Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM

361 posts, read 724,843 times

Advertisements

I had an interview today and the guy doing the interview kept glancing at my chest the whole time. I didn't think I was wearing something inappropriate, I mean, I'm not even big chested! Here's what I wore with a Jacket and Pants.

Lace Trim Cami | Ann Taylor

Is it not appropriate???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
While I think you should have worn a collared blouse, it probably depends on whether or not you get the job as to whether it was appropriate attire. Many businesses do not want tank tops worn because they are not professional. As a high school teacher for many years, our students were not permitted to wear tanks.

I do like the top but I think it is better suited for evening/weekend situations.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
That depends~ were you interviewing for a bartender, server, hooters girl position? I would say not appropriate office wear.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,098 times
Even with a jacket--kudos for wearing the jacket--lace of any type is highly inappropriate for an interview. This is where you want to put your best foot forward. If it was a normal interview, and not an interview for, say, Google, where you're allowed to wear your pajamas, you can't go wrong with the following guidelines:

-skirt suit, in which skirt is no more than three inches above the knee. Skirt should be form-fitting, not flowing.
--a tucked-in button-down shirt or a shell
--a jacket that matches (complementing is not enough; it has to match) that fits well. Sleeves that are too short or long can be distracting.
--tights, even if they're clear. There's an obvious difference between bare legs and tights.
--a conservative heel that you can walk in
--conservative, tasteful pieces of matching jewelry
--tasteful makeup

That being said, the interviewer may have an eye contact problem--many people do, unfortunately-- and that is why he was staring at your chest. Not your problem.

If you look great and pulled together, you can get a job over someone who is a highly qualified slob!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM

361 posts, read 724,843 times
I'm shocked that you guys say it's not appropriate. I mean, I didn't wear it by itself. I showed the outfit to everyone at my house nobody thought it would've been inappropriate! I basically wore a suit with the cami inside.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:28 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I'm shocked that you guys say it's not appropriate. I mean, I didn't wear it by itself. I showed the outfit to everyone at my house nobody thought it would've been inappropriate! I basically wore a suit with the cami inside.
It all depends on what you are interviewing for. If I was hiring an HR type it was inappropriate. If I was hiring a marketing person for drugs(legal) or alcohol...might be fine. In some environs a little cami lace is fine...but in others it is a death sentence.

If the guy looked to much you had a bad interviewer. That is not your problem and has no bearing on your hiring. As much probability of helping as hurting.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The neckline was too low for work. Putting a jacket on doesn't hide that. All your friends are probably your age and also clueless. Sorry to be direct.

The guy had a problem and might have looked there anyway.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
You must have some thoughts that it was not appropriate or you wouldn't have asked!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Camisoles are UNDERWEAR. In an office environment, they are worn underneath a shirt, not instead of a shirt. You wear it over your bra, and under your shirt.

If you didn't want to hear opinions of whether or not it was appropriate, you shouldn't have come here and asked for them.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:18 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Yes asked a question and are annoyed by the responses?

A lace cami is NOT appropriate attire for a professional job interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty