U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times

Advertisements

I thought about this due to the cami-to-the-interview thread. How many instances of absurd supposedly professional clothes can you thin k od?

My first one is the heels and long loose hair worn by medical examiners and police detectives. Ever heard of contamination of a crime scene by dropping a stray hair? Ever stand in 4" heels in your regular clothes with no mask while cutting open dead bodies? Ridiculous!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
So glad you brought this up - here are a few examples of what I consider "ridiculous professional attire" on TV:

Lisa Edelstein, hospital administrator on House - yeah, right...

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...82-469-625.jpg

Skyler White, Breaking Bad...

http://hourglassy.com/wp-content/upl...4-ep-9.bmp.jpg

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
I don't watch much tv, but I always found a disconnect between professional attire, and money for clothes...

Let's take "Sex and the City" for example, Carrie was a writer...and yet, had a closet full of $1200 shoes, and designer clothing....and hardly any of it appropriate for work...maybe she was really a call girl.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't watch much tv, but I always found a disconnect between professional attire, and money for clothes...

Let's take "Sex and the City" for example, Carrie was a writer...and yet, had a closet full of $1200 shoes, and designer clothing....and hardly any of it appropriate for work...maybe she was really a call girl.
LOL. Also her friends.

Two Broke Girls don't look so broke.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:13 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times
The 90's hit show Ally McBeal was infamous for the women at the law firm wearing ridiculously skimpy and provocative outfits. The actresses were required to maintain near-anorexia figures. The fabulous Jane Krakowski left the show over this issue.
She's done fine ever since!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,900,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My first one is the heels and long loose hair worn by medical examiners and police detectives. Ever heard of contamination of a crime scene by dropping a stray hair? Ever stand in 4" heels in your regular clothes with no mask while cutting open dead bodies? Ridiculous!
Yes!

And sometimes you can catch a glimpse of the clothespins holding their shirts (even hospital scrubs) tight under their breasts, to emphasise the curves.

Then there's the way, at the beginning of the second season of every show, the lead actress grows 2-3 cup sizes. Usually after a few episodes where she wears obscuring, loose tops or blazers. Her show gets renewed; she gets a boob job.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
About the photo of Skyler White (Anna Gunn) in Breaking Bad:

The character intentionally dressed like a bimbo to persuade the IRS auditor that she didn't know the proper way of doing the books (which of course, the character did know.) So please don't judge by that particular screen cap.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,310,826 times
I seldom watch TV now, so I'm reaching waaayyy back to Melrose Place.
Heather Locklear (Amanda) wore the shortest, tightest skirts and long jackets to the office. She was the boss. Her underling, Allison, wore the same things (not so short, though). They were barelegged and wore 4-inch heels.
They looked cute, but in real life, they would have been ordered home to change clothes.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
About the photo of Skyler White (Anna Gunn) in Breaking Bad:

The character intentionally dressed like a bimbo to persuade the IRS auditor that she didn't know the proper way of doing the books (which of course, the character did know.) So please don't judge by that particular screen cap.
I've watched the entire series - when Skyler went to work (and had the affair with Ted) she did NOT dress professionally. I'm not basing that call on just one episode or scene.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've watched the entire series - when Skyler went to work (and had the affair with Ted) she did NOT dress professionally. I'm not basing that call on just one episode or scene.
So true; just this week I was watching a Season 2 episode, in which Skylar was wearing an extremely low cut blue dress and 4-inch heels at work- this was when she was pregnant. The dress revealed as much cleavage as that cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or