Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM

890 posts, read 1,648,963 times

Advertisements

So I'm a very laid back and casual 27 year old female. I mostly wear jeans and speakers. I'd like to revamp my wardrobe and I'm having trouble. I like very classy, preppy clothing, but I don't want to look to old. Also I can't wear heels, so I'm kinda restricted to what I can wear. I wear non logo shirts and straight jeans with chucks most of the time. I like Express and American Eagle. Any suggestions on what I can wear? I especially need a makeover because I look like a teenager
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM

361 posts, read 724,782 times
Express is a good store. I suggest you go there and explain to the sales associate what you just said in your post, they will be able to find appropriate and trendy outfits for you and your body type.
If you can, I would also suggest Ann Taylor because the sales associates there are usually helpful and take time to listen to you and your needs. There is also Ann Taylor Loft, if you find the other is too expensive.

Also, you may want to go over there during the week (daytime) so that they can properly help you and avoid the evening and week end rush.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
Go to a department store and get some help from the sales associates on what will help you; however, I would maybe buy a few basic pieces and would then go to Goodwill/ local thrift stores in your area to put together the rest of your wardrobe. Often, you can find things that are in great shape that people have simply grown out of, so you can find Ann Taylor/Loft pants for $3.00 instead of $40-$60.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
So I'm a very laid back and casual 27 year old female. I mostly wear jeans and speakers. I'd like to revamp my wardrobe and I'm having trouble. I like very classy, preppy clothing, but I don't want to look to old. Also I can't wear heels, so I'm kinda restricted to what I can wear. I wear non logo shirts and straight jeans with chucks most of the time. I like Express and American Eagle. Any suggestions on what I can wear? I especially need a makeover because I look like a teenager
Woman, three things you want to avoid if you want to look classy. You cannot wear speakers as well, they will be heavy.

Affordable classy for women:
J Crew (go to a store, try the fit, learn the keywords and then eBay it, stuff they sell for 75 can be obtained for 20 to 35 on eBay)
Banana Republic
Kohl's racks

Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,537,849 times
Nordstrom offers some free personal stylist services: Nordstrom Stylists | Nordstrom

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
You didn't mention any occasions. But I would propose:

1. Ann Taylor Loft or the outlet to get work clothing, they have personal shoppers. It is also pretty preppy. (Regular Ann Taylor is good for getting your work suit, but skews a little older, and it may not be your look, but you can find great items there)
2. Banana Republic of J. Crew for work clothing, maybe a few casual pieces. They have personal shopping as well.
3. Zara or H&M for basics or trends once you have established your "look"
4. Uniqlo if you are not a pear or hourglass shape for basics (see above)
5. The Limited is good for work and basics, I think they have added in personal shoppers as well

Do you have an idea on how you would like to look? Who is your "fashion icon?" What are your proportions/body shape? Approximate clothing size? This will inform my recommendations.

Macys, Nordstroms, and most big department stores have personal shoppers. I like Nordstroms, but it can be out of budget. I also like Macy's due to the clearance rack (and the INC section).

I find Express is a little young, good for the weekend or going out, but not for work!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,485 times
What's your lifestyle? What's your work environment? Do you need office clothes, casual clothes, going out clothes etc?
Anyway, since you describe a very casual look, I would suggest this for a classier, more grown-up take on what you're already doing:

- ditch the T-shirts, unless they're solid colors, good quality, and fitted

- straight-leg jeans can be okay but make sure they fit well, no baggy or shapeless silhouettes! I would also suggest a narrow bootcut and a pair of skinnies to tuck into boots. Aside from the jeans, get some good quality thick black leggings (even comfier than jeans!) and a pair of dressier pants like black wool or tweed.

- Instead of the T-shirts, try pairing the jeans or leggings with pretty tunics, feminine blouses that have interesting detail, fitted knit tops with a three-quarter length sleeve, you could even try something like a peplum top if you want to try a trendier look. Or take a solid fitted tee and top it with a longer flowy cardigan or a chunky knitted one (just not a frumpy twinset-type cardigan), or a fitted blazer or jacket - they make great knit jackets now that are like a sweatshirt fabric yet look dressy. Or you can try a chanel-style tweed jacket - don't worry, at 27 it's not going to make you look old

- get a couple of nice flattering wrap dresses and a sweater dress to wear with tights and boots

- plenty of flat shoes out there that aren't sneakers, ditch them and get some cute ballet flats, dressy flat sandals for summer, and a pair of nice riding boots to wear over skinny jeans and leggings

- invest in a nice decent-sized leather purse - no backpacks or nylon messenger bags!

- accessorize! add a chunky necklace or earrings or a couple of bangles to the jeans and tee and it'll instantly dress it up. Just make sure it looks like quality jewellery and not teenage plastic crap - you can go for wood, leather, silver, semi-precious stones, plastic's fine too as long as it's made well and doesn't look cheap. Also try scarves - light cotton ones or big chunky ones in the winter. Play with belts to add shape to dresses or looser tops.

Mmm, I think that's it, try it out and have some fun with it!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
I agree with the post above. As far as jeans are concerned I would just add one thing: invest in dark wash jeans, they look a bit more classy and less teenage-ish.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
OP first of all you need to decide what look/s you want.

There's no point advising you to dress like Jessica Simpson if your style is Ashleigh.

Make up a vision board, with looks you like.

Once you have added a few pictures you will see you repeat the same items over and over.

Once you have identified those items, buy the best you can afford in a neutral colour. If it were me, I'd probably find a boyfriend style blazer to be a great investment, also a denim jacket for weekends.

There was a rule of thumb somewhere (maybe for travelling?) that went something like this

2 skirts
4 shirts
2 pants (one cropped, one long)
1 pair jeans
2 cardigans

If you get neutrals you can interchange, and add other colours per fashion dictates such as scarves, handbags, jewellery.

Make sure whatever you buy suits your body shape and your colouring, and fits properly. Ignore sizes, go for fit.

A lot really depends on your lifestyle and personal tastes but that might give you somewhere to start.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Eddie Bauer, all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty