U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I was watching the Bethany Frankel show or whatever her name is and they had a makeover theme. They had this woman who was pretty and had disproportionately large buttocks. I thought "whoa hot" but she mentioned it as her "worst feature" and the host agreed. Her "makeover" had her wearing a loose flowing shirt that hid her derriere. That made absolutely no sense, that would be like a man trying to convince women he has a really small package.

Even in general, I've heard of women not buying a dress, pants, outfit etc because it made their butt look big. Why is this? I understand for work a woman may prefer to not have her assets emphasized to be taken seriously but why is this true for so many other situations? Do women believe men like women to have small butts?
So was she out of proportion, or did she look hot? I think in the last 10 years, starting with JLo, big butts became extremely popular; most people are trying to enhance their butt size, not cover it up. I used to get teased about my flat Irish butt all the time, so I wish I had her problem.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Default And then, there are those who DO want them...

Boosting Butts With Cement, Fix-A-Flat, Leads to Arrest - ABC News I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Me, I'm content with what the 'Butt Blaster' machine at the gym does for my narrow, rock-hard toches...

Why would I want saddlebags?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 AM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
To roll on with the stereotype train. Generally speaking, black women have been considered to have "junk in the trunk" for quite a while. Separately, black women are also not seen as "classy."

The recent explosion of "junk in the trunk" being accepted has cascaded with non-black women who are popular with black men (see J.Lo, Coco and Kim Kardashian.) Note, no one is calling any of these women classy or elegant. They are most often associated with "hip hop culture," which is the scapegoat for all that is "bad" in American society.

Note, we haven't seen a popular, mass media, "classy" or "upper class" white woman talking about her junk in the trunk. Gwyneth Paltrow went to Tracey Anderson to eliminate he perceived junk in the trunk, and she is the epitome of the WASP-y upper class all-American blonde.

Let's look at all the criticism about Michelle Obama's butt? Apparently Rush Limbaugh has nothing more important to discuss.

Unfortunately, "pop culture" thinks that having a big butt is akin to a circus act (like Hottentot Venus), not the trademark of success or the epitome of class.

Lots of men will say they like big butts, but they aren't taking that girl home to mom.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,985,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I was watching the Bethany Frankel show or whatever her name is and they had a makeover theme. They had this woman who was pretty and had disproportionately large buttocks. I thought "whoa hot" but she mentioned it as her "worst feature" and the host agreed. Her "makeover" had her wearing a loose flowing shirt that hid her derriere. That made absolutely no sense, that would be like a man trying to convince women he has a really small package.

Even in general, I've heard of women not buying a dress, pants, outfit etc because it made their butt look big. Why is this? I understand for work a woman may prefer to not have her assets emphasized to be taken seriously but why is this true for so many other situations? Do women believe men like women to have small butts?
Why WOULD you????? Not all of us view "junk in the trunk" as an asset!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 AM

13,491 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Generally, black men tend to prefer big butts, and white men don't.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
" Why do so many women not want to have a large backside?"

Go look at The People of Walmart site for the answer....

Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,076,881 times
A lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread. All these generalizations about women with large backsides are over the top.

I am not above average in this department but I wouldn't want a larger back because I just don't like people starring at my body. But c'mon people most men do like women with big behinds and they also take them home and marry them. That's not how men operate, they either are attracted to a woman or they're not. They are not thinking "gee, my mother is not gonna likemy girlfriend because she has Jennifer Lopez' behind" "that butt is gonna drop our social status two levels".

And since when does class equate to fat distribution? To me classy is showing an opened mind, not showing your ignorance by devaluing people just because they born with more fat in some part of their bodies.

Having curves is a sign of youth and that's one of the reasons why many black women look younger in their older years. I don't know why it's so hard for some women to accept that there are other attractive women in the world besides themselves. The is enough men in this world for everybody, there is no need to put down others because they don't look like us.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 09-25-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,372,586 times
OP I'd be curious to know the approximate age of the makeover guest on the show. I know the host is in her early 40s. I find that in general age is the deciding factor in whether a woman feels pressure to maximize or minimize the booty. Those in their early 30s or younger received the cultural programming of "big booty = desirable" during formative years, while those in their late 30s and older came up during a time when a big butt was not considered attractive.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:27 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
Yes, some men like a woman with a big butt, but, who can say most men and know it as fact? They can't.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 AM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
A lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread. All these generalizations about women with large backsides are over the top.

I am not above average in this department but I wouldn't want a larger back because I just don't like people starring at my body. But c'mon people most men do like women with big behinds and they also take them home and marry them. That's not how men operate, they either are attracted to a woman or they're not. They are not thinking "gee, my mother is not gonna likemy girlfriend because she has Jennifer Lopez' behind" "that butt is gonna drop our social status two levels".

And since when does class equate to fat distribution? To me classy is showing an opened mind, not showing your ignorance by devaluing people just because they born with more fat in some part of their bodies.

Having curves is a sign of youth and that's one of the reasons why many black women look younger in their older years. I don't know why it's so hard for some women to accept that there are other attractive women in the world besides themselves. The is enough men in this world for everybody, there is no need to put down others because they don't look like us.
I don't always have the luxury of people assuming I am classy due to generalizations about women in my ethnic group (of course shaped by the crazy people that are the only representations in mass media and pop culture.) The first assumption is "not classy" until proven otherwise.

I am shaped the way I am shaped, and that isn't changing any time soon. I also do not see the perceptions of people shaped like me shifting either.

Ask the average black woman (teen) who went through puberty as a preteen, and developed "curves" then. Shortly thereafter the sketchy comments (street harassment) from older boys and men followed, and shaped her perception of "public spaces" and walking around in public. At some point is is expected that those comments will happen whether you are in yoga pants, loose sweat pants, or a poodle skirt. 8-fold if you happen to have a big butt.

Maybe having a big butt and being non-black feels like a novelty and garners respectful attention, but from my chair it comes with unwanted attention and assumptions. (And I do not have much junk in the trunk, and have been the victim of street harassment, in middle class areas, since I was about 11)

People of my gender and ethnic group, particularly ones with big butts, are considered "not classy" until proven otherwise. I don't have the luxury of someone "assuming" that I am sophisticated/classy/etc on first glance.

Another troubling thing about the OPs original assertion is that women should alter their appearance to be pleasing to men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty