U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,529,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We call spring and fall the in-between weather. It doesn't last very long, is very unpredictable and is barely worth the money buying special clothing for.
Not really. I believe New England has a well defined fall season that lasts longer than ours. From September till early November is perfect fall weather up there. It is worth investing in fall clothes more so than winter. For winter, you are pretty much avoiding outside exposure anyways, so just wear a winter coat over your fall clothes. I live in NJ, and go to Boston & interior Connecticut very often. I have experienced all 4 seasons in NE, and fall is the most beautiful one.

However, Winter SUCKS !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 PM

40,960 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Every region has it's pros and cons when it comes to weather. In Texas, the summers are long, hot and dry, and keeping grass alive is a huge challenge. Plus, restaurants and other places keep the AC cranked up to offset the heat, and you can go from wilting in the parking lot to freezing inside, so oddly enough, you end up carrying around a jacket to wear over your sleeveless summery things. Grr.

But we shine during the fall and winter! I love fall in Texas - that big deep blue sky, the crisp air, and yes, we have trees and fall colors here in northeast Texas. The leaves often peak in color in November, sometimes as late as Thanksgiving, so that's always nice. Also, Halloween is usually not cold so you don't have to worry about getting cold in your Halloween costume (though you may have to worry about getting too hot if you're in a gorilla suit or wearing lots of feathers!). Winters here are great - cold enough for winter clothes but not generally icy or snowy. Days are usually in the 40s and 50s and nights are cold enough for a fire. In fact, January is one of my very favorite months here. We start warming up by the end of February and I always have to FORCE myself not to plant things in the bright spring sunshine too early because we WILL get a frost some time around Easter and it will kill everything!

I prefer winter clothes over summer clothes anyway, always have, so I love the chance to wear them, even if it is only for 4 months or so.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM

I hope this warm weather leaves soon and chilly fall returns. It's 73 F now, and feels more like early September. I am wearing shorts in mid October. This is not normal.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM

17,999 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Not really. I believe New England has a well defined fall season that lasts longer than ours. From September till early November is perfect fall weather up there. It is worth investing in fall clothes more so than winter. For winter, you are pretty much avoiding outside exposure anyways, so just wear a winter coat over your fall clothes. I live in NJ, and go to Boston & interior Connecticut very often. I have experienced all 4 seasons in NE, and fall is the most beautiful one.

However, Winter SUCKS !!!!!
WINTER SUCKS is so true.

Boston and interior CT are different. I live in northern MA on the New Hampshire border. This has been our first "fall" day with people NOT wearing shorts. First day of wearing a light jacket. Last year there was a bad snowstorm in October.

For winter (which lasts from Nov until May we are outside a lot and it is absolutely frigid out there. I wear cashmere sweaters (now those are worth investing in) and a heavy down parka or a long down coat. Cashmere hat, gloves, scarf. Warm boots. Flannel lined jeans or cords. We have to go out--

Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM

8,677 posts, read 8,861,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Looks like my sweatshirts will have to hold off this week. We are getting warm temperatures in the low to mid 70s this week and nighttime temperatures will remain above 55 F. Time to switch back to shorts and t shirts.
At 55 I am bundled up and possibly running the furnace. Its 63 now and I'm wearing a hoodie over a long sleeved tee, fleece PJ pants, and slippers. I'm sitting under a fleece blanket with 2 cold chihuahuas snuggled in. And I do not live in the south do that's not my excuse!

Old 10-12-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
At 55 I am bundled up and possibly running the furnace. Its 63 now and I'm wearing a hoodie over a long sleeved tee, fleece PJ pants, and slippers. I'm sitting under a fleece blanket with 2 cold chihuahuas snuggled in. And I do not live in the south do that's not my excuse!
Its 64 F here, and I have my windows wide open. I am wearing a short sleeve tee with shorts and enjoying the cool fresh breeze .

From next week onward's, the downward spiral towards winter starts. The 45 day forecast is predicting 2.7 in of snowfall over here on Thanksgiving day with a high of 35 F and low of 23 F. That should be an exciting turkey day .

Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,283,787 times
Its 82 degrees here and I'm in a tank top, shorts and sandals.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,491,762 times
It was 81 today, clear and gorgeous....everyone wants to be outside in this glorious weather....cool nights but the fall colors are late this year. Quite a few things are still blooming....the grass is spring green. We had a mild rarely humid summer.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Ok, I switched over to long pants. It started getting chilly after sundown. But today afternoon was a glorious 73 F. Beautiful day after the chilly, glum, and gloomy week with highs in the upper 50's to low 60's. Fall colors have started, but are a week late this year. We have below freezing low temps during the last week of October, so a drastic temperature drop is not far off.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM

The most difficult thing to handle during fall is the fact that temperatures vary rapidly like feathers on a windy day. So, you could be very comfortable wearing summer clothes in the afternoon, but shivering at night. I was wearing shorts and a T shirt yesterday afternoon when the high was 73 F, yet I was feeling cold overnight while sleeping in a t shirt long pants with a blanket on top. Today morning, I had cold feet, and trust me, it was no fun .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or