend. You don't have to go to Alamaba to see that. You can see them in cities like NY, DC, LA... Again, I'm not saying it is a majority, but don't lynch the minority who wear them just fine. In my opinion, pantyhose does provide great help to some women without much confidence in their bare legs. But it is not popular for several reasons (we all know why) and women who could benefit from them (including my sweet wife) are forced to show bare legs or just choose to wear pants, because of the "trend" and some people like you who overly discredit them.

Last edited by sequon; 09-24-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 3,559,524 times
I also think that with a job interview, if even one person finds your outfit inappopriate, that is one too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty