U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:51 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times

Advertisements

Okay, most outrageous...drum roll...has to go to Fran Drescher, in "The Nanny".
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...&bih=672&dpr=2

She was supposed to be a nanny...like jeans, t shirts, tennis shoes...instead she wore micro mini skirts, tight sweaters, stilettos.

I guess it worked for her though, she did end up getting the rich Dad to marry her....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,123,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't watch much tv, but I always found a disconnect between professional attire, and money for clothes...

Let's take "Sex and the City" for example, Carrie was a writer...and yet, had a closet full of $1200 shoes, and designer clothing....and hardly any of it appropriate for work...maybe she was really a call girl.

I thought she worked from home and submitted her work via email.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 PM

11,037 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
I gave up on Glee after the 3rd season or so, but I remember the character Emma wore Kate Spade dresses on the regular. They easily go for $400 a pop. Who knew Ohio public school guidance counselors made that much money?
The high school characters all have Target clothes mixed into their wardrobes. I always found that to be realistic. I don't really see it as unrealistic for a professional woman with no family to be able to spend a little more on clothes. Especially one who is very particular about her appearance.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
I gave up on Glee after the 3rd season or so, but I remember the character Emma wore Kate Spade dresses on the regular. They easily go for $400 a pop. Who knew Ohio public school guidance counselors made that much money?
High school characters on TV are always way overdressed. Real teenagers are wearing flip-flops, not heels to school.

I stopped watching True Blood after the second season, but I remember reading in an article that the costume designers would get clothes from Wal-Mart and Kohl's for the characters, because that's what people in small town Louisiana would be wearing.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 AM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
High school characters on TV are always way overdressed. Real teenagers are wearing flip-flops, not heels to school.

I stopped watching True Blood after the second season, but I remember reading in an article that the costume designers would get clothes from Wal-Mart and Kohl's for the characters, because that's what people in small town Louisiana would be wearing.
I distinctly remember going through a heels phase in high school. Although at the time my faves were some chunky heeled oxfords. . I alternated from Skechers, Adidas cleats to fake doc martens to keds and then these heels.

My sister went through a longer high school heels phase. She had everything from wedges to pumps to platform sneakers.

I think it is pretty common but now in retrospect we laugh. But my sister worked at express in high school and heels were part of the uniform.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,281,590 times
The few times I watched CSI: Miami the women detectives were in the field collecting evidence wearing white pants, high heels, lowcut shirts... The only thing that really bugged me was the white pants though - I found that so ridiculous, even for a TV show.

A CSI detective goes into a muddy Miami swamp to collet samples from a decaying dead body while wearing white pants - yeah right.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM

19,636 posts, read 53,495,108 times
And chase the bad guys in heels? Pu-leeze! Ditto for the medical examiners.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And chase the bad guys in heels? Pu-leeze! Ditto for the medical examiners.
This was always an issue for me while watching 'cop' shows...how in the hell are these women running around dirty, dank warehouses/docks/cities wearing 5" stiletto heels?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM

4,968 posts, read 13,999,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Another fun only-on-TV thing is women who get dressed up to hang around their own homes. I know when I've got a lazy Saturday planned, I'll totally wear a cocktail dress and heels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We were watching a movie the other day, and the wife was wearing heels while cooking dinner for the family. I guess shows just don't think bare feet or socks look good, since most characters are wearing shoes (women in heels) at all times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL when I get off work, I'm literally undressing in the car - taking off earrings, shoes, scarves, etc. Undoing my belt. By the time I'm home I look like I've been through a wind machine. I cannot WAIT to get into my sweats or yoga pants and a t-shirt, with a hoodie in the wintertime. Bare feet three seasons out of the year and fuzzy socks in the winter...
So glad you all posted these comments. Many times while watching tv, my sister and I comment on how when we get home from work, the first thing we do is kick off our shoes and put on our lounging clothes. Unlike the women in movies or on tv shows who seem to have to look well put together in their own homes.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Anybody who has watched soap operas is aware of how ridiculous TV wardrobes have been for many years. I remember watching TV secretaries, flower shop ladies , hospital interns and housewives in high heels and provocative low cut dresses.

I also remember seeing commercials in the 50's and 60's with women mopping floors in nice dresses and heels. I remember even asking my mother if she was supposed to be dressing up to clean house! She was not amused.

I also remember Totie Fields acting as a cleaning lady in a hospital drama and she had 3 inch fingernails. Do TV people think we don't notice things like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or